The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Who will be Sellers at the Trade Deadline and what players will be available?

In looking at the standings in the East, it looks like most if not all of the playoff teams are set.  Detroit, Columbus, Philadelphia, New Jersey, NY Islanders, Buffalo, Ottawa and Montreal all look to be out of the race.  They will be Sellers in my opinion.  Of course we don't know yet if we will be Buyers or not.  I would say within the next 4 weeks JR will be making a decision on whether we are buying or selling.

In the event that we are Buyers, who do you think JR would target amongst these teams?  I'm excluding the West right now as it's still a tight race for at least 2 spots, maybe 3 and it's harder to trade within the conference, so I'm only looking at the East teams for now.

Here is a list of players that will most likely be available at the trade deadline:

Claude Giroux

Rasmus Ristolainen

Tomas Tatar

Damon Severson

Max Domi

Cal Clutterbuck

Scott Mayfield

Zdeno Chara

Kyle Okposo

Cody Eakin

Colin Miller

Vladislav Namestnikov

Nick Leddy

Danny DeKeyser

Marc Staal

Troy Stecher

Ben Chiarot

Brett Kulak

Joel Edmundson

Tyler Toffoli

Chris Tierney

Nicholas Paul

Zachary Sanford

Nick Holden

That's a pretty good list.  Most are gonna be UFA's.  IF the Canucks were to be Buyers at the deadline who would you target and who would help us the most?

33 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Why are we buyers? Trading more draft picks and prospects (opps we have none actually) so we nudge ourselves into the playoffs? Benning has been doing that for 8 years, sure worked out well. 

My post says "in the event we are buyers".  It doesn't say we "will" be buyers...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, drummer4now said:

IMO we should be sellers now as the playoffs are seeming more and more unlikely… 

Try to unload the plugs and bad contracts…

If we didn’t lose the last three and overtime loses I would say we need to be buyers.. 

Sure the phones will be ringing off the hook for our rejects. Unless you're planning to package a 'bad' contract (Myers/Poolman/OEL/Dickinson?) with EP, Brock or Miller no one would be interested and if you do that good luck finding a buyer with that much cap room. We'll either sell Boeser or Miller for a good return or (more likely IMO) do absolutely nothing between now and the deadline.

4 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Why are we buyers? Trading more draft picks and prospects (opps we have none actually) so we nudge ourselves into the playoffs? Benning has been doing that for 8 years, sure worked out well. 

So, as they are beneath being noticed, I guess it wouldn't hurt to trade away guys like Lockwood, or Klimovich, or Rathbone or Woo?  :P

regards,  G.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Exactly, seems to be a Canucks thing even well before Benning. Nonis made some bad deals for this same reason as well.

If the current squad can get in with a minor tweak or two then so be it, otherwise this is a mute point.

I think we should be both. A buyer and seller.

Why we should be buying.

1. We might still make the playoffs.

2. Good players on expiring contracts (but not the star level players) may become available at a discount, trade for them with the intention of retaining them.

Why we should be selling.

1. We might not make the playoffs. Even if we do, this is probably not the year to load up by giving up prime assets.

2. TDL offers the best return for your assets.

3. Use TDL as an opportunity to re-tool.

I point to 2013-14 Tampa Bay Lightnings. They traded Martin St. Louis, their captain and their best player for Callahan, 2014 1st, 2015 1st (conditional but it was met). 

Callahan helped strengthen their depth in the middle. They made the playoffs that year, although it was a first round exit. Then, they made the cup finals one year later. And they have been contenders ever since, winning back-to-back as we all know.

As a seller, I think we should consider selling either Miller or Boeser. I love Pearson-Miller-Boeser line quite a bit that it's really difficult to propose trading of either of the two players. Miller's value >> Boeser as a versatile player that puts up points and playing PWF game. I'd entertain Miller trade and if there is return for asset that exceeds our expectation, we should do it. 

If we can unload Poolman as well, I'd do that. Just to clear the cap space.

As a buyer, I would like to get a 3C back, especially if Miller is traded.

Getting a Dman would be nice as well. I've always liked Severson, Edmundson, and Chiarot. But I think the ask would be too high for these guys and they can be targetted in the UFA if they hit the market (but unlikely we will have the cap to afford them).

Miller +  to NYR for some combination of {Lundqvist, Schneider} + {Chytil, LaFreninere} + {1st, 2nd}. Take on a contract to make the numbers work out.

If NYR accepts, I do this trade.

Edited by khay
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, khay said:

I think we should be both. A buyer and seller.

Why we should be buying.

1. We might still make the playoffs.

2. Good players on expiring contracts (but not the star level players) may become available at a discount, trade for them with the intention of retaining them.

Why we should be selling.

1. We might not make the playoffs. Even if we do, this is probably not the year to load up by giving up prime assets.

2. TDL offers the best return for your assets.

3. Use TDL as an opportunity to re-tool.

I point to 2013-14 Tampa Bay Lightnings. They traded Martin St. Louis, their captain and their best player for Callahan, 2014 1st, 2015 1st (conditional but it was met). 

Callahan helped strengthen their depth in the middle. They made the playoffs that year, although it was a first round exit. Then, they made the cup finals one year later. And they have been contenders ever since, winning back-to-back as we all know.

As a seller, I think we should consider selling either Miller or Boeser. I love Pearson-Miller-Boeser line quite a bit that it's really difficult to propose trading of either of the two players. Miller's value >> Boeser as a versatile player that puts up points and playing PWF game. I'd entertain Miller trade and if there is return for asset that exceeds our expectation, we should do it. 

If we can unload Poolman as well, I'd do that. Just to clear the cap space.

As a buyer, I would like to get a 3C back, especially if Miller is traded.

Getting a Dman would be nice as well. I've always liked Severson, Edmundson, and Chiarot. But I think the ask would be too high for these guys and they can be targetted in the UFA if they hit the market (but unlikely we will have the cap to afford them).

Miller +  to NYR for some combination of {Lundqvist, Schneider} + {Chytil, LaFreninere} + {1st, 2nd}. Take on a contract to make the numbers work out.

If NYR accepts, I do this trade.

so we are sellers, and not buyers then, no?

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

depends. E.g. lets say we can shed salary by moving Pearson, Hamonic and Dickie. If in all that we have an extra pick, I'd use it to get Paul from Ottawa, and work on extending him. 

I really like your idea, and hope JR is able to accomplish something like that.  That's a smart building move.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really like your idea, and hope JR is able to accomplish something like that.  That's a smart building move.  

it would be nice if we could move Pearson and Hamonic before the TDL, but we might have to wait until the summer when Hamonics NTC expires and Pearson has a 7 team no trade list, and we can send them somewhere. Its the only leverage we really have to get them to agree to a trade now, otherwise Hamonic will end up in AZ and Pearson may not like his landing spot either. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

so we are sellers, and not buyers then, no?

Sell Miller/Boeser, Poolman, and maybe even Pearson. And JR's favorite, Sutter (if he's tradeable). I would add Myers there as well if anyone can take on his contract.

Buy 3C and depth D with potential to get better. 

Better yet, get young 3C and D in a trade involving Miller with NYR.

Use TDL as a chance to re-tool the team on the fly regardless of whether we are in the playoffs race or not.

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

The full context of my reply already implied in no event should/would we be buyers... Can't believe I have to spell it out. 

Yep, there is no event that we should be buyers.  At this point even another big winning streak really doesn't mean anything, the team isn't close to being a contender so shouldn't be giving away futures for a tiny bump in short term success.

It should either be "stand pat" at the deadline if we are somehow within a game or two of the playoff bar... or trade away veterans for a mix of futures, prospects, and younger NHL roster players under club control.

If we do trade away a player or two and free up some cap space in the process, we can also be a 3rd party to grease the wheels on another trade where the contending team can't afford the incoming cap hit unless they offload a little money.  We can take expiring contracts in exchange for a sweetener.

• Upvote 1

The Canucks will be sellers, but don't expect draft picks, imo.  They'll make hockey trades for players and almost ready prospects I think. 

All in play, though probably only 2-3 of them dealt

Miller

Boeser

OEL

Garland

Myers

Pearson

Hamonic

Schenn

Dickinson

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1