The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Manager discussion.

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Who is this Allvin ?

Friend of Jimmy’s.

This pick doesn’t really excite me. Yes he’s got two cups but based on the roles he’s had I don’t really see how he contributed to them.

Darche looked like someone who JR could really mentor into a great GM. Allvin seems like just a safe pick that he knows.

8 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Who is this Allvin ?

Looks like the Pens agm. So he's a JR underling. JR hired a pencil pusher 

A pencil pusher with a poor record at scouting no less.

Really wish they would have taken more of a chance on a GM like Darche or MacFarland.

• Vintage 1

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not thrilled, and I've got a friend who is a die hard Pens fan who did not have high opinions of Allvin and warned me about this happening the moment Rutherford was hired. 

Still, he has a blank slate so my opinion will remain neutral until he proves me otherwise.

Edited by McBackup
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

This reeks of nepotism.  Not a fan considering this is how Weisbrod and Baumgartner got their jobs

ooh.. dunno that I'd go there. 

JR's first 3 hires have been solid and Allvin is considered GM ready by others around the league. Weisbrod otoh was a known dud and Benning picked him anyway. I really don't think this is that. 

• Like 1

So far I'm not a fan of JR.

Holding women's only interviews. 

Hiring his former underling. Who has a brutal scouting record. for GM. 

Telling the media it's not the players decision on whether they play. 

I'm sick of him already.

Edited by hammertime
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Darche looked like someone who JR could really mentor into a great GM. Allvin seems like just a safe pick that he knows.

thats why you do the interviews, must not have been a fit for any number of reasons. The one thing that worried about him is only 2 years in any kind of NHL office role, thats not much. 

30 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Would had preferred, Darche; and it seems, JR is going with a known quantity, rather than someone he is not familiar with.   Allvin, is my least favorite of the candidates due to Pittsburgh, poor record in drafting & development, while he was there.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Haha 1

Was hoping for MacFarland, but it looks like a strong front office with diverse opinions and depth of experience. 

Will reserve judgement until we get a body of work to review.

Him being the first Swedish GM, i wonder if Daniel and Henrik as special advisors had some input into this too. Or if that played into the consideration for this.

Edited by DSVII

21 minutes ago, McBackup said:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not thrilled, and I've got a friend who is a die hard Pens fan who did not have high opinions of Allvin and warned me about this happening the moment Rutherford was hired. 

Still, he has a blank slate so my opinion will remain neutral until he proves me otherwise.

what are his reasons for not liking Allvin?  If it's drafting, maybe Allvin isn't overseeing the draft (unlike Benning)?

17 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Booo.

I'm bringing the pitch fork day one.:P

14 minutes ago, hammertime said:

So far I'm not a fan of JR.

It amazes me that you two are already not happy.  

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic but will reserve judgment until this new team starts making some prospect/player moves and organizational system adjustments.  You two are a little to trigger happy!... Step away from the cliff lol!!!

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Vintage 1