The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Manager discussion.

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

56 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, Messier did a great job of selling his brand of leadership and as Canucks fans, we saw how that experiment failed miserably.   

I get your point and Messier does have the same credentials, as both Sakic & Yzerman does.  Preferably, I would like to had seen, someone that had been mentored by one of those guys or Tsulky, from Car but to get any of those guys, they have to first be available - not sure, if they were but I never heard there names, as serious candidates.   

I am not really, impress with Allvin, given Pitsburgh track record in the draft, when he was there; and I would had preferred, Gorton overall cause of the way he rebuilt the Rangers, after Sather stepped down.

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/jeff-gorton-is-building-a-great-legacy-with-the-new-york-rangers/

I really wanted us to hire Gillant, I’m guessing he would have chose NY regardless. Gorton was an excellent choice for MTL and my first choice here as well. Happy with Rutherford and out of the names I’m hearing I like Futa. 

2 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

I really wanted us to hire Gillant, I’m guessing he would have chose NY regardless. Gorton was an excellent choice for MTL and my first choice here as well. Happy with Rutherford and out of the names I’m hearing I like Futa. 

Did he mentor under Blake and Lombardi ?

1 hour ago, Shirotashi said:

Rutherford is not relevant as an NHL'r. I want someone in the front office that can talk to the likes of 

Yzerman and Sakic. Those guys dont want to talk to a fuddy duddy they need someone like Linden 

they can relate to. The NHL seems to be trending the way of hiring names that still have celebrity 

power. Messier for GM of the Oilers could happen IMHO.

Sakic and Yzerman probably not common thing happening where ex-players transition to executives. Those just happen to be two of the names. Who are the others? Messier as GM in Edmonton would be terrible. And I don’t even think Messier wants to go to Canada . He’s happy to be in NY, but the Rangers aren’t going to hire him as GM. The guy, quite frankly, is a mess. 

Linden I think is happy where he’s at in his life. Away from media spot light, and doing things that interest him. Leave him be. 

50 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

I too wanted Gallant. I think the Canucks waited too long. Gallant was available for a while. But I’m not as convinced that he would have gone to New York regardless. I think there could have been a chance he could have landed here with the talent that the team had. 

I also wanted Gorton here too. He would have been a longer term hire than Rutherford who is only signed for the next three years. That’s not long term planning. Feels more of a transitionary hire than a long term one. 

• Cheers 1

I get the stigma and the clear and present issues with the name

But I'd love to see Rutherford bring in Tallon in some sort of executive fashion.  Not GM over say but someone with a say in the direction of the team.

All he does is build winners.

Edited by Warhippy

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Sakic and Yzerman probably not common thing happening where ex-players transition to executives. Those just happen to be two of the names. Who are the others? Messier as GM in Edmonton would be terrible. And I don’t even think Messier wants to go to Canada . He’s happy to be in NY, but the Rangers aren’t going to hire him as GM. The guy, quite frankly, is a mess. 

Linden I think is happy where he’s at in his life. Away from media spot light, and doing things that interest him. Leave him be. 

Wut? Bro half of our management and coaching staff are former players?? Shanahan? Lui???? Like huh?

15 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Wut? Bro half of our management and coaching staff are former players?? Shanahan? Lui???? Like huh?

Ryan Johnson. 

Shanahan? He's never played for the Canucks. 

Loui I understand. He's with Florida. 

30 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I get the stigma and the clear and present issues with the name

But I'd love to see Rutherford bring in Tallon in some sort of executive fashion.  Not GM over say but someone with a say in the direction of the team.

All he does is build winners.

Dale Talon? 

Maybe he replaces Rutherford when JR's done. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Ryan Johnson. 

Shanahan? He's never played for the Canucks. 

Loui I understand. He's with Florida. 

I was referring to the point you made earlier when you said that it was not common for ex-players to transition

to management/coaching jobs. I totally disagree. Ken Holland, Scotty Bowman... the list is long bud your just wrong.

10 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

I was referring to the point you made earlier when you said that it was not common for ex-players to transition

to management/coaching jobs. I totally disagree. Ken Holland, Scotty Bowman... the list is long bud your just wrong.

Ah. I thought you were referring to the Canucks only

Yeah, I’d agree with you throughout the league, there’s a lot of former players that have transitioned to becoming executives. 

Your right. Kudos to you. 

Joe Biden Congrats GIF by GIPHY News

15 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Yes he has been added to the list of confirmed. 

It seems he was one of the Candidates, when the Canucks were looking for a Gillis replacement, as well:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/vancouver-canucks-ask-permission-to-speak-to-michael-futa-is-he-a-fit-for-vacant-gm-position/

Also, he recently, joined the [enviable] front office, of the Hurricanes.  I would prefer, him over Allvin based on LA's success and there [smooth] transition from there old core to having one of the leageus best prospect pool, in a short period.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

It seems he was one of the Candidates, when the Canucks were looking for a Gillis replacement:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/vancouver-canucks-ask-permission-to-speak-to-michael-futa-is-he-a-fit-for-vacant-gm-position/

Also, he recently, joined the enviable front office, of the Hurricanes.  I would prefer, him over Allvin based on LA's success and there [smooth] transition from there old core to having one of the leageus best prospect pool, in a short period.  

his stint in the media made me think he's a buffoon. 

pass on futa.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:30 PM, KyGuy123 said:

With news pouring in, it looks like a new GM could be hired as early as this weekend. As reported Allvin, Mellanby, Burke, Futa and one other candidate are in the running. Let’s keep all GM/AGM news and articles in one thread. 

How about Jim Benning, heard he's pretty good but can't do it all himself, he needs a mentor like JR and now has no worries about the coach being the right guy. Has my vote! ;) As long as JR had to approve his every move.. I'd be down for that. 

p.s. flame away lmao! :P