The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes re-sign Jalen Chatfield

13 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Another prospect D man we give up on... How about Forsling 25. 6'0 #4 D man with Florida,  Benning drafted 2014..I was so disappointed when they traded him before playing a NHL game....

says something about our development, coaching and ability to put players in a position to succeed, no?

Ex-Van Ds around the league

Tanev

Guber

Schmidt

Benny The Hut

Oli

Biega

dEdly

Tony

the other Benny

Forsling

Weber just left for Europe

Oscar

except for Tanev and Edler all these guys were playing too high up the line up and/or were rushed

• Vintage 3

43 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Another prospect D man we give up on... How about Forsling 25. 6'0 #4 D man with Florida,  Benning drafted 2014..I was so disappointed when they traded him before playing a NHL game....

Forsling was a causality of retooling when we should’ve been rebuilding. Aquaman wanted playoffs so Benning had to deal prospects for fringe NHLer prospects like Clendening, Vey and Pedan. All guys that couldn’t stick with their drafted teams and were becoming waiver eligible and we thought it would be smart to trade things of value for them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I actually liked Chatfield and was one of the few defending him here.  

He was mobile and feisty.  He just fell prey to the entire team sucking so bad last year.  

In any case, Kyle Burroughs is a better version of Chatfield and I'm very happy with him.  

14 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I actually liked Chatfield and was one of the few defending him here.  

He was mobile and feisty.  He just fell prey to the entire team sucking so bad last year.  

In any case, Kyle Burroughs is a better version of Chatfield and I'm very happy with him.  

I'd like him more as a winger. He'd make a good, grinding winger and I'm shocked he hasn't tried it in order to stick in the pros.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

I can't say that I'm losing any sleep over this one. Chatfield always impressed me as being a potentially good, offensive AHL d-man. Maybe he's finally developed enough after four years in Vancouver's system to be a good AHL d-man (of course, his slow development is all on the Canucks).

And I'm still not caring about Forsling. Five years after he was traded to Chicago he's (finally) starting to produce points... kinda'

I looked up his production back in November and I was most impressed. He had double figures in assists, which suggests Hughes level of play in puck movement/passing etc. Most of his points (assists) were 2nd assists, which aren't a bad thing, but in Forsling's case they came from plays like, the other team takes a shot, and Forsling gets hit by the puck (while trying to get out of the way of the shot, rather than trying to block the shot). Another Panther then grabbed the puck, and skates it down the ice and passes to the eventual goal scorer. There was also a first assist where the puck came to him him, and (perhaps in a panic), and he fired it to Barkov, who fought his way out of the Panther's zone and skated down the ice and scored. I was seeing good fortune, not good play.

Frankly, I'm seeing him having a Garrison type of season, being lucky with the team he is with, his D partner and the situations in which he has found himself rather than a lot of ability on his part. 

regards,  G.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, lmm said:

says something about our development, coaching and ability to put players in a position to succeed, no?

Ex-Van Ds around the league

Tanev

Guber

Schmidt

Benny The Hut

Oli

Biega

dEdly

Tony

the other Benny

Forsling

Weber just left for Europe

Oscar

except for Tanev and Edler all these guys were playing too high up the line up and/or were rushed

Only player on your listed developed in Vancouver  Tanev, Edler and maybe Hutton..........Forsling was 19 in Sweden traded and other players were work in progress example Juolevi....

I am one of the 3 people that really like Chatfield. Good for him to find a place on a really good team. More squadered talent to add to the list :)

But for real, happy for the guy. Averaging 16 and a half minutes a game on a really good team. It's only 7 games, but still. Showing he can hang in the league.

20 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I like Chatfield's hustle but there's no way he ready for the NHL while here; I thought he might not be offered a contract. Happy for him he found a home and seems to have taken a step up this year

I think all player evaluations done during Green's tenure or pre BB should be questioned. 

We are getting better performance per player so we don't actually know what Jalen would have done under BB or with a better system. That being said, I absolutely love Burroughs so that takes the sting out of seeing chatfield finding success on another team. 

• Cheers 1

On 1/22/2022 at 1:21 AM, flickyoursedin said:

Forsling was a causality of retooling when we should’ve been rebuilding. Aquaman wanted playoffs so Benning had to deal prospects for fringe NHLer prospects like Clendening, Vey and Pedan. All guys that couldn’t stick with their drafted teams and were becoming waiver eligible and we thought it would be smart to trade things of value for them.

And he's been traded twice... don't think he would have been here regardless. 

Chatfield is in the AHL.  He was briefly brought up in early December when they were dealing with injuries and Covid.  Played 7 games and went on IR but he's been activated off IR at the end of December and sent to the AHL.   

The deal he signed is a two-way deal - ie they likely expect him in the AHL next season too.  It becomes a 1-way in year 2 but it's low enough that they can entirely bury his cap hit should he not earn an NHL roster spot.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I think all player evaluations done during Green's tenure or pre BB should be questioned. 

We are getting better performance per player so we don't actually know what Jalen would have done under BB or with a better system. That being said, I absolutely love Burroughs so that takes the sting out of seeing chatfield finding success on another team. 

No doubt, I think Burroughs has been absolutely solid in his role