The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] IF We Trade Miller, Then Also Trade ___(?)

On 1/29/2022 at 9:29 PM, aGENT said:

If he does, we trade him.

Maybe.

Player primes are roughly 24-32 with peaking at 27-28.

Like I've said all along, our window is roughly 2-7 years from now, with our best chance at a cup when Hughes and Petey are 27/28 +/-

Why couldn't all those players contribute in that time frame?

That's not too say we can't still be a bubble playoff team the next couple years but if we want to build a contender, we need to BUILD a contender.

Sure, I don't see us as big free agent spenders the next couple years either.  One of Paul/Tierney/Sturm for 3C and maybe a 3LD this summer. And yes we'll make sure we're pay our young guys.

Again, 4 years is Hughes/Pettersson's peak +/- and likely our best for at a cup. We could do a lot worse than a  solid support player on a cheap ELC.

Apologies for a late response (again). I'm finding the Scotties curling to be monopolizing my attention. I was writing a lengthy response, and trust me it was brilliant, and then I managed to erase it... completely. (sigh)

Short response from what I recall my intentions were, I still have reservations regarding the level of talent which will be on this team in 4 year's time *as in, lots of talent, but inexperienced). Moving Miller (which does make sense from one POV) could bring lots of benefits. It could also lead to a migration on the part of a number of current roster players who are being relied upon to fill the core over the next 4+ years.

Maybe Boeser gets traded because he wants "too much". If Horvat wants something close to his market value, then maybe he also gets traded. What about the prospects/young players already with the team, or those who may be acquired from moving the young veteran players from the Canucks? Will there be enough to pay them in 4 year's time, without trading some of those other, now older guys, from the core?

Anyhoo, I'm tired, and I'm going to bed. Maybe I'll get back to this later.  :)

regards,  G.

Just consolidating some of the trade ideas that have been proposed lately (well the ones I like) and what would be the impact on our draft picks, cap, and depth chart if they all happened (yes, unrealistic just dreaming). These were not necessarily my ideas, so full credit to those that proposed them.

At or before the 2022 TDL...

Trade 1

To NYR: Miller (50% retained) + Schenn

To VAN: Schneider + Barron C + Kravtsov RW

Trade 2

To LAK: Boeser + Rathbone

To VAN: Gabe Vilardi C/RW + Brock Faber RD + 3rd round pick

Trade 3

To BOS: Garland

To VAN: Lysell RW + 1st round pick + Moore LD (cap dump)

Trade 4

To WSH (or similar): Halak (50% retained)

To VAN: 2nd round pick

Trade 5

To ARI: Dickinson + 2nd round pick from Halak trade

To VAN: Lawson Crouse LW

Other possible trades: Motte, Hamonic, Chiasson for picks

In the off season...

Trade 6

To FLA: 3rd round pick

To VAN: Hornqvist RW + 1st round pick

(FLA will be desperate to shed cap and Hornqvist will not go to a DET/OTT type team)

Key UFA signing

Vincent Trocheck C/RW - $7m x 6 years

(We need more top C depth, not just EP and Bo)

How does it look?

Likely total cap hit in 2022/23 = $78m

Available picks:

image.thumb.png.e888197035bcbc655d873bc623e7b94a.png

New Depth Chart (* = expires after 1 season):

LW: Pettersson, Crouse, Hoglander, Pearson, Highmore

C: Trocheck, Horvat, Barron, Vilardi, Lammikko

RW: Podkolzin, Hornqvist*, Kravtsov, Lysell, Klimovich, Lockwood

LD: Hughes, OEL, Moore*, Jurmo

RD: Myers, Schneider, Hamonic*, Poolman, Faber, Burroughs, Juulsen, Woo

G: Demko, Martin, Silovs, DiPietro

* = these contracts expire after 1 season

• 2 weeks later...

Should we slide back, & know we won't qualify for this yr's PO's, would say we should trade 2 big names.

1- Miller/Bo  ..pick 1. Whichever asset will draw the greatest return, that such established names deserve.

2- Boeser/Garland  ..Again, pick 1.

^The sequence of these deals is prob also unimportant. You might attach Ham, Poolman, JD or Halak if counterpart is willing, & it doesn't lessen return.

Time to try something bold (Im sorry):

Boeser, Poolman, Hamonic, Pearson, Dickinson, Garland

Re-sign Motte, Lammikko, Highmore

xxx Horvat xxx (ideally a big nasty 2 way line)

Hoagie EP Podz

Motte Lammikko Highmore

xxx xxx Lockwood

Hughes Schenn

OEL Burroughs (have these two got a look yet?)

Rathbone (?) Meyers

xxx

Demko

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

First post, go easy lol. Have read these forms for years and find everyones different view points and ideas very interesting. Finally decided to join. Taking into account what JR has said about getting younger, getting picks, prospects and young players back in any trades and putting an emphasis on speed and skill this is what i came up with. Also trying to be realistic that teams will not give up a Schneider or Newhook as much as we would like.

I would love to keep Miller. He is the heartbeat of the team. If he signed for say 4x8 mill, i would be all for it but can't see it happening. If only he was a few years younger. And his trade value being an all time high. 

Sign Boeser 5x6.5 mill and trade.

Van Boeser for LA JAD, Faber. Rumours that LA wants scoring. 

Van Garland for NJ Bodqvist, Shakir Muk. Bodqvist has been on Jerseys 3rd line, putting up decent numbers, has the speed and skill, put him with Petey.

Van Miller for Col Compher[cap], Barron, Kaut, 1st 23.

Van Motte, Chiasson for NYR 2nd.

Halak to whomever for 3rd.

Flip Compher, trade Pearson, Dickinson, Poolman, Arizona has a ton of cap space this summer. 

Sign Nichuskin.

Trading all these guys will give a lot better 1st rd pick this year[Slafkovsky}. Lineup in a couple years after contracts expire.

Bodqvist Petey Nichuskin 1

Slafkovsky JAD Kaut 2a

Hogs Horvat Pods 2b

Lockwood Lammiko Highmore

Hughes Faber

Shakir Barron

Oel Woo

Rathbone Juulsen

Demko

Martin

2 hours ago, Boknows08 said:

First post, go easy lol. Have read these forms for years and find everyones different view points and ideas very interesting. Finally decided to join. Taking into account what JR has said about getting younger, getting picks, prospects and young players back in any trades and putting an emphasis on speed and skill this is what i came up with. Also trying to be realistic that teams will not give up a Schneider or Newhook as much as we would like.

I would love to keep Miller. He is the heartbeat of the team. If he signed for say 4x8 mill, i would be all for it but can't see it happening. If only he was a few years younger. And his trade value being an all time high. 

Sign Boeser 5x6.5 mill and trade.

Van Boeser for LA JAD, Faber. Rumours that LA wants scoring. 

Van Garland for NJ Bodqvist, Shakir Muk. Bodqvist has been on Jerseys 3rd line, putting up decent numbers, has the speed and skill, put him with Petey.

Van Miller for Col Compher[cap], Barron, Kaut, 1st 23.

Van Motte, Chiasson for NYR 2nd.

Halak to whomever for 3rd.

Flip Compher, trade Pearson, Dickinson, Poolman, Arizona has a ton of cap space this summer. 

Sign Nichuskin.

Trading all these guys will give a lot better 1st rd pick this year[Slafkovsky}. Lineup in a couple years after contracts expire.

Bodqvist Petey Nichuskin 1

Slafkovsky JAD Kaut 2a

Hogs Horvat Pods 2b

Lockwood Lammiko Highmore

Hughes Faber

Shakir Barron

Oel Woo

Rathbone Juulsen

Demko

Martin

1. Welcome!

2. That is a major overhaul and well thought out. Unfortunately. I think it guts this team and unless it exceeds expectation, will cause us to lose EP and others to wanting a change of a scenery. Unless JR/PA become ruthless, I can’t see us making too many major moves like this, but should that ever occur, this is an interesting take. It pushes our window waaay down the road too, if ever. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

Boeser, as much as I love him, should be the first to go. We're relatively deep on the right side and Boeser isn't doing much when he isn't scoring, and that QO is a bitch.

Miller, we have some time with. We don't need to move him right now, especially if other teams are trying to lowball us with similar packages to what we landed for Kesler. Unless someone gives us an offer we can't refuse, wait....

As much as I think Bo is somewhat overrated here (still waiting on that Selke nomination), he does play harder minutes than anyone else. Moving him would force those minutes onto....I don't even know. For the time being we need Bo.

Garland is young and signed to a pretty team friendly deal, and adds some bite to the team as well. We don't move him unless there's another team significantly overpays.

Myers eats up a lot of salary, but he's an important part of the team. Our right side is in shambles without him, unless we manage to land a top 4 RD on another trade. 

Ideally, I'd like to try and move out guys like Poolman, Hamonic, Dickinson and Pearson. I doubt any of them have much tangible value except for Pearson, but hopefully we can offload a few of them on deadline day as contending teams get desperate to bolster their ranks for a playoff run.

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Boeser, as much as I love him, should be the first to go. We're relatively deep on the right side and Boeser isn't doing much when he isn't scoring, and that QO is a bitch.

Miller, we have some time with. We don't need to move him right now, especially if other teams are trying to lowball us with similar packages to what we landed for Kesler. Unless someone gives us an offer we can't refuse, wait....

As much as I think Bo is somewhat overrated here (still waiting on that Selke nomination), he does play harder minutes than anyone else. Moving him would force those minutes onto....I don't even know. For the time being we need Bo.

Garland is young and signed to a pretty team friendly deal, and adds some bite to the team as well. We don't move him unless there's another team significantly overpays.

Myers eats up a lot of salary, but he's an important part of the team. Our right side is in shambles without him, unless we manage to land a top 4 RD on another trade. 

Ideally, I'd like to try and move out guys like Poolman, Hamonic, Dickinson and Pearson. I doubt any of them have much tangible value except for Pearson, but hopefully we can offload a few of them on deadline day as contending teams get desperate to bolster their ranks for a playoff run.

Why move Hamonic? He's the best defensive-defenseman we have. And quite cheap for us at 3m/year. 
Myers at 6m should go before we think about moving Hammer. 

Myers + Poolman + Dickinson + Pearson = 14m. 

Canucks should try to make a trade to Montreal for Savard, since they're going to need to do a rebuild anyway. 3.5m for another good  shutdown defenseman. 

Pry Trenin out of Nashville too, and we've got ourselves a proper penalty kill. 

Edited by eeeeergh

15 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Why move Hamonic? He's the best defensive-defenseman we have. And quite cheap for us at 3m/year. 
Myers at 6m should go before we think about moving Hammer. 

Myers + Poolman + Dickinson + Pearson = 14m. 

Canucks should try to make a trade to Montreal for Savard, since they're going to need to do a rebuild anyway. 3.5m for another good  shutdown defenseman. 

Pry Trenin out of Nashville too, and we've got ourselves a proper penalty kill. 

With Montreal likely being active in free agency in the offseason, I doubt they'd be willing to move anything, and from what I recall, Savard seemed pretty happy to sign in Montreal.

14 hours ago, RWJC said:

1. Welcome!

2. That is a major overhaul and well thought out. Unfortunately. I think it guts this team and unless it exceeds expectation, will cause us to lose EP and others to wanting a change of a scenery. Unless JR/PA become ruthless, I can’t see us making too many major moves like this, but should that ever occur, this is an interesting take. It pushes our window waaay down the road too, if ever. 

I totally agree with you. I was thinking back to some of JR's interviews talking about creating cap space and looking to challenge 2-3 years from now. With all these really good prospects, my hope was that they would start to come into their own at that time. But like you said its too much youth, have to find the right balance of youth and vets. Target players that are just entering their prime. The way the team has played since the new management and coaching stuff, just need some tweaking and dump a couple guys. There is many ways to create cap space.

If we were to move Miller, something like Miller, Poolman, Schenn for Carlo, Debrusk ++

Boeser for Bodqvist and Seiganthaler. I think hes the first one to go unfortunately. 

Move Myers, Dickinson, Pearson.