The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Plans for Roster going forward (Discussion)

Hey ya'll. 

Have a few ideas regarding our beloved team. I think we have a decent team, with some minor tweaks could be good. But this is a proposal based on if we decide to retool, which in my opinion might be the best option for long term success. 

Trade deadline - 

NYR: Miller & Schenn 

VAN: Schneider, Chytil , 2022 1st + 2023 3rd 

I think this is the type of package we could expect. Love Miller, think he's a fantastic player, but does he fit our timeline. He is going to get PAID after next season and I'm under the impression he will walk. We get an actual 3rd line two way centermen, a young gritty two way dman who most likely is going to be a top 4 and add to our somewhat suspect prospect pool. 

Minny/Calgary/ ? - Motte 

Van - either 2nd and a 3rd or 2nd and a 4th. 

Love Motte. I would personally try resigning him for 2 million per, but if we can't get it done before the deadline, this is something we could expect. 

Edm - Halak 

Van - anything to get us out of paying that bonus next year. Maybe a 4th or 5th + Russel to make salaries work. 

Now going in to the offseason we would have 

2 1sts, ours most likely in top 8-12. 2nd, either a couple 3rds or a couple 4ths. Major replenishment for our system. 

Offseason: 

Major questions to be asked about paying Brock 7 to 7.5, personally I don't think Brock is a top line player, he's a very good 2nd line player, but I think we could maybe use Brock to upgrade this position. 

Columbus - Brock Boeser, Jett Woo & rangers 2nd. 

Vancouver - Patrik Laine 

I feel much more comfortable paying Laine 7.5-8 per than Brock. I think Laine can get back to 40 goals, he has an absolute bomb of a shot and has developed a lot more complete game. Don't think he wants to resign in Columbus and Brock would be able to be locked up long term. This gives us an absolute deadly powerplay. 

Sign 4th line center - my target is Noel Acciari, depending on the level of his injury. He has scored 20 goals before, he's gritty, good PKer and most likely will come on a prove it contract. 

Sign Nino Niederreiter or Trade for Jordan Greenway. This gives us more of a power forward for the 3rd line.

Its clear Hamonic doesn't want to be here, so a buyout might be in order. 

Podz - Pete - Garland 

Hoglander - Bo - Laine 

Pearson - Chytil - Nino/Greenway

Dickinson - Acciari - Lockwood 

Hughes - Schneider 

OEL - Myers 

Rathbone - Poolman

Demko

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I think Motte probably ends up staying, but I could see the Rangers and Oilers trades happening with slight modifications. 

As for trading with Columbus, that's definitely a bit of a swing but who knows? I'd rather not move Woo because we're so thin on D prospects ready to make the jump sooner than later, but Laine's put up better numbers than Boeser in the past, he's younger, and he'd sure look good on either Bo or Pettersson's wing. Guess it depends on which Laine management thinks they'd get. Would they get 50 point Laine or could they squeeze 60-70 points out of him? They'd have to be pretty convinced he's an upgrade. It also depends on what he'd want in an extension, cap's going to be tight. 

But I agree, I don't think he wants to stay in Columbus, but what do I know? 

I'd like to try and snag Nick Paul out of Ottawa, I think we miss having a center of that sort. 

Edited by Coconuts

I say if trade makes team better we have to do it..

Miller - Motte to NYR

Schneider 20, 6'2 RD #2 OR #3 Dman in 2 yrs... Chytil 22, 6'3-C. Barron 23, 6'4 C  and 2nd rounder..

We don't have much cap space and Boeser to sign summer 2022, Miller and Horvat Summer 2023...

Will have to trade top 5 player at some point?

Miller will demand 7 X 7.7 million

Motte 3 X 2.5 million? He is worth the same as Dickinson...

• Cheers 1

Down for everything besides the Laine trade (don't need to give so much when he's been inconsistent, between 0.5 and 0.9 points/ game; also needs a new contract which will probably be too much, when Boeser would be more affordable most likely), also we should try to move Hamonic for even a pick if there's a taker instead of just buying him out.  Lastly, Nino/ Greenway probably won't come cheap (Nino's with a contender and his current cap hit is above $5 million as a bottom-6 winger, so it's probably unrealistic to try and pry him out as we have neither the money or open championship window).

We don't have to pay Brock $7.5m. I'd imagine he'll likely sign an extension at +/- $6.5x 6. I really wish people would actually understand how QO's work :picard:

Trade Miller for Chytil, Schneider and the 1st +/-.

Sign one of Paul/Tierney/Sturm, maybe even Bjugstad for the 4th.

See if we can move Hamonic and replace with Lyubishkin this summer.

Would love us to move Halak pre-bonus as well.

• Cheers 4

41 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't mind the Miller/Schenn trade to NYR

D (future)

Hughes - Schneider 

Rathbone - Woo

Cs

Horvat

Pettersson

Chytil

and the extra 1st and 3rd are nice, refill that prospect pool a bit

Don't want Laine

I think Chytil likely projects as a W'er who can occasionally play C with injuries etc.

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We don't have to pay Brock $7.5m. I'd imagine he'll likely sign an extension at +/- $6.5x 6. I really wish people would actually understand how QO's work :picard:

I think your prediction on Boeser's extension is bang on.

I'm still standing by my prediction that Boeser gets traded to round out the roster. Not that I want to see him go, but the math in my head is adding up to him being the odd man out on moving someone to round out the roster. But, I could just as easily be full of S3!% on my prediction :)

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think your prediction on Boeser's extension is bang on.

I'm still standing by my prediction that Boeser gets traded to round out the roster. Not that I want to see him go, but the math in my head is adding up to him being the odd man out on moving someone to round out the roster. But, I could just as easily be full of S3!% on my prediction :)

Yeah...I mean maybe it's $6.8 or something and +/- years on the term etc but I don't think he's going to garner some terrifying $7.5mx 8 deal. At worst we have to pay him $7.5m x 1 year...and even then, the team probably takes him to arbitration and we're probably in that $6.8 +/- territory anyway :bored: It's such a nothing burger...yet every day I read panicky posts about it....:rolleyes:

As to moving him, I'm not opposed. Pretty much 50/50. Miller's the main play there IMO. If I was GM, I'd sure be using it as leverage to get a reasonable extension done prior to the TDL though.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Nice thoughts, 

Here's my take;

Miller trade works for me

Bringing Laine is not a direction I would take.

Defense is still a question, Schneider is young and may not be ready for big minutes yet so more help is needed on the back end.

If Lammikko can keep up his  current play he is worth keeping around a the 4th C.

I wonder how movable Dickinson would be.... worth poking around to see if anyone bites and then sign Motte at <2mill/year which is less than Dicky for a bottom 6 guy.

I think a couple moves are still needed, one to improve the defense, the other to addrss a bit more grit up front.....

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I understand how QO's work lol you really think he's going to take 6.5 per?