The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We Are The Smallest Team In The League With 8 Players Under 6 Feet Tall!!!

Rate this topic

RolexSub

51 minutes ago, Pears said:

Sure this may be true, but you don’t need size to be gritty. Tyler Motte is the best example. 

..? Teams aren't going to say oh $&!# I better have my head up, Tyler Motte's on the ice. Nor will Motte be dropping the gloves. 

Motte is great, I hate to keep saying this, but we need a gritty checking line like what Tampa Bay had with the Goodrow line. Dickinson was supposed to be a move in that direction that has failed miserably.

And when your supposedly gritty 3rd/4th line Highmore gets ragdolled by a 5 feet 9 Torey Krug? Yes there's a problem. 

Edited by Drakrami
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

The only players on your list contracted beyond this season are Dowling, Hogs, Hughes and Garland. Dowling is on league minimum for one more year, so not really an issue.

With that in mind...

Hughes for Oleksiak

Garland for Boyle

Hogs for Bjugstad

#plantheparade

Our average height and weight is pretty similar to most other teams in the NHL. Even if it wasn't your solution is to trade Dries, Dowling, Highmore and Hunt? Who would be trading for them and what would they give us?

I did some research of my own, a hockey puck is 1" thick so a stack of 84 would be 7 foot tall. If we package all 4 with a 2nd round pick I reckon you might pull it off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As Garland, Hoglander, Motte, Highmore have largely shown the past few seasons, its not about the size of the dog that brings success, its the heart and battle of the dog.

Size helps, but its not the determining factor. IMO, this team lacks players who can drive play consistently. Other than Miller and Garland, we haven't had enough guys contributing to that. I will take the battle level of these shorter players over players over 6'1'' but have zero brains for the game aka Nick Ritchie, Jake Virtanen, other meat heads with no hockey IQ or questionable effort level.

Precisely.

The players listed don't play like little men. They are all strong on their feet, have tons of heart, and while they don't tend to come out the winner in an all-out physical battle they still win many battles because they simply outwill the opponent. These guys aren't going to do a lot of damage to opposing players with their forechecks (except perhaps cumulatively)  but they aren't a liability in the toughness or grit department at all.

And I totally agree with your comment about the Virtanen's of the world. Size is only an advantage if you use it. Sad to think once again what "could have been".

• Thanks 2

I agree, you bigger players with skill and speed to win in this league, and the lame arguments about no skill goons are cop outs to make a point, nobody want knuckle draggers.

Where this comes into play is the long post season where the little guys will run out of steam for the most part when push comes to shove with big skilled NHL defense men.

Tampa Bay...

Hedman 6'6 241lbs

Sergachev 6'3 213lbs

McDonagh 6'1 215lbs

Rutta 6'3 204lbs

Cernak 6'3 230lbs

Bogosian 6'2 200lbs

Foote 6'4 227lbs

Sustr 6'7 217lbs

Once these guys start leaning on our forwards in a 7 game series... never mind getting to the finals past other teams D cores, it usually doesn't favor the 5'7 170lb guys...

It's just physics

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RolexSub said:

I just accounted for 8 players that are under 6ft tall in stature. Here are the following players under 6ft tall under our current lineup: 

Forwards: 

Conor Garland: 5'7" 165lbs

Nils Hoglander: 5'9" 190lbs

Sheldon Dries: 5'9" 185lbs

Tyler Motte: 5'10" 192lbs

Justin Dowling: 5'10" 181lbs

Matthew Highmore: 5'11" 187lbs

Defence: 

Brad Hunt: 5'9" 176lbs

Quinn Hughes: 5'10" 170lbs 

Between the 8 players above we average in 5'9"tall and weighing in at 180lbs only. I am sure some of the players above are smaller and the Canucks just being more generous in their exact height and weight. 

I know size isn't always everything but only if you play like Brad Marchand can in the NHL to be affective player. 

I think we need to beef up in size and strength and toughness before the trading deadline. With my list above, I am hoping we trade the following for up size: 

Size will definitely matter during the playoffs as each series you have to grind it out. To be a contender in the future we need to upsize this trading deadline.  

yeah but we have the widest team, so its OK.

• Haha 2

Every team in the NHL is close to the same average height. There are 7 teams that have an average height of 6'2" and everyone else is at  6'1".

Vancouver Canucks average height = 6'1"  average weight = 196 lbs.

Florida Panthers average height = 6'1"  average weight = 195 lbs.

I never hear that Florida is too small to compete in the playoffs and need to get bigger.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/teams-physical-stats/2021-2022

11 hours ago, RolexSub said:

I just accounted for 8 players that are under 6ft tall in stature. Here are the following players under 6ft tall under our current lineup: 

Forwards: 

Conor Garland: 5'7" 165lbs

Nils Hoglander: 5'9" 190lbs

Tyler Motte: 5'10" 192lbs

Defence: 

Quinn Hughes: 5'10" 170lbs 

Between the 8 players above we average in 5'9"tall and weighing in at 180lbs only. I am sure some of the players above are smaller and the Canucks just being more generous in their exact height and weight. 

I know size isn't always everything but only if you play like Brad Marchand can in the NHL to be affective player. 

I think we need to beef up in size and strength and toughness before the trading deadline. With my list above, I am hoping we trade the following for up size: 

Size will definitely matter during the playoffs as each series you have to grind it out. To be a contender in the future we need to upsize this trading deadline.  

Hence, team Charmin!

Imo, a roster paired with the proper staff can, mitigate alot of the weaknesses a roster may have, in terms of size or talent.  Constantly, changing a roster trend, is a fools game and better for a team to keep drafting BPA and make up for it with systems, off the ice - through preparation & etc - cause the teams that makes the playoffs, are always changing every year.

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Every team in the NHL is close to the same average height. There are 7 teams that have an average height of 6'2" and everyone else is at  6'1".

I never hear that Florida is too small to compete in the playoffs and need to get bigger.

I am not huge fan of averages.

If Hunt, Hughes, Garland, Petey, and Hogz are on the ice it's small.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canucklehead73 said:

I agree, you bigger players with skill and speed to win in this league, and the lame arguments about no skill goons are cop outs to make a point, nobody want knuckle draggers.

Where this comes into play is the long post season where the little guys will run out of steam for the most part when push comes to shove with big skilled NHL defense men.

Tampa Bay...

Hedman 6'6 241lbs

Sergachev 6'3 213lbs

McDonagh 6'1 215lbs

Rutta 6'3 204lbs

Cernak 6'3 230lbs

Bogosian 6'2 200lbs

Foote 6'4 227lbs

Sustr 6'7 217lbs

Once these guys start leaning on our forwards in a 7 game series... never mind getting to the finals past other teams D cores, it usually doesn't favor the 5'7 170lb guys...

It's just physics

Yea that is the challenge.

Regular season is fine, playoffs you need war horses and the Canucks aren't tested but I'd bet on Hedman vs Garland in a 7 game series.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

We average 6'1" probably with a big boost from Myer's 6'8" frame. But 1/3 of our line up every game in game out is we have smaller guys playing. If all you guys are so keen on keeping the same small line ups and continue to lose and not make a change and not noticing our team is on the smaller scale in the NHL its ok then I have nothing to say here in making suggestions in finding a potential route cause of losing. The team was built small from the Benning Era and I guess you guys are missing him lots still lol. 

2 hours ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Tampa Bay...

Hedman 6'6 241lbs

Sergachev 6'3 213lbs

McDonagh 6'1 215lbs

Rutta 6'3 204lbs

Cernak 6'3 230lbs

Bogosian 6'2 200lbs

Foote 6'4 227lbs

Sustr 6'7 217lbs

It's just physics

That is why they are Stanley Cup winners and we are not. Look at the huge difference in size compared to our team lol.