The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We Are The Smallest Team In The League With 8 Players Under 6 Feet Tall!!!

Rate this topic

RolexSub

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

..? Teams aren't going to say oh $&!# I better have my head up, Tyler Motte's on the ice. Nor will Motte be dropping the gloves. 

Motte is great, I hate to keep saying this, but we need a gritty checking line like what Tampa Bay had with the Goodrow line. Dickinson was supposed to be a move in that direction that has failed miserably.

And when your supposedly gritty 3rd/4th line Highmore gets ragdolled by a 5 feet 9 Torey Krug? Yes there's a problem. 

Krug got penalized and we scored just as the ensuing power play ended.

Highmore showed good discipline by not responding. He can always get payback on tough guy Torrie at some future date.

19 minutes ago, Wanless said:

If they were taller then they wouldnt be catching covid

then 4 of those 8 wouldnt be playing

and crosby should retire cause hes 5’10

!!!!!!!

How many Crosby that is 5'10" that is successful in the league that we know of lol!! 

There will be smaller players in every NHL teams but not 1/3 of your regular line up are around 5'9" in stature. 

Edited by RolexSub

1 minute ago, RolexSub said:

How many Crosby that is 5'10" that is successful in the league that we know of lol!! 

There will be smaller players in every NHL teams but not 1/3 of your regular line up are around 5'9" in stature. 

Dries Dowling Highmore and Hunt are all fill ins for Horvat Garland Miller and Hamonic

so that is 4 players of 18 that are under 6 feet

thats not 1/3 of a regular lineup thats 22% of the regular lineup

and 2 of those regular 4 that are “undersized” as you say are at the top of team scoring

7 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Dries Dowling Highmore and Hunt are all fill ins for Horvat Garland Miller and Hamonic

so that is 4 players of 18 that are under 6 feet

thats not 1/3 of a regular lineup thats 22% of the regular lineup

and 2 of those regular 4 that are “undersized” as you say are at the top of team scoring

Conor Garland: Regular

Nils Hoglander: Regular

Tyler Motte: Regular

Matthew Highmore: Regular

Quinn Hughes: Regular 

I would say 5 players are regulars. I am good with 4 out of the 5 on that list. I am not saying we should get rid of Garland, Hogs, Motte, and Hughes if you look at my post. All 4 plays with heart and skills and we need them to be part of our puzzle. However, the other 4 guys we should look into moving them to up size.  

1 hour ago, RolexSub said:

We average 6'1" probably with a big boost from Myer's 6'8" frame. But 1/3 of our line up every game in game out is we have smaller guys playing. If all you guys are so keen on keeping the same small line ups and continue to lose and not make a change and not noticing our team is on the smaller scale in the NHL its ok then I have nothing to say here in making suggestions in finding a potential route cause of losing. The team was built small from the Benning Era and I guess you guys are missing him lots still lol. 

Jim Benning is 6'0" and Jim Rutherford is 5'8" in heels. ::D

I'm not against having more big players with skill. The problem is you can't get them by trading a load of boarderline NHL/AHL players on expiring contracts.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Drakrami said:

..? Teams aren't going to say oh $&!# I better have my head up, Tyler Motte's on the ice. Nor will Motte be dropping the gloves. 

Motte is great, I hate to keep saying this, but we need a gritty checking line like what Tampa Bay had with the Goodrow line. Dickinson was supposed to be a move in that direction that has failed miserably.

And when your supposedly gritty 3rd/4th line Highmore gets ragdolled by a 5 feet 9 Torey Krug? Yes there's a problem. 

Not sure I'd call that ragdolling and without it probably would've lost 3-0

49 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Not sure I'd call that ragdolling and without it probably would've lost 3-0

That is another reason why we are small and no one will step up and drop their gloves for their teammates.

Another reason for us to get bigger and tougher so no one will pick on our smaller guys. 

4 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

That is another reason why we are small and no one will step up and drop their gloves for their teammates.

Another reason for us to get bigger and tougher so no one will pick on our smaller guys. 

I don't think any other player on the ice even realised what was happening and only noticed Highmore was down when they were about to re-enter the zone by which point the refs were standing over him. Drawing two cheapshot penalties was probably the best outcome in the circumstances.

50 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't think any other player on the ice even realised what was happening and only noticed Highmore was down when they were about to re-enter the zone by which point the refs were standing over him. Drawing two cheapshot penalties was probably the best outcome in the circumstances.

This is not the first time seeing our smaller player getting cheap shot on. As a matter of fact it happens so often the last 10yrs during the Sedin Era and our team is where we are today vs Tampa Bay and look at their sizeable team as they have all the right elements to be successful. How many cups have we won during the time in the league vs Tampa for example. I am just saying we need a change and having a smaller team will definitely not help us in the long run. 

The playoffs,

Refs put their whistles away, and seem to favour certain hockey markets over others. 
This is when players policing each other actually becomes a big part of the game.

Small size doesn't mean nearly as much during the regular season as compared to the playoffs. 
The height to weight ratio for NHL athletes is fairly consistent. Need that weight to go the distance.

Edited by snowjunki

13 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

This is not the first time seeing our smaller player getting cheap shot on. As a matter of fact it happens so often the last 10yrs during the Sedin Era and our team is where we are today vs Tampa Bay and look at their sizeable team as they have all the right elements to be successful. How many cups have we won during the time in the league vs Tampa for example. I am just saying we need a change and having a smaller team will definitely not help us in the long run. 

At the risk of going round in circles you're also saying you want to keep Garland, Motte, Hughes and Hoglander. All the other players on your list won't be on the team next year and they don't have any trade value. If Vancouver makes the playoffs this season they'll be in such good form this group deserves a shot. Obviously it's more likely that they won't so the options are trade someone (Miller, Boeser, EP, Hughes?) for size & quality, or get bigger bottom six players in FA.

In summary - I'm not convinced you've identified a problem, your solution isn't viable and this thread doesn't really add anything to your previous one on the same subject.

27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

At the risk of going round in circles you're also saying you want to keep Garland, Motte, Hughes and Hoglander. All the other players on your list won't be on the team next year and they don't have any trade value. If Vancouver makes the playoffs this season they'll be in such good form this group deserves a shot. Obviously it's more likely that they won't so the options are trade someone (Miller, Boeser, EP, Hughes?) for size & quality, or get bigger bottom six players in FA.

In summary - I'm not convinced you've identified a problem, your solution isn't viable and this thread doesn't really add anything to your previous one on the same subject.

Ok at least you agree with me in your statement "for size & quality, or get bigger bottom six players in FA" and if you don't think size is a problem for us why have we been losing and the verge of missing the playoffs for 2yrs straight? Size is one key element and I didn't say its the only factor.  

37 minutes ago, snowjunki said:

The playoffs,

Refs put their whistles away, and seem to favour certain hockey markets over others. 
This is when players policing each other actually becomes a big part of the game.

Small size doesn't mean nearly as much during the regular season as compared to the playoffs. 
The height to weight ratio for NHL athletes is fairly consistent. Need that weight to go the distance.

The playoffs is where it really counts.  And its precisely because refs put their whistles away.  No more "big man" penalties. The hitting is harder, and you get away with way more borderline hits. This favours a team with a bigger average size in the long run.  Even if the refs start to call them at first, they can't call them all, and the law of averages plays out eventually.  

But its kinda funny reading this thread debating which is better (or worse),  A small skilled team, or a team made up of big goons.  How about neither?  Obviously the best outcome is a team of big, but also skilled players.  But of course, its near impossible to retain a team under the cap made up of those kinds of prize attributes.  McDavid is prized not just because of his skating and skill with the puck, but added onto that is his size.  Which helps him with his skating/stride, and also his intimidation factor coming down the ice.

We need size,  WITH skill and skating.   Good luck finding them though. 

And BTW, someone mentioned Crosby as an example of a "small" player being successful in the playoffs?   He's listed as 5' 11" on the NHL website but weighing in at 200 lbs.  He has thighs like redwoods with a butt any Kardashian would be proud of. He's built like a tank. Its not just height that can determine overall size and strength.   Example...Pettersson is 6' 2".  He has three inches on Sid. Guess who wins a puck battle?

• Cheers 1

Half these guys shouldn't even be in the lineup regularly. I dunno if you heard, but Covid protocols hit our lineup like a Martin Hanzel outta hell. Or whatever his name was. The guy that cross checked like 3 guys outta the lineup that one time. Anyway, yeah it'd be nice to get bigger. But it's hardly a crisis. If not for Covid and covid protocol we'd be the hottest team in the league right now and like I said, have those guys you named would still be in the A.

4 hours ago, snowjunki said:

The playoffs,

Thus the ability to play 5 vs 5 hockey becomes paramount, and, wouldn't you know, the Vancouver Midgets are #1 in the league 5 vs 5.  Who'dathunk?

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

Thus the ability to play 5 vs 5 hockey becomes paramount, and, wouldn't you know, the Vancouver Midgets are #1 in the league 5 vs 5.  Who'dathunk?

In the regular season.

Did we learn anything from the 2011 cup run?

Hits average out. Better have the roster that can meet that.

5 vs 5 regular season stats on paper... literally meaningless in the playoffs. It's an attrition war over multiple (4)5-7 game series. It's a truism at this point, after watching 20+ years of this team. 

Luck plays a part. Heart plays a huge part. Physics plays a part. 
It's a mix. ie, Sedins getting speed bagged in front of the net and getting a game misconduct out of it. Playoffs are whack

The one variable you can control is size and tenacity. Make it a team culture. Anyone doing the Jake dank dance can **(* off

But to deny that size and the skill to throw it isn't huge for playoff success...

well, 

agree to disagree