The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Motte drawing interest

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Miller will be worth a king's ransom

I'll trade anyone for a kings ransom, Including huggy when he has 1/2 years left on his deal for every pick and prospect the devils thought they owned.

We could sell big time. Miller and BB at deadline. Those two guys combined could bring in upwards of 6 young pieces ( picks and A prospects ) PLUS our own high first after we finish the year mediocre.
And honestly, Based off what we have seen playing these top teams lately... We need that high skill depth for the wave after wave offense / defense.

It would cost soo much to add to the existing core that pushes it into elite territory, I'm not sure its worth it.

We will probably stay the course, And have a 2:1 win ratio to finish the year, Making the playoffs with a first / second round exit however. 
Exciting regardless :P

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't see why it's not worth an audition.  We have a top 6 based, almost exclusively, on skilled players.........why not construct your top 6 a little differently.  Motte is a puck retrieval guy who has pretty decent hands and skilled guys like playing with someone like that.  I've been saying for a couple of years they should try and create a more balanced line up

I guess he could be sort of a Hyman-lite? dunno. It seems like a stretch to me to have him there, but I guess you never know. 

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I would hate to see Motte gone but if we are out of the playoff picture I'm not against it.

If we trade Miller I hope we get a Miller in return...:unsure: 

He's a rare gem. 

If we move Motte, along with Pearson, Hamonic and Halak's bonus maybe we get to keep Miller.

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Now we're talking.

It can be done!

I think it could be, it would take some of the best GM work the team has ever had tho. But we are close to assembling the best group we've had since Burkie. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Exactly, highmore and motte play the same game. We don't need both. I'd like to see one moved and a player brought in that provides some grit and toughness. Our bottom six is too soft in my opinion.

I do value motte more than Highmore tho. Motte to a contender should fetch us a 2nd rounder or a solid prospect. People might say that is too much but Motte is the type of player that excels in the playoffs. All teams want that kinda player 

his cap hit is very easy to absorb right now too. Most teams have a guy they can waive to fit him in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canuck Luck said:

Why would we trade Motte?

We constantly have ahl level 4th line forwards. Now we have a very high energy player in Motte and people bring him up in trade??!!

lol sure.

competitive teams have to turn over players. Overpaying for bottom 6 has been an issue we can't afford going forward 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

Why would we trade Motte?

We constantly have ahl level 4th line forwards. Now we have a very high energy player in Motte and people bring him up in trade??!!

lol sure.

We wouldn’t, and we shouldn’t.

Motte helps get us closer to contending than a third round pick.

Re-sign him.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

competitive teams have to turn over players. Overpaying for bottom 6 has been an issue we can't afford going forward 

but you want to keep Miller who would bring back a team changing return, with no guarantee he's going to re-sign in Van?

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I would hate to see Motte gone but if we are out of the playoff picture I'm not against it.

If we trade Miller I hope we get a Miller in return...:unsure: 

He's a rare gem. 

Not unless we snag K'Andre from the Rangers. Rutherford's been quite open about wanting to get younger if he's making trades, it's unlikely Miller would be moved for a prime aged player.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

would MIller be enough to pry Byfield out of LA?

Probably not, LA's been solid this season but they're still better off gradually rebuilding and competing than trying to go for it. They're still lead by a 37 year old Brown, a Kopitar who will be 35 before next season begins, and a Doughty who just turned 32. They got two cups out of their last core, they're better off grooming the next one than trying to milk another cup out of this group. 

They've got Kopitar signed for two more years, they just signed Danault to a lengthy deal and he's probably playing as their 2c. Miller would be an upgrade, but I think a recent top 2 guy would have LA balking. He could very well be the franchise center that replaces Kopitar. 

Just now, stawns said:

but you want to keep Miller who would bring back a team changing return, with no guarantee he's going to re-sign in Van?

I'd want a handshake deal out of Millers camp that he's sign an extension as soon as he's able to. 

I'm not anti-Motte, just see the writing on the wall with our cap issues and his inevitable raise. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Not unless we snag K'Andre from the Rangers. Rutherford's been quite open about wanting to get younger if he's making trades, it's unlikely Miller would be moved for a prime aged player.

Probably not, LA's been solid this season but they're still better off gradually rebuilding and competing than trying to go for it. They're still lead by a 37 year old Brown, a Kopitar who will be 35 before next season begins, and a Doughty who just turned 32. They got two cups out of their last core, they're better off grooming the next one than trying to milk another cup out of this group. 

They've got Kopitar signed for two more years, they just signed Danault to a lengthy deal and he's probably playing as their 2c. Miller would be an upgrade, but I think a recent top 2 guy would have LA balking. He could very well be the franchise center that replaces Kopitar. 

depends if they want to win one morewith this core I guess.  Miller goes a long way to getting them there

I wouldn't say no to Chytll and Schneider + for Miller......depending on what the + was I guess

36 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Are you confident you've seen enough from him under Bruce to think he's a key piece? He wasn't very good under Green, I think he's been better under Boudreau but I haven't exactly been focusing on him.

I ask (in earnest) because he would be a clear target to move with his cap hit.

I like him at wing, which I believe he's been used more as by BB. He wins his share of battles, defensively down low. Hands of stone,  which makes him somewhat overpaid. But he's hardly the issue on the team imho. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

depends if they want to win one morewith this core I guess.  Miller goes a long way to getting them there

I wouldn't say no to Chytll and Schneider + for Miller......depending on what the + was I guess

He does, and Miller is extremely valuable, but I just don't see it. If any prospect is untouchable for LA it's Byfield. You're much more likely to get a Turcotte or Vilardi imo. LA's already done more this season than most had them pegged to do, I don't imagine Rob Blake fancies his team as contenders. Even with an improvement in Miller I still wouldn't take them over teams like St. Louis or Colorado. 

There's also the divisional bit, how often do you see a trade of that magnitude take place between divisional rivals? 

I think a New York or Boston trade is much more likely. 

Edited by Coconuts

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

I like him at wing, which I believe he's been used more as by BB. He wins his share of battles, defensively down low. Hands of stone,  which makes him somewhat overpaid. But he's hardly the issue on the team imho. 

He's pretty quick too, big body, can get in on the forecheck. Being an offensive black hole limits him a bit but I agree there's other things to like.

I'd also agree he's better at wing for sure. 

• Cheers 2