The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Time for JR to make his first big move (Boeser)

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Demko was crappy for three games.  That was why we lost.  That doesn’t mean he’s a bum.  Bubble Demko is top five on the planet.  At his contract, he’s number one.  We need to score too though.  Bess is one of those rare guys who can score when the goalie sees the shot clean.  Petey and Pods have shots like that too.  

Bess hasn't beaten a goalie clean in years. 

6 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

100% this is a move not only to create cap To re up horvat and Miller guys your gonna win with the package I’d look at it is with New York rangers 

Rangers Recieve:

Tanner Pearson Brock boeser 4th round pick

Canucks recieve: Schiender,Kravtsov 2nd round pick 

Reasons Canucks do it create cap space and get 2 young prospects 

Reasons Rangers do it kravtsov wants out they get 2 good players to make run now for cup

The Rangers don't have the cap space to take on Boeser and Pearson.  Also, Miller fits their team better as he can come in and play as a 2C behind Zibanejad.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So we give up Bess for Schneider?  This Schneider better be one heck of a prospect, and become a top four guy ASAP, or we are getting bent over the barrel, taken to the woodshed, and slapped silly.  

He absolutely is kid is nhl ready cool calm collective 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Rangers don't have the cap space to take on Boeser and Pearson.  Also, Miller fits their team better as he can come in and play as a 2C behind Zibanejad.  

There getting two guys for cup run for two guys not in there lineup right now I hardly think they turn this down 

I'd bullish on moving Miller, but I'm open to the possibility of moving both. But like all trade scenarios, it depends on what we get back. Regardless of whether it's Miller, Boeser, or both who goes, getting the right return is key. 

I would rather retain Boeser though, if he can be had at a number more manageable than his qualifying offer. But no, I don't see him as being a player who's currently worth 7.5M+. 

• Like 1

I really don't think this is a Boeser vs Miller situation, like many have painted it. 

Completely separate discussions IMO. Miller is more "does he fit the team's contention window". Where as Boeser, is more of a "will he sign a reasonable extension" and/or "can his skill set, with his lack of speed, be an asset while this team is contending".

Moving one does not preclude moving the other IMO.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Rangers need a 2C not more wingers.  Take a look at their roster.  Miller is a much better fit and will get us a better return.

I think moving Miller or horvat sets us way back into rebuild we can afford lose boeser I’m not trading miller

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I really don't think this is a Boeser vs Miller situation, like many have painted it. 

Completely separate discussions IMO. Miller is more "does he fit the team's contention window". Where as Boeser, is more of a "will he sign a reasonable extension" and/or "can his skill set, with his lack of speed, be an asset while this team is contending".

100 percent it does if we re up boeser for 7 million he’s gonna want we are not getting back Miller and horvat which is big trouble for this organization 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

the Hockey Writers wrote that Boeser's next contract will likely be a $7.5-8.5M/yr x 6-7 years

These guys may have wrote this but I don't believe it. 

Everyone is scared of by Boeser's qualifying offer at 7+ million but if he wants any kind of term whatsoever then I can't see him justifying too much more than what Garland is currently being paid.

I guess his willingness to remain in Vancouver will be sifted out before it guts to the point of a qualifying offer needing to be given, if he wants 7.5-8.5 then trade him at the TDL, if he is more reasonable and realistic then keep him.

2 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

I think moving Miller or horvat sets us way back into rebuild we can afford lose boeser I’m not trading miller

I agree.  I don't really want to trade Miller either.  I think we are closer to being a contender than other people think.  I'm hoping that JR can tweak this roster and we can make a great playoff run this year.  However, my sense is that someone is going to overpay for Miller and force JR's hand.  The Rangers are looking like that team.  Schneider, 2022 1st round pick and Kravtsov for Miller would be an overpayment and I would do that deal if offered.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Rangers need a 2C not more wingers.  Take a look at their roster.  Miller is a much better fit and will get us a better return.

I have took a look at roster and kappo laf hunt goodrow have gave them not much on wing department they could easily slide both those guys in there top 6 panarin krieder are there only reliable wingers

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  I don't really want to trade Miller either.  I think we are closer to being a contender than other people think.  I'm hoping that JR can tweak this roster and we can make a great playoff run this year.  However, my sense is that someone is going to overpay for Miller and force JR's hand.  The Rangers are looking like that team.  Schneider, 2022 1st round pick and Kravtsov for Miller would be an overpayment and I would do that deal if offered.

I wish we could get that but I don’t think they give up schiender and kravtsov and there 1st in deal unless we did include Pearson 

4 minutes ago, GB5 said:

These guys may have wrote this but I don't believe it. 

Everyone is scared of by Boeser's qualifying offer at 7+ million but if he wants any kind of term whatsoever then I can't see him justifying too much more than what Garland is currently being paid.

I guess his willingness to remain in Vancouver will be sifted out before it guts to the point of a qualifying offer needing to be given, if he wants 7.5-8.5 then trade him at the TDL, if he is more reasonable and realistic then keep him.

Boeser isn't going to sign a long term deal for $5 million per.  He will simply sign his QO at $7.5 million and bet on himself that he has a great year next year.  If he does then if the Canucks take him to arbitration he will have a good case to get $8 million on his next contract.  He had 49 points in 56 games last year.  If he can get back to those numbers under Boudreau then there is no reason he can't get an $8 million contract.

12 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

No? Trade Miller and you still theoretically have two top six centers in Horvat and Pettersson and a top six of Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Garland, Hoglander, and Pearson. Or mix Podz in if you think he's ready. Plus whatever return we get for Miller. 

Trading Miller doesn't doom us to rebuild territory, that's silly. There's no reason this team couldn't be competitive going forward without him, particularly if moving him out allows us to bring in pieces to flesh out the rest of the roster. Plus, even if you retain half his contract for 1.25 seasons you're still freeing up important cap space. 

Even with Miller we're unlikely to contend over the next few years, and he won't be getting any younger. He'll be 29 in a couple months, he's not going to maintain his current level of play forever. Every player has a peak, and it's a lot more common for forwards to begin falling off in their 30's than to produce like top liners. You're not retaining Miller for anything less than 8M, let's be real, and it could very well be more than that. An 8M anchor signed to term when the rest of our core is actually hitting it's prime could very well be the anchor that sinks us.

Moving him for assets and building around the younger core makes sense. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If JR is true to his word about being contenders in 2 years I see no reason why Miller would be past his best before. IMO he's got 4-5 peak years left.