The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We Are The Smallest Team In The League With 8 Players Under 6 Feet Tall!!!

Rate this topic

RolexSub

I just accounted for 8 players that are under 6ft tall in stature. Here are the following players under 6ft tall under our current lineup: 

Forwards: 

Conor Garland: 5'7" 165lbs

Nils Hoglander: 5'9" 190lbs

Sheldon Dries: 5'9" 185lbs

Tyler Motte: 5'10" 192lbs

Justin Dowling: 5'10" 181lbs

Matthew Highmore: 5'11" 187lbs

Defence: 

Brad Hunt: 5'9" 176lbs

Quinn Hughes: 5'10" 170lbs 

Between the 8 players above we average in 5'9"tall and weighing in at 180lbs only. I am sure some of the players above are smaller and the Canucks just being more generous in their exact height and weight. 

I know size isn't always everything but only if you play like Brad Marchand can in the NHL to be affective player. 

I think we need to beef up in size and strength and toughness before the trading deadline. With my list above, I am hoping we trade the following for up size: 

Size will definitely matter during the playoffs as each series you have to grind it out. To be a contender in the future we need to upsize this trading deadline.  

Edited by RolexSub
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RolexSub said:

I think we need to beef up in size and strength and toughness before the trading deadline. I am hope out of the list above I am hoping we trade the following for up size: 

Size will definitely matter during the playoffs as each series you have to grind it out. To be a contender in the future we need to upsize this trading deadline.  

That's unconventional thinking there

Are you proposing we draft Cows ?

Probably not count against the cap either, as they'd work for good grass

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RolexSub said:

I think we need to beef up in size and strength and toughness before the trading deadline. I am hope out of the list above I am hoping we trade the following for up size: 

What do you possibly think would be the trade value for these players

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Only like 5 of those guys are regulars. Nice try though. 

Ok even with 5 regulars, that’s almost 1/3 of our line. That’s around 33% which is high compared to other teams. I am not hating on smaller players but just saying I think we need to get bigger and tougher and faster. 

Edited by RolexSub

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As Garland, Hoglander, Motte, Highmore have largely shown the past few seasons, its not about the size of the dog that brings success, its the heart and battle of the dog.

Size helps, but its not the determining factor. IMO, this team lacks players who can drive play consistently. Other than Miller and Garland, we haven't had enough guys contributing to that. I will take the battle level of these shorter players over players over 6'1'' but have zero brains for the game aka Nick Ritchie, Jake Virtanen, other meat heads with no hockey IQ or questionable effort level.

I agree size is not everything if you read my post and I am happy with Hughes, Garland, Hogs, and Motte. It’s the other players I think we should start shopping for. 

Edited by RolexSub

22 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Ok even with 5 regulars, that’s almost 1/3 of our line. That’s around 33% which is high compared to other teams. I am not hating on smaller players but just saying I think we need to get bigger and tougher and faster. 

Except it’s been proven countless times that will and skill mean so much more than size. No sense in having a 6’6” goon with stone hands out there if he contributes nothing besides that. 

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

Except it’s been proven countless times that will and skill mean so much more than size. No sense in having a 6’6” goon with stone hands out there if he contributes nothing besides that. 

I am not saying we need a goon and you are happy with the 8 players we have and that we are a losing team in the verge of missing another year playoff and you don’t want any changes to improve. Hmmm got it.

To be successful in the NHL you need skills, size, grit, hard working, heart, and speed. And all I am saying is we need to address those elements we are lacking and size, grit, and speed has been an issue for a long time here and part of it is due to a smaller team we have. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As Garland, Hoglander, Motte, Highmore have largely shown the past few seasons, its not about the size of the dog that brings success, its the heart and battle of the dog.

Size helps, but its not the determining factor. IMO, this team lacks players who can drive play consistently. Other than Miller and Garland, we haven't had enough guys contributing to that. I will take the battle level of these shorter players over players over 6'1'' but have zero brains for the game aka Nick Ritchie, Jake Virtanen, other meat heads with no hockey IQ or questionable effort level.

You need to think 1 step ahead. Obviously we are in this crappy stage where we dont/ are borderline to make the playoffs. But once in the playoffs, other teams have proven they cant win a series without grit like the Leafs, Lightning before their cups. We need to stockpile some grit now so we can hopefully make a run in the next 2-3 years. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

You need to think 1 step ahead. Obviously we are in this crappy stage where we dont/ are borderline to make the playoffs. But once in the playoffs, other teams have proven they cant win a series without grit like the Leafs, Lightning before their cups. We need to stockpile some grit now so we can hopefully make a run in the next 2-3 years. 

Sure this may be true, but you don’t need size to be gritty. Tyler Motte is the best example.