The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your favorite songs? (Discussion)

Rate this topic

J.I.A.H.N

I am pretty bad for knowing a few words of a song and not caring about the name of the song...........actually pretty brutal at it.

But I do have a couple of older songs I just feel good after listing too.............

- "The Joker"  Steve Miller band

- "Cocaine" Eric Clapton

- "On the Cover of the Rolling Stone" by Doctor Hook

If I am down, these song will get me going! "Cocaine", was my wake up song for almost a year, back in my early 20"s

What do you like?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Funny, I'm listening to the same playlist that's been on a loop for me for weeks now.  It's how I roll. 

So hard to pick favourite songs because they're ever changing and dependent on mood for me.  My favourites aren't really cheer me up songs, more mood songs that fully immerse me in them.  Drag me off somewhere.  The entire Jar of Flies album is one of those for me.  Never gets old.

(Love The Cover of The Rolling Stones...still remember every single word.  A lot of fun was had to that song).

Right now I'm fully invested in Deftones  (again) and some Marilyn Manson (I'm a weirdo.  Hate the man himself but love his music). I don't have "favourites" per se, but I have songs that I'm deeply connected to.

Matthew Good Champions of Nothing (my friend plays guitar on that one, he's brilliant).  

That song is powerful to me....first heard it during a really rough patch as my Mom was dying of brain cancer and my ex was being an absolute ass/harassing me one night.  Right before Christmas, and I was sitting cross legged in the dark by an undecorated Christmas tree trying to process the reality that my Mom was going into palliative and would not be coming back home again.   We tried to keep her home but Christmas even it all exploded and she had to go.  Was having violent seizures and had lost touch (completely).  Actually, the entire Hospital Music album is significant to me.

He kept calling (he was persistent like that) and I'd just pick up/hang up.  Rinse/repeat...as the beginning of that song played.  "Try again".

Gah, still cuts to the core.  (Not my ex stuff, Mom)

House of Smoke and Mirrors (again, Matt) also.  The line "and when I wake up you won't be here".  That also was on during Mom's stuff.  Heart ripper.

Holly McNarland has a few staples for me:  The Box, UFO, Water

The Hip:  Nautical Disaster.  And every other song by them.

Honestly, I probably have a hundred "favourite songs".

4 Non Blondes What's Up is a happy favourite that instantly puts me in a good mood (and I sing along, every single time).

Poets (Hip) is another favourite cheer me up song.  If that comes on, I'm instantly dancing.

Great thread!  (Hope I don't hog it like I do with music threads)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

For sure @-DLC-

Hey do you listen to car music loud or normal volume?

Because when I am alone and driving..............they hear me coming!

Loud.  It's the only way, isn't it?

I remember when COVID first started and we were told NOT to sing and I was in my car driving up Williams Road and I had Live Between Us (Hip) on and was singing along (who doesn't?).  It was a defining COVID moment for me...I realized I shouldn't be singing (would be picking someone up in my car) and that was a really weird moment.  What do you mean we can't sing?

I love music in the car.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

Loud.  It's the only way, isn't it?

I remember when COVID first started and we were told NOT to sing and I was in my car driving up Williams Road and I had Live Between Us (Hip) on and was singing along (who doesn't?).  It was a defining COVID moment for me...I realized I shouldn't be singing (would be picking someone up in my car) and that was a really weird moment.  What do you mean we can't sing?

I love music in the car.

Yeah....I got big time crap from my kids one day when they got in the car and I started it up with the radio not turned down.............now they do the same thing. LOL

It was blaring, though! LOL

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Yeah....I got big time crap from my kids one day when they got in the car and I started it up with the radio not turned down.............now they do the same thing. LOL

It was blaring, though! LOL

I used to be the Mom taxi for my daughter and her friends.  The music had to be loud.....  :lol:

• Haha 1

Me too...down the rabbit hole.  

OMG, not sure how I missed this off my first list.  A long standing favourite that is on constant cycle at my house is PF's Pigs 3 Different Ones

(OK, going to lie down now...still not feeling great).  To be cont'd..... (May as well just rename this Deb's 978 favourite songs)

• Haha 1

I also watch a lot of YouTube videos. Great memories. Occasionally I will watch a live performance and realize that

I was in the crowd.

Prince was very talented. I remember when he died in 2016. That was a tough year. David Bowie and Glenn Frey

both passed away in January, and my mother died on November 11, a few minutes before the 11:00 a.m. Moment

of Silence. :mellow:

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Funny, I'm listening to the same playlist that's been on a loop for me for weeks now.  It's how I roll. 

So hard to pick favourite songs because they're ever changing and dependent on mood for me.  My favourites aren't really cheer me up songs, more mood songs that fully immerse me in them.  Drag me off somewhere.  The entire Jar of Flies album is one of those for me.  Never gets old.

(Love The Cover of The Rolling Stones...still remember every single word.  A lot of fun was had to that song).

Right now I'm fully invested in Deftones  (again) and some Marilyn Manson (I'm a weirdo.  Hate the man himself but love his music). I don't have "favourites" per se, but I have songs that I'm deeply connected to.

Matthew Good Champions of Nothing (my friend plays guitar on that one, he's brilliant).  

That song is powerful to me....first heard it during a really rough patch as my Mom was dying of brain cancer and my ex was being an absolute ass/harassing me one night.  Right before Christmas, and I was sitting cross legged in the dark by an undecorated Christmas tree trying to process the reality that my Mom was going into palliative and would not be coming back home again.   We tried to keep her home but Christmas even it all exploded and she had to go.  Was having violent seizures and had lost touch (completely).  Actually, the entire Hospital Music album is significant to me.

He kept calling (he was persistent like that) and I'd just pick up/hang up.  Rinse/repeat...as the beginning of that song played.  "Try again".

Gah, still cuts to the core.  (Not my ex stuff, Mom)

House of Smoke and Mirrors (again, Matt) also.  The line "and when I wake up you won't be here".  That also was on during Mom's stuff.  Heart ripper.

Holly McNarland has a few staples for me:  The Box, UFO, Water

The Hip:  Nautical Disaster.  And every other song by them.

Honestly, I probably have a hundred "favourite songs".

4 Non Blondes What's Up is a happy favourite that instantly puts me in a good mood (and I sing along, every single time).

Poets (Hip) is another favourite cheer me up song.  If that comes on, I'm instantly dancing.

Great thread!  (Hope I don't hog it like I do with music threads)

Yes Deb! I love your taste in music 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, allegend said:

Prince was very talented.

Absolutely- great song writer and one of the best guitarists to ever walk this earth.

Super Bowl half time show, it is pouring rain, the show producer calls Prince and asks-"can we do anything to help"

Reply "Can you make it rain harder?"

Dang NFL anyway. :(

• Like 1