The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Kyle Turris

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

With the trade rumors surrounding Miller, there would be an opening in the middle. Miller and Bo are out with covid, Dickinson isn't a natural center, and Lammikko is a fourth line center at best. Highmore and Motte have never played center at the NHL level so you mentioning them makes no sense. It gives you options and flexibility moving forward.

Its about looking at holes, projecting at potential needs, and looking at what you can use to plug in holes. With so many bodies out, Turris could be a candidate to fill some temporary needs. He isn't a perfect fit for sure, but you won't know unless you try it out. If it doesn't work there isn't a lot of risk other than waiving him again and he runs out his deal in the summer.

By your logic because a player doesn't work out in several teams means they are irredeemable. There is a reason why Chiasson, Hunt, Hamonic, Pearson have bounced around but still find ways to fill roles that potentially fill certain needs of a team. This team lacks of right hand center, has credible repetoire to provide some secondary offense, and has played in the past on the special teams. Perhaps you haven't really paid attention either that PP2 unit lacks a center, that Pearson has had to be used, and PP1 has had to extend their powerplay to avoid using PP2 for faceoffs. 

I'm not sure I'd use Chiasson as a positive example.  Turris really hasn't done much to suggest he can contribute.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm inclined to agree, but it depends on what he wants. Is he fine chilling in Chicago? It's possible. Does he plan on playing past this season? If not, would one last shot at the playoffs with another team appeal to him? If so, how many teams would be willing to bring him in at a large cap hit? Even with retainment he'd eat up a good amount of space. 

Depends on what he wants. 

really hard to say. The McDavid effect isn't what it once was tho imo. Its also a really bad defensive group, and he'd likely see a lot of pucks and be looked at as the saviour. Lots of pressure for no extra dough. If he had no rings, yeah maybe but I think there are other teams that would like to have him as well that he can go to. 

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

I must be bored because I just HockeyDB'd the Turris draft year. I looked up the Canucks picks that year. Whoaa, depressing, brutal. 2007, don't look unless you have a strong stomach, lol.

The problem is we drafted a Messier that year...

28 minutes ago, rekker said:

I must be bored because I just HockeyDB'd the Turris draft year. I looked up the Canucks picks that year. Whoaa, depressing, brutal. 2007, don't look unless you have a strong stomach, lol.

Patrick White ----> Christian Ehrhoff 

28 goals, 94 points, +55 in 159 games over 2 seasons.

That's a hell of a rental for the 25th pick in a seriously weak draft. 

• Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, JM_ said:

really hard to say. The McDavid effect isn't what it once was tho imo. Its also a really bad defensive group, and he'd likely see a lot of pucks and be looked at as the saviour. Lots of pressure for no extra dough. If he had no rings, yeah maybe but I think there are other teams that would like to have him as well that he can go to. 

Yeah, you're probs right

They need to address their defence something fierce, that Keith move really hurts em right now 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, you're probs right

They need to address their defence something fierce, that Keith move really hurts em right now 

Just now, coryberg said:

And even more so next year... another year older, slower and rundown @5.5mil with a NMC 

You guys made me necro bump the trade thread for Keith hahahaha

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

I'd actually move Halak and Motte to the Oilers if they gave up their 1st round pick.

Doing that, then moving Miller for a package that includes another 1st round pick would do wonders for our prospect cupboard. 

We'd have three 1st round picks this year.

wouldn't it be funny if the Canucks traded for Edmonton's 1st

then won the lottery with that pick

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, you're probs right

How is that move hurting Edmonton?

Keith is 8 years older than OEL with nearly identical numbers

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Patrick White ----> Christian Ehrhoff 

28 goals, 94 points, +55 in 159 games over 2 seasons.

That's a hell of a rental for the 25th pick in a seriously weak draft. 

Nonetheless, not one player the Canucks drafted that year came close to being and NHLer. Pathetic, I believe there have been other years that closely resemble that result in the 2000's. Thank goodness the drafting has improved. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Nonetheless, not one player the Canucks drafted that year came close to being and NHLer. Pathetic, I believe there have been other years that closely resemble that result in the 2000's. Thank goodness the drafting has improved. 

Check out the first 3 teams that drafted that year.

Chicago has Kane at #1 and that was it

Philly had JVR at #2 and then nothing (well they did draft maroon in round 6 but he never played a game for them and they got nothing for him)

Phoenix had turris at #3 and then nothing (even though they had 2 firsts and 2 seconds)

Horrible drafts are called Horrible drafts for a reason.

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Check out the first 3 teams that drafted that year.

Chicago has Kane at #1 and that was it

Philly had JVR at #2 and then nothing (well they did draft maroon in round 6 but he never played a game for them and they got nothing for him)

Phoenix had turris at #3 and then nothing (even though they had 2 firsts and 2 seconds)

Horrible drafts are called Horrible drafts for a reason.

What's the excuse for the other years?  Sure there's been some successes but this team has historically drafted and developed poorly. Especially dmen. Excuses are for losers, good teams don't have excuses, they have results. It's been better lately.  Sounds to me like your defending previous Canucks management and their drafting. If your fine with it good for you. I'm not. 

39 minutes ago, rekker said:

What's the excuse for the other years?  Sure there's been some successes but this team has historically drafted and developed poorly. Especially dmen. Excuses are for losers, good teams don't have excuses, they have results. It's been better lately.  Sounds to me like your defending previous Canucks management and their drafting. If your fine with it good for you. I'm not. 

There was never any excuse for any other year. I'm not defending every single draft year

I'm not ok with crappy drafting but to choose one of the worst drafts in nhl history and cry because we didn't do well would be petty at best. 

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

There was never any excuse for any other year. I'm not defending every single draft year

I'm not ok with crappy drafting but to choose one of the worst drafts in nhl history and cry because we didn't do well would be petty at best. 

Cheers, but I wasn't crying. More a tongue and cheek comment on the draft year and drafting in general. It got a laff, guess it was lost on you. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Cheers, but I wasn't crying. More a tongue and cheek comment on the draft year and drafting in general. It got a laff, guess it was lost on you. 

Sorry I missed your jestfull cues. I shouldn't have taken comments of "pathetic, depressing, brutal" as being negative at all. My bad.

10 hours ago, goalie13 said:

If you were Halak, would you waive your NMC to go to that dumpster fire? 

I absolutely would waive to go there. I have a chance to be a number 1 goalie and play a lot of games and if I do well I earn myself probably more term and more dollars per year on my next deal. Or I can stay with the Canucks and play maybe 5 more games and sign another 1 year low dollar deal.