The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Rachel Doerrie in an analytics role

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Not surprised this got deleted. Very stupid move by her as it ultimately amounts to nothing but gossip, and if you have any ambitions to work in an industry getting the reputation as someone who is happy to traffic - publicly, no less - in gossip is not exactly a feather in one's cap.

if JR had any issues with this he wouldn't have hired her. 

Plus its just a podcast, not everything has to be a burn it all down moment. 

I don't mind her candidness, but mostly because she wasn't employed by a franchise at the time...  It's refreshing to hear an honest opinion, not dumbed down.  However, she does need to tone it down now.... Which I assume, she will.  She has the credentials, well spoken and obviously passionate about the game of hockey... The only problem I have... She's a Leafs fan!!!

• Upvote 1

Good luck Rachel! 

Can't say that I enjoyed listening to her podcast as Rachel and Mike sound like two 12 year olds saying OMG! and Holy Sh*t! every five seconds.  

Happy to see women getting their foot in the door though, and I'm sure that she's qualified enough for what will be an entry position in the analytics department. 

I'm still hoping that we are able to find a position for Jennifer Botterill, after reading about her experience I'm certain that she would help our organization. 

4 hours ago, AV. said:

Benning bros holding yet another L.  Life is great.

Lol, wut?

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Doerrie has worked as an analyst of player information and video with the Devils, and a video coach with the OHL’s Sudbury Wolves. Most recently, she worked as the director of advanced performance with York University in Toronto. She also had short stint as a video coach with Hockey Canada, a writer for The Athletic, and an analytics advisor at Nipissing University.

Impressive.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Was an analyst for the Devils briefly before taking up the Director of Analytics spot for York University for the past 3 years.

Not a bad resume. Not the greatest but definitely not the worst. Pretty good for a 25 year old.

This is her second go in the NHL as an analyst. Doesn't appear that she will run it but be a part of the team with Ryan Biech. Was Ryan Johnson gonna run analytics? or are we still gonna be looking for a AGM for that?

I really hope that we hire someone legitimate to run the analytics.  

Ryan Biech did great work as far as someone that watched a lot of hockey and clipped a lot of videos.  I used to love watching our prospects and other young players through him.  I was very happy when the Canucks hired him.  

However putting up our analytics department against other teams makes me feel like we're trying to compete with MIT in robotics by getting the honour students from BCIT.  

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

You'll be working for us soon :wub:

Promise to remember me when you make it?

AV we're going to make you a Doerrie jersey.  Clearly the number 1 fan here haha 

I couldn't listen to her podcasts, they were way too over the top but I did like the premise of it (more on the nerdy side of it). 

13 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

AV we're going to make you a Doerrie jersey.  Clearly the number 1 fan here haha 

I couldn't listen to her podcasts, they were way too over the top but I did like the premise of it (more on the nerdy side of it). 

Ehh, it's just fun calling out the people who were clearly upset by her criticisms of management a while back. 

• Haha 2

Predictable mixture of "YASS SLAY QUEEN!!!" and "SHE SHOULD JUST SHUT UP!!!" in this thread. 

And of course it all comes down to whether or not the poster in question is a supporter of detractor of the previous management group, just as everything on this board does.

Going so far as to say that the posters critical of the hiring are "afraid of a successful woman" is idiotic, especially considering that the reason for their criticism is clear as day. Her criticism of Benning. To pretend it's anything else is disingenuous. 

That being said, those hanging on to the previous management regime need to let it go. Benning was fired for a reason, and if Rutherford didn't think there was any validity to some of Rachel's criticisms, I doubt she gets hired. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

People remember she is still in her mid 20s and we all said our fair share of stupid sh*t and done mind boggling things at that age.

Yup... And now she'll be in the background making her case.  She's obviously well spoken and very bright so she'll probably be great at her job... Just keep her away from a mike for a few more years while she matures more lol!!!  

Welcome to the nucks Rachel!:towel:

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I really hope that we hire someone legitimate to run the analytics.  

Ryan Biech did great work as far as someone that watched a lot of hockey and clipped a lot of videos.  I used to love watching our prospects and other young players through him.  I was very happy when the Canucks hired him.  

However putting up our analytics department against other teams makes me feel like we're trying to compete with MIT in robotics by getting the honour students from BCIT.  

Just because they aren't from the high end school. Doesn't make them less good at their jobs. 

• Cheers 1