The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Motte drawing interest

22 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Just need a new GM soon

Yeah. Cutting it close though. When is that announcement coming with respect to the new GM, and his assistants? Cause that executive/management team needs to asses, and then make some moves. But if they don’t have time, then I’d rather them stand pat than make the wrong move. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Because we need to get younger. I'd prefer a prospect who fits our needs, but you have to give to get.  If there isn't a good return, you keep Motte.

I’m not sure how many teams are lining up to pay up for Motte. How many teams overpay for a bottom six player? 

If Motte nets us 2 2nd’s, like you’ve said, then I’m all in on that. Try to resign the guy come free agency, and that’s a double win. Garner picks for him, and then resign him to a decent deal and he stays in blue and green colours. 

Motte is the type of bottom six player the Canucks need. If the deal isn’t a good one, we keep the man in Canuck colors. 

Don't trade him unless a) we have zero hopes for playoffs AND b) the return is too good to resist like a 2nd round pick!! 

We already lack guys like him who's got heart & soul and can contribute in so many ways... Roussel was brought in to be an upgrade but turned out he was way worse!!!

I'm more curious as to what his asking price would be at UFA in the summer. If its anything more than 2 mil, I don't think I would want to make a big deal for more bottom six guys.

I love Motte, but if there is a suitor willing to give up some good assets, I am definitely not opposed.  With Higmore's emergence, and Lockwood's development, I am more confident finding a way to replace Motte's ability.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Underdog7 said:

We’re five points out of a playoff spot and not even halfway through the season. This type of talk is stupid especially for a guy like Motte. Re-signing Motte should be priority number one before even mentioning his name in trade talk.

Boeser should be the top priority.

4 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

yay, teams like one of our 4th liners, unless we get a 1st (which I think is ridiculous) then I would not move him, because then we need to go looking for a replacement and we have not had a good bottom 6 since 2011 (and even then it was an amazing 3rd line and some 4th line plugs)

Tanner Glass and max lapiere were on that 4th line. They were both good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't understand the willingness to trade the only good players we have. There's q reason teams are interested. He is one of the best bottom 6 players in the league. We finally get a good one who isn't a pylon and want to trade him?

Motte is young, you build your bottom 6 around him and sign him long term. He's been playing 3rd line minutes lately and deserves to be paid like a 3rd line winger who can kill penalties and score the odd goal, 10-15 in a full season is pretty likely. We're not going to get a massive return on him anyway and no prospect or 2nd-3rd round pick is worth what he brings to the table. It's no surprise Highmore looks so good, he's playing alongside Motte.

It was Highmore who made that great forecheck, stole the puck and then fed Motte in front for a goal in Florida 

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

Highmore looking like an NHL player under Boudreau certainly helps moving on from Motte. 

Exactly, highmore and motte play the same game. We don't need both. I'd like to see one moved and a player brought in that provides some grit and toughness. Our bottom six is too soft in my opinion.

I do value motte more than Highmore tho. Motte to a contender should fetch us a 2nd rounder or a solid prospect. People might say that is too much but Motte is the type of player that excels in the playoffs. All teams want that kinda player 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

It's no surprise Highmore looks so good, he's playing alongside Motte.

Highmore looked good last year as well when Motte was out of the lineup.  However he does look great on a line with Motte, two guys with tons of speed and able to create turnovers on the forecheck.  

28 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Exactly, highmore and motte play the same game. We don't need both. I'd like to see one moved and a player brought in that provides some grit and toughness. Our bottom six is too soft in my opinion.

I do value motte more than Highmore tho. Motte to a contender should fetch us a 2nd rounder or a solid prospect. People might say that is too much but Motte is the type of player that excels in the playoffs. All teams want that kinda player 

I tink they'd want a player back for motte.  He's too valuable to them to let him go for a "maybe" 4 years from now

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

Surely we can get someone else who is hard to play against and is overall better than him for less the amount..

One can hope.  Sounds easy enough, but maybe it isn't, as it hasn't happened yet. . To solve the issue Canucks have to draft with this in mind imho.

• Like 1

Come deadline day if we are likely out of it, Sell sell sell. If we here in contention, Stay the course or 1 for 1 trades.

I feel like this is the first time in a looooong time where we have a roster full of valuable pieces. Could do an easy retool if our new management believes we need to go in another direction with our core group.

Vegas already loaded up with eichel, I'd bet the other top teams are all looking to add something. Could be a good year for selling high

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Come deadline day if we are likely out of it, Sell sell sell. If we here in contention, Stay the course or 1 for 1 trades.

I feel like this is the first time in a looooong time where we have a roster full of valuable pieces. Could do an easy retool if our new management believes we need to go in another direction with our core group.

Vegas already loaded up with eichel, I'd bet the other top teams are all looking to add something. Could be a good year for selling high

Miller will be worth a king's ransom

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, rekker said:

I disagree. Dickenson is the kind of player we need more of. He isn't easy to play against. 

Are you confident you've seen enough from him under Bruce to think he's a key piece? He wasn't very good under Green, I think he's been better under Boudreau but I haven't exactly been focusing on him.

I ask (in earnest) because he would be a clear target to move with his cap hit.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1