The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Kyle Turris

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

He is being waived by Edmonton.  They don't exactly have a surplus of players who can contribute in their bottom 6.

So why would Edmonton waive him then? Is he that bad that they couldn’t use him in their line up? 

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Too bad the "Lol" at the end of it all didn't help.

Silly me. So this whole time you didn't think that the 2007 draft was neither pathetic, depressing and especially not brutal. Boy do I have egg on my face! 

Once again I apologize.

31 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

So why would Edmonton waive him then? Is he that bad that they couldn’t use him in their line up? 

Yup, he's not a 3rd line checking centre.  Even though teams want him to be at this stage of his career.  He can't put up numbers so he doesn't belong as a top 2 centre anymore.  He's basically fallen off a cliff.  How he even got more that league minimum I have no idea what Holland was thinking lmao

Just now, amplified0ne said:

Yup, he's not a 3rd line checking centre.  Even though teams want him to be at this stage of his career.  He can't put up numbers so he doesn't belong as a top 2 centre anymore.  He's basically fallen off a cliff.  How he even got more that league minimum I have no idea what Holland was thinking lmao

The extra salary isn't for playing hockey, it's compensation for living in that dump.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, coryberg said:

And even more so next year... another year older, slower and rundown @5.5mil with a NMC 

Remember when "they" used to say he could play until 50 the way he skates!!

3 hours ago, BPA said:

He’s played 21 game so far.  4pts and a -5.  

Took 47 face offs and won 27 of them. A big whopping 57%. :shock:

If he could only transition his game to be a bottom 6C…

Reminds me of a Sam Gagner, cagey veteran still sticking around partly off name recognition.

9 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I absolutely would waive to go there. I have a chance to be a number 1 goalie and play a lot of games and if I do well I earn myself probably more term and more dollars per year on my next deal. Or I can stay with the Canucks and play maybe 5 more games and sign another 1 year low dollar deal.

When Halak signed here he knew it was to back up Demko and he wanted the NMC to make sure he wouldn't have to move.  Why do you think he would want that to change half way through his one year deal?

20 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

i remember when Gretz was so pumped Turris got to #3 overall. Thought he was so good that he might be the top player picked.

I have disliked Turris from the moment The Grating One started touting him and have been pleased that he did not turn out anywhere near what The Whiner said he was going to be.

We do not need him; his time has expired; and he wasn't that good to begin with.  Huge pass, imo.

39 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I have disliked Turris from the moment The Grating One started touting him and have been pleased that he did not turn out anywhere near what The Whiner said he was going to be.

We do not need him; his time has expired; and he wasn't that good to begin with.  Huge pass, imo.

Not that I disagree with you on Turris's value but I remember Gretzky doing different. The Yotes were playing in Van and Gretzky sat Turris when Turris had got dozens of tickets for family and friends to watch his first game in his home town. They were on the outs after that and eventually they traded him. He was a key part of the Sens Cup run years ago but eventually dealt to Nashville over contract. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, goalie13 said:

When Halak signed here he knew it was to back up Demko and he wanted the NMC to make sure he wouldn't have to move.  Why do you think he would want that to change half way through his one year deal?

Nobody was going to offer him anything more than a cheap one year deal to be a backup. Goalies have been so poor in Edmonton so he has an opportunity to be the number 1. If he does and plays well then he’ll make himself more money to finish out his career. Doesn’t seem that far fetched. Sure he asked for a NMC to control his fate but if it’s a chance to play more hockey then he will here and potentially raise his stock for the next offseason I can’t see why he’d turn that down. Financially would be a dumb decision to say no to a trade that makes you the best goalie on the team. He could play 5 more games for Vancouver or 35 with Edmonton. If he maintains his numbers with Vancouver he’ll earn himself another 1 year deal. Or if he maintains his numbers with Edmonton maybe he earns himself a  2-3 year deal with Edmonton for an extra 1 mill a year.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Nobody was going to offer him anything more than a cheap one year deal to be a backup. Goalies have been so poor in Edmonton so he has an opportunity to be the number 1. If he does and plays well then he’ll make himself more money to finish out his career. Doesn’t seem that far fetched. Sure he asked for a NMC to control his fate but if it’s a chance to play more hockey then he will here and potentially raise his stock for the next offseason I can’t see why he’d turn that down. Financially would be a dumb decision to say no to a trade that makes you the best goalie on the team. He could play 5 more games for Vancouver or 35 with Edmonton. If he maintains his numbers with Vancouver he’ll earn himself another 1 year deal. Or if he maintains his numbers with Edmonton maybe he earns himself a  2-3 year deal with Edmonton for an extra 1 mill a year.

Or he goes to Edmonton and gets shelled because their defense is deplorable and he is never seen on NHL ice again.  It's a risk.

He's 36.  I would be surprised if anyone offered him a 2 or 3 year deal.