The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] A new home for the face of the NHL

ABNuck

So, what is wrong with the Edmonton Oilers? Oh, let me count the ways...

In my opinion, the single biggest problem with the Edmonton Oilers is their mismanagement of numerous #1 overall picks (well documented, no need to go into it here). But the single largest mismanagement has been the trade value of the face of the NHL, Connor McDavid.

The NHL has 5 current "high value market" teams that represent the NHL market on a global scale: Toronto, New York, Boston, Los Angeles & now Las Vegas...and I believe that McDavid should be playing for one of them. Forget LA and LV...I don't want McDavid in our Conference. Toronto has the pieces to make a trade but would gain very little in doing so (ie/ McDavid is less valuable to them than the other 2). So that leaves NYR and BOS. I feel like NYR is headed in the right direction, and any pieces they send back would leave them in Cap hell (where the Oilers are now), so by default, we have the Bruins. Here's the proposal:

TO BOS

#97 and his 14.25m cap hit

TO COILERS

Swayman (their new starting goaltender project)

Carlo (new top pair Nurse / Carlo)

DeBrusk (hey, we figured he was headed there all along anyways)

Coyle (gotta make space for their new Centre who will replace Bergeron as captain and face of the franchise)

2022 1st

Heck of a haul for Edmonton, heck of a giveaway for Boston.

Edmonton slides Draisaital to 1C, Coyle & RNH slot into 2C & 3C

In one move the Oilers fix multiple issues (Starting G, weak Defence, lack of scoring depth and 3C issues)

Bruins get the new Captain and face of the franchise for the next 1/2 decade + and they retain a formidable top 6 (McDavid, Hall, Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak and room for one of their up and comers like Senyshyn to take a top 6 spot).

Anyways, seems like a win-win.

Not many teams in the NHL would have what it takes to pry McDavid free (cap space and players / picks / prospects) but this should get the deal done.

OK...other than the obvious argument that Holland would be run out of town if he ever traded McDavid...flame away...

• Haha 2

I've been thinking about this lately too.  Kind of like the Lindros deal, but a few years post-draft.  Lindros helped the Avalanche win the Stanley Cup by being traded away.

Although they don't have the cap space (who does?), I thought McDavid would be a good fit with the Rangers.

OP, that seems a little underwhelming -- Swayman and Carlo help for sure but DeBrusk and Coyle are meh given their cap hits.

The Islanders are technically NY too, and they're only a season away from a Final Four run so the core is there.  If he's open to it, I could see

McDavid for Sorokin (#1 G), one of Pelech/ Pulock/ Dobson (top D), Barzal (#1 C) plus maybe a forward prospect or decent pick.
Three top level roster regulars plus a couple futures for the best of our generation is probably an equitable deal IMO (can add pieces to either side).

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I've been thinking about this lately too.  Kind of like the Lindros deal, but a few years post-draft.  Lindros helped the Avalanche win the Stanley Cup by being traded away.

Although they don't have the cap space (who does?), I thought McDavid would be a good fit with the Rangers.

I thought about NYR as well since they have an expendable starting G in Georgiev. Problem with NYR is the future cap situation...their best pieces to trade out are on ELD's which would leave then way over cap now OR if they traded away pieces with salary then they're in cap hell when they go to re-sign Kakko and LaFrenchie. At least Boston will fit capwise and then they get to dump Bergeron's salary when he retires so they can sign the young ones...better fit for future cap situation.

1 hour ago, ABNuck said:

In my opinion, the single biggest problem with the Edmonton Oilers is their mismanagement of numerous #1 overall picks (well documented, no need to go into it here). But the single largest mismanagement has been the trade value of the face of the NHL, Connor McDavid.

The NHL has 5 current "high value market" teams that represent the NHL market on a global scale: Toronto, New York, Boston, Los Angeles & now Las Vegas...and I believe that McDavid should be playing for one of them. Forget LA and LV...I don't want McDavid in our Conference. Toronto has the pieces to make a trade but would gain very little in doing so (ie/ McDavid is less valuable to them than the other 2). So that leaves NYR and BOS. I feel like NYR is headed in the right direction, and any pieces they send back would leave them in Cap hell (where the Oilers are now), so by default, we have the Bruins. Here's the proposal:

TO BOS

TO COILERS

Coyle (gotta make space for their new Centre who will replace Bergeron as captain and face of the franchise)

2022 1st

In one move the Oilers fix multiple issues (Starting G, weak Defence, lack of scoring depth and 3C issues)

Bruins get the new Captain and face of the franchise for the next 1/2 decade + and they retain a formidable top 6 (McDavid, Hall, Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak and room for one of their up and comers like Senyshyn to take a top 6 spot).

Not many teams in the NHL would have what it takes to pry McDavid free (cap space and players / picks / prospects) but this should get the deal done.

OK...other than the obvious argument that Holland would be run out of town if he ever traded McDavid...flame away...

First of all, his cap hit is 12.5 million.

However, I do agree with your opinion of moving McJesus. His cap hit, in combination with other big ticket players, is too high for them to be able to acquire enough depth to stay competitive. Their reliance on him is too high. Eliminate McDavid, you eliminate the Oilers.

In the fantastic world of armchair gming, moving McDavid would bring an obscene return and, imo, launch Edmonton to the next level.

That being said, any deal involving him has to bring back another, lesser center (prefferably one just entering his prime) and a top 2, scoring dman, and a goalie upgrade.

An example could be found in Detroit.

McDavid for Larkin, Seider, Nedeljkovic, and their first round pick 2023

This would be a massive deal.

Detroit gets the best player in the world. He immediately causes attendance to skyrocket and raises viewership in the US. It's a big price to pay but, the revenue ramifications would be too high for Detroit ownership to say no. At 25, Connor McDavid is still young enough to build around. Yserman is a master tactician when it comes to drafting and acquiring players. I would trust in him to surround McDavid with quality players that work with him.

Edmonton gets three key players that, imo, make this team more competitive.

Larkin is a good center but, is a significant downgrade from McDavid, making him more affordable. 

They also get a offensive, sizey defender in Seider who's still on his entry level contract.

Between the pipes, Edmonton has been woefully lacking a quality starter. While Nedeljkovic isn't a household name, he is, nonetheless, a solid upgrade on what they have now. 

The first round pick is for the 2023 draft but this is strategic in order to give Yserman a chance to pick up a key piece to work with McDavid, thus, making the deal more palatable for Detroit.

This deal, though fantasy, makes sense for both sides and would address Edmonton's issues, ushering in a new era in Coiler town.

Here is how I compare Edmonton.Lets say the team is a team of sled dogs.They have a real powerful Husky at the front and another tied beside it.After that the next pair are a smaller less strong breed like labradors.After that its a team of hound dogs,beagles and chahuhua's.Sure they are pulling but you  always gain very little ground over time.If some one comes along and offers to trade you 4 more Huskys,though not as strong and fast as your top dog,then that is what you should do.At least you are closer to having a fair good team of the proper dogs pulling the sled.Watch as your sled starts finally gaining much more ground.

20 hours ago, ABNuck said:

TO BOS

TO COILERS

2022 1st

So that isn't nearly a package for the best player in the league.

You would be looking at your first round picks for several years, some great roster pieces, and your top prospects.   There is only one McDavid and as much as I love to hate the hockey team from "the city of champions", you don't give up the top player on the planet for a few decent assets.

Heck, we should be able to get that package for Miller, DiPietro, and Rathbone.

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

So that isn't nearly a package for the best player in the league.

You would be looking at your first round picks for several years, some great roster pieces, and your top prospects.   There is only one McDavid and as much as I love to hate the hockey team from "the city of champions", you don't give up the top player on the planet for a few decent assets.

Heck, we should be able to get that package for Miller, DiPietro, and Rathbone.

You're right, but, my analogy would be like owning a mansion at the corner of Main St & E.Hastings. You can claim all you want that it's worth 20 million dollars, but you'd have a tough time finding anyone to pay it.

6 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

You're right, but, my analogy would be like owning a mansion at the corner of Main St & E.Hastings. You can claim all you want that it's worth 20 million dollars, but you'd have a tough time finding anyone to pay it.

Except McDavid is a mansion in the centre of Shaughnessy.  Plenty of teams would be in line if he ever became available.

Wouldn’t you trade Petterson, DiPietro, Rathbone, and a couple of 1st round picks for him?  I would. That package is way better than the one in the OP.

McDavid and Horvat as centres added to Hughes and Demko is the spine of a contending team.  That is already ahead of Edmonton by miles and you can fill around that with players who will sign for cheaper just for the chance to win.

37 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except McDavid is a mansion in the centre of Shaughnessy.  Plenty of teams would be in line if he ever became available.

Wouldn’t you trade Petterson, DiPietro, Rathbone, and a couple of 1st round picks for him?  I would. That package is way better than the one in the OP.

McDavid and Horvat as centres added to Hughes and Demko is the spine of a contending team.  That is already ahead of Edmonton by miles and you can fill around that with players who will sign for cheaper just for the chance to win.

Which is the original premise of the post. IF plenty of players would be scrambling to play with McDavid, then why can't Edmonton seem to sign any high profile FA's? They over paid for Hyman and they have over paid before for players just to convince them to play in Edmonton. If McDavid played for NYR or LA instead, there'd be no problem.

Edmonton = tire dump fire, sure there's heat coming off that thing but my gosh, the smell is horrendous!

In the interests of all 32 teams (think of the NHL as one business with 32 owners), McDavid is better off (and the NHL is better off) if he played for one of the higher profile teams...move the mansion away from the dump.