The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposals] A Collection of JT Miller Proposals

HKSR

Now to play teams off against each other by leaking that we are talking to teams they face in the playoffs.

Sell soon as there are a lot more teams, especially in the East, that are out of the running already and there may be more sellers than buyers.

41 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So after doing some research, I determined a value for JT Miller in my other thread:  https://forum.canucks.com/topic/399790-discussion-the-value-of-jt-miller/

Simply put, it makes a LOT of sense for the Canucks to retain on Miller.  It could raise his value substantially.

Thought I'd put all my JT Miller proposals in one thread now for fun and discussion.  Haven't put a TON of work into looking at cap implications in every proposal, so you can call me out on them if they don't work.

NYR Proposal

Clearly there's a ton of smoke around NYR and Miller.  So here's a couple scenarios:

To NYR:  Miller (50% retained), Motte

To VAN:  Lafreniere/Kaako, Schneider

To NYR:  Miller

To VAN:  Schneider, Chytil, 1st Round Pick, 2nd Round Pick

BOS Proposal

I remember hearing Boston was interested as well.  So here goes:

To BOS:  Miller (50% retained)

To VAN:  Carlo, Debrusk, Lysell, 2nd Round Pick

WPG Proposal

I think I also read about WPG being interested in Miller.  Personally, I don't really like them as a trading partner for Miller.

To WPG:  Miller

To VAN:  Perfetti, Heinola, 2nd Round Pick

FLA Proposal

I posted this one in another thread, but I'll include it here anyways.

To FLA:  Miller (50%)

To VAN: Lundell, Hornqvist, 1st Round Pick

COL Proposal

To COL:  Miller (50%)

To VAN:  JT Compher, Alex Newhook, 2nd Round Pick

MIN Proposal

To MIN:  Miller (50%)

To VAN:  Fiala, Boldy, 3rd Round Pick

TOR Proposal

To TOR:  Hahahahahaah!! YOU WISH!  SCREW YOU TORONTO!  YOU SUCK!! 

I like all of these, and don't know which one to pick, like some fancy box of chocolates. 

50 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So after doing some research, I determined a value for JT Miller in my other thread:  https://forum.canucks.com/topic/399790-discussion-the-value-of-jt-miller/

Simply put, it makes a LOT of sense for the Canucks to retain on Miller.  It could raise his value substantially.

Thought I'd put all my JT Miller proposals in one thread now for fun and discussion.  Haven't put a TON of work into looking at cap implications in every proposal, so you can call me out on them if they don't work.

NYR Proposal

Clearly there's a ton of smoke around NYR and Miller.  So here's a couple scenarios:

BOS Proposal

WPG Proposal

I think I also read about WPG being interested in Miller.  Personally, I don't really like them as a trading partner for Miller.

FLA Proposal

COL Proposal

MIN Proposal

TOR Proposal

I think B. Schneider will always be the ideal target for us. We haven't had an RH Dman like that since Kevin freakin' Bieksa.

Add a 1st to that and we're all feeling pretty good about trading a key player like JT.

However, I love the package with Fiala and Boldy.

I could see Boldy taking over Miller's role on the PP in 1-2 years -  I really wanted him in that draft (though I loves me some Podz).

Fiala is an age-appropriate, plug-and-play top 6 forward that could have some fun playing with our more skilled guys (Petey, Garland, Bo, Brock, etc.)

Two forwards though, when our most obvious team need is on the back end.

It sure is fun to have a desirable player, and to get to think about possible returns!

I prefer the Rangers proposals, I think bringing in a high end D prospect who's close to stepping into the NHL is a must for this team. Obviously there have to be other pieces, I think a 1st will be required in most cases, but we need young D. We've got a lot of questions surrounding our defense we'll need to address over the next couple years. 

I like your Florida proposal the most followed by either of the NYR proposals.

Florida deal gives us a 2C that can slot in immediately and be good for the next 10 years alongside EP, who will be our #1C. EP-Lundell-Horvat for the next 7-10 years wow. It also gets us a gritty veteran in Hornqvist. That trade gives us a chance to still make the playoffs. And we gain another 1st rounder. This deal would be dream come true type of deal more I think about it.

NYR proposals are great but we significantly decrease our chance of making the playoffs this season. But maybe it doesn't matter. I like the potential for Kakko and Lafreniere to become elite LWers and Schneider to become a physical top3D. Would be a pipe dream but if we can gain Schneider and Kakko/Lafreninere for Miller + Motte, that would be awesome. Might be even better trade than the Florida trade since we gain two roster players for the long term.

• Cheers 1

The best one I've seen is Miller to NY Rangers for Braden Schneider, Vitali Kravtsov and a 1st round pick.  Basically 3 1st round picks for Miller.  I'd do that deal for sure, as it's an overpayment.  I'd even retain salary to get that deal done as the players coming back are both on ELC contracts.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, khay said:

I like your Florida proposal the most followed by either of the NYR proposals.

Florida deal gives us a 2C that can slot in immediately and be good for the next 10 years alongside EP, who will be our #1C. EP-Lundell-Horvat for the next 7-10 years wow. It also gets us a gritty veteran in Hornqvist. That trade gives us a chance to still make the playoffs. And we gain another 1st rounder. This deal would be dream come true type of deal more I think about it.

NYR proposals are great but we significantly decrease our chance of making the playoffs this season. But maybe it doesn't matter. I like the potential for Kakko and Lafreniere to become elite LWers and Schneider to become a physical top3D. Would be a pipe dream but if we can gain Schneider and Kakko/Lafreninere for Miller + Motte, that would be awesome. Might be even better trade than the Florida trade since we gain two roster players for the long term.

I think NYR have the most prospects to deal..

Miller and Motte----- Van - Schneider 20, 6'2 RD -- Chytil, 21,6'3,C ,  210  -  Barron 23, 6'4- C ,  3rd rounder

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The best one I've seen is Miller to NY Rangers for Braden Schneider, Vitali Kravtsov and a 1st round pick.  Basically 3 1st round picks for Miller.  I'd do that deal for sure, as it's an overpayment.  I'd even retain salary to get that deal done as the players coming back are both on ELC contracts.

See I’m not that huge on that NYR’s deal. It’s a good deal don’t get me wrong and I do like the pieces. Kravtsov is a winger and a flight risk if things don’t go his way. Schneider is more of an all around dman think like Tanev future. Then a late 1rst round pick. Colorado Miller 50% retained for a package like Newhook, Barron and Ryan Murray (for salary balance) I feel like Newhook is a top 6 Center which is way more valuable than the wing and Barron a slightly less thought of prospect than Schneider but I feel projects to be as good.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

NYR Proposal

BOS Proposal

WPG Proposal

FLA Proposal

COL Proposal

MIN Proposal

TOR Proposal

I'm with Craig Button when he said on Donnie and Dahli when he said any GM wanting JT Miller better come with an offer that makes JR say yes because it must be assumed that JR would rather try re-signing him then trading him which makes, almost, any offer a no.

Of all the proposals, my two preferences are NY and Minny.

1. NY- I really like Braden Schneider. We need, more then anything else (in my opinion) a young player to pair up with QH. Braden Schneider would fit this parameter perfectly. He's, very much a, "meat and potatoes," player that plays a physical, solid defensive game with an ability to put up points, all be it not like Hughes. This would make him an affordable asset for a long time. I like the rest of the package but would also want a William Cuylle. 19 yrs old, 60th OA in 2020. A 6'4", 209 lb, LWer who plays a physical brand of hockey. He has an NHL ready shot and excels when powering to the net. He is, however, still very raw and there are concerns about whether or not his skill will ever develop to NHL quality but, he is a very intriguing player/project that I'd like to see in our system.

2. Minny- I can't see them giving up both, Fiala and Boldy. That being said, I would prefer Boldy. He's bigger and has shown, every bit, the skill and ability of Fiala. Also, rather then taking the 3rd rnd pick, I'd much prefer getting Ryan O'Rourke, another sizey physical, dman who will drop the gloves. We need this from our blueline. Yes, he is aanother lefty but, he does bring something different to the team.

As I said, my preference is to re-sign Miller. He's every bit as much a captain to this team as Horvat. He stays in great shape and avoids injury. I would be very comfortable signing him to a contract that takes him to his mid-thirties. Imo, we need to surround him with wingers that better compliment his abilities and would be willing to deal other, more contovercial, players to get it done.

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

NYR Proposal

Not sure why the Canucks would retain 50% on a top 15 scorer in the league who has decent size and bite and plays C. Not sure that has ever been done? Has it?

As for you stating you determined a value, not sure how you came up with that statement lol.

Not a single ranger fan I have read states they would give up schneider in a trade nevermind adding Laf or Kaako. I have no idea if this is in anyway realistic but not a single rangers fan thinks it is.

• Upvote 1

Here is a couple more.................

Winterpeg............................Miller 50% retained      for         Stanley LHD, 2022-1st and Chaz Lucius (C)

Colorado..............................Miller 50% retained      for         Jost(C), Baron (RHD), Stienburg (C) and a 2023 -1st

1 hour ago, Canuck Luck said:

Not sure why the Canucks would retain 50% on a top 15 scorer in the league who has decent size and bite and plays C. Not sure that has ever been done? Has it?

As for you stating you determined a value, not sure how you came up with that statement lol.

Not a single ranger fan I have read states they would give up schneider in a trade nevermind adding Laf or Kaako. I have no idea if this is in anyway realistic but not a single rangers fan thinks it is.

Yes, but that in itself has to be taken with a grain of salt. Rags fans might not want to move Schneider, plenty of Canucks fans don't want to move Miller. Who's more likely to be overvalued? Schneider, easy, because Miller's a proven NHL commodity.

Laf or Kaako aren't realistic imo, you almost never see top two picks moved out that young.

As for the why? That's easy. Because retaining ups the number if teams that can offer and fit him in, thus creating a scenario where someone's gonna have to bid higher. Retaining ups Miller's already high value. Retain on Miller and that's roughly 1.25 seasons of dead cap, not a long term commitment. And considering we'll already have dead cap from the Virtanen and Holtby buyouts, plus Halak's bonus if he's not traded, retaining a bit more cap isn't the end of the world.

Odds are next season is a stepping stone season anyway, we're not contending with close to 4M in dead cap thanks to Virtanen, Holtby, and Halak.

Edited by Coconuts

So if we can believe what Serevalli was saying on 650 today, it sounds like management has talked with Miller about the future and that he's alright with being moved, and as a part of that, consulting with teams interested in acquiring him about whether he's interested in them long-term and what an extension would look like, which would certainly affect his value.  That could mean he's not keen on re-signing, that his ask is too rich, or that management has decided to move on and get younger as Rutherford indicated when he was hired.   While I'd rather he stayed, it is what it is:  speculation about where he goes and what he returns is going to become an even bigger circus than it already is. 

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, khay said:

That trade gives us a chance to still make the playoffs.

As much admiration as I have for the run we've been on since "Bruce there it is"...that ship likely sailed in the first couple months. And with Garland/Horvat/Hala/Demko etc, etc in protocols, it's not going to get any easier to even stay in the conversation, let alone actually make it.

And if we do indeed bring back Chytil, while he's certainly no Miller, he's a legit 3rd liner with size, speed and good 2 way play with upside). Not like it's abandoning all hope.

And if it gives us a better shot at landing Jiricek this draft, it's not all bad ::D Unfortunately this year is likely going to be more about setting up the team for a couple years from now and beyond.

• Cheers 1