The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Plans for Roster going forward (Discussion)

Maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong…

Let’s just say Boeser accepts the QO as some suggests $7.M / 1yr.

The Canucks can still negotiate a longer term deal after that.  And if by TDL there is no extension, then Canucks trade him.  50% retained to maximize the return.

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I don’t take 6.5M per year, even if it is for 6 years. I think he’ll probably be okay with 7M for 6 years. 

I said $6.5+/-. I think he'll be in that $6.5-$7 range. Point is, all of those fretting over his QO etc are ridiculous. And there's almost zero chance he takes 1 year at +/-$500k less, with higher escrow, risk of arbitration etc, etc when he can have security and guaranteed, near $40m.

It's silly.

Edited by aGENT

39 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

If canucks record under BB from when he took over in Dec until trade deadline is that of a top 5 team in the league or even top 2 in the West, would people still want “asset management” and trade Miller or would you want to run it back next year and see how our guys do with a full season under BB?
my thoughts are to see what this team is capable of before blowing it up and starting a “retool”

teams that are top 5 usually buy at the deadline not sell. I personally would love to see where we are at at the trade deadline and then decide wherher to sell or stay put.

who knows, if we miraculously have the Pacific 2 Spot and guys like Petey and Boeser have snapped out of their slump and are high scorers again, would we even entertain the possibility of buying at the deadline?
So far under BB, I thought we were flat out only outplayed once (against Carolina). Once our guys are back and if we are beating teams like Colorado and Vegas, would we consider giving this team a chance to see what they can do?

ofcourse, if they flounder down the stretch, the decision to sell becomes much easier

I was originally in the playoffs or trade Miller, if not, camp.

I won't be upset if that's what happens... But personally, if Miller isn't in our long term plans, I vote to maximize his return regardless.

We could trade him tomorrow and still have near the same shot at making the playoffs anyway, with the right return.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I was originally in the playoffs or trade Miller, if not, camp.

I won't be upset if that's what happens... But personally, if Miller isn't in our long term plans, I vote to maximize his return regardless.

We could trade him tomorrow and still have near the same shot at making the playoffs anyway, with the right return.

I dunno where you can trade your top scorer and not miss a beat.

On 1/20/2022 at 6:34 PM, KKnight said:

Major questions to be asked about paying Brock 7 to 7.5, personally I don't think Brock is a top line player, he's a very good 2nd line player, but I think we could maybe use Brock to upgrade this position. 

This where you completely lose me on this discussion. Brock is ABSOLUTELY a 1st line NHL player, in fact, since he joined the league and played his 1st full season in 2017-18 Brock is currently 12th in the NHL for points among all RWs and 7th in goals. Brock also has more points than Laine and only 16 fewer goals over the last 4.5 seasons.

I really can't see why you think Laine is worth it but Boeser isn't, they are nearly identical in terms of what they bring to a team in points and goals and I would much rather have Brock's skill combined with his heart and commitment than Laine's skill combined with his 'me first', laissez-faire attitude.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

That's not what I wrote.

Yeah sorry that was a little rude. 

What i meant was, I would think losing Miller would decrease our chance of playoffs as we would most likely be getting younger with more upside instead of Miller who is our top point producer. If that wasn't the case, i dont see why a team would trade a younger cheaper player for an older similar calibre player. 

16 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah sorry that was a little rude. 

What i meant was, I would think losing Miller would decrease our chance of playoffs as we would most likely be getting younger with more upside instead of Miller who is our top point producer. If that wasn't the case, i dont see why a team would trade a younger cheaper player for an older similar calibre player. 

Well we aren't (likely) moving Miller tomorrow, so we'll already have a pretty good idea of what are playoff chances are WITH MIller (they're still not very good, for this season FYI), closer to the TDL. 

And yes, minus Miller we will likely be a worse team, regardless of who we get back. Then again, maybe the change of scenery, some new chemistry etc pays immediate dividends? Who knows? Maybe we actually play better or roughly the same with say Chytil and Schneider added to our roster? It's not some foregone conclusion that moving Miller = doom. Quite the opposite actually.

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well we aren't (likely) moving Miller tomorrow, so we'll already have a pretty good idea of what are playoff chances are WITH MIller (they're still not very good, for this season FYI), closer to the TDL. 

And yes, minus Miller we will likely be a worse team, regardless of who we get back. Then again, maybe the change of scenery, some new chemistry etc pays immediate dividends? Who knows? Maybe we actually play better or roughly the same with say Chytil and Schneider added to our roster? It's not some foregone conclusion that moving Miller = doom. Quite the opposite actually.

Perhaps the absence of Miller causes Petey to take that step back to being dominant?

could also help out Bo a bit.

62jwh9.jpg.56d0b3db104c789f5ee6f52edde0d9b3.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Lets say that Bo and Miller are not interested in resigning at the end of their deals. If that is the case then we will see more players moved then some might think. SO, lets play.

Bo Horvat to Colorado for 1) Newhook    2)  Yost.    3)   3rd round pick.

Miller to New York for    1)   Schneider  2)  Othmann   3) Lafrienere.

Boeser and Motte to Min for   1)  Boldy   2) Lambos  3) 1st round pick.

Pearson for a pick or a prospect. 

Dickinson and Poolman for picks.   

There is a big opportunity to refit this team real quickly. They could add some youth that are ready to play now and a bunch of picks. I don'tthink I am far off on what Miller ,Horvat and Boeser are worth.

Edited by appleboy

On 1/24/2022 at 8:16 AM, CanucksJay said:

I dunno where you can trade your top scorer and not miss a beat.

We will miss a beat for sure. Miller is an impact player that you cant just replace. If we can trade Miller for a kings ransom then we should, to fill other holes in the lineup but Canucks would then need to look for a top line C in the future as I dont see Petersson being a center but more of a winger. 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

What's going on with Sutter?  Is he retiring or hoping to come back next year? His contract expires after this season.  Really glad that stupid Luongo penalty is over with after this season too.  

Sutter, Hamonic all need to be forgotten as they will not be part of the team anymore. Sutter might as well retire as Covid has done long term damage to his lungs probably. Hamonic should also retire for being so injury prone. Thats 4+ million plus the Luongo penalty being removed which frees 7 to 8 million in cap space.