Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Gabe Vilardi


Recommended Posts

Gabe Vilardi is a ppg player in the AHL this year. Was a high 1st round pick but had some injuries. The kings have lots of young C's and signed Danault long term this past off season.

 

Vilardi has a decent size frame and is a right shot C, wonder what it would cost to acquire him? Would fit an area of need in the Canucks organization in my opinion!

 

Discuss and flame away as usual cdc...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the idea but you didn't propose what we give up for him.

 

Vilardi for 5th round pick? Yes please.

 

Vilardi for Quinn Hughes? No way.

 

If we trade Miller to NYR, he would be a good long term replacement helping us build stronger center depth.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The caveat to having young center's is that they're going to need them sooner than later though. You can always play talented centers on the wing. 

 

The biggest things to keep in mind when considering the Kings is that the youngest piece of their old core is 32, and that's Doughty. Brown just turned 37 in November, Kopitar's got two years left on his deal and will be 35 in August. Byfield has higher pedigree but he's also only 19 and may need a few years to get going, Vilardi's the other young center who's probably close to cracking their roster. They've also got Turcotte, but he looks like he might need to stew for a bit. 

 

They're going to have to replace Kopitar soon, that's huge, and having more young high end center's gives them better odds of having one who steps up to fill some of that massive void. So all that being said, trying to pry a young center from a divisional rival who probably needs them in LA wouldn't be cheap. 

Edited by Coconuts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The caveat to having young center's is that they're going to need them sooner than later though. You can always play talented centers on the wing. 

 

The biggest things to keep in mind when considering the Kings is that the youngest piece of their old core is 32, and that's Doughty. Brown just turned 37 in November, Kopitar's got two years left on his deal and will be 35 in August. Byfield has higher pedigree but he's also only 19 and may need a few years to get going, Vilardi's the other young center who's probably close to cracking their roster. They've also got Turcotte, but he looks like he might need to stew for a bit. 

 

They're going to have to replace Kopitar soon, that's huge, and having more young high end center's gives them better odds of having one who steps up to fill some of that massive void. So all that being said, trying to pry a young center from a divisional rival wouldn't be cheap. 

Exactly.  They can let him take all the time he needs to get those big minutes in Manchester and groom him to be a future top-6 C that he was projected to be, so they wouldn't be in a hurry to move him when Kopitar's still going strong.
We're also not in the strongest position to trade for other teams' assets, since Jim doesn't want to trade picks and we don't really have blue-chippers who aren't already in the NHL (we aren't in a position to give up on Klimovich or Rathbone).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Exactly.  They can let him take all the time he needs to get those big minutes in Manchester and groom him to be a future top-6 C that he was projected to be, so they wouldn't be in a hurry to move him when Kopitar's still going strong.
We're also not in the strongest position to trade for other teams' assets, since Jim doesn't want to trade picks and we don't really have blue-chippers who aren't already in the NHL (we aren't in a position to give up on Klimovich or Rathbone).

I agree with all of this...except I do think that Rathbone is moveable for a position of higher need like center, since as a LHD he would likely only be getting 3rd pairing minutes in VAN for the foreseeable future behind Hughes and OEL.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Exactly.  They can let him take all the time he needs to get those big minutes in Manchester and groom him to be a future top-6 C that he was projected to be, so they wouldn't be in a hurry to move him when Kopitar's still going strong.
We're also not in the strongest position to trade for other teams' assets, since Jim doesn't want to trade picks and we don't really have blue-chippers who aren't already in the NHL (we aren't in a position to give up on Klimovich or Rathbone).

For sure, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for LA to be moving out center's. And like you said, we don't exactly have a bunch of assets we could use to make such an acquisition. Our high end young talent is on our roster, outside of Klimovich we don't really have much in the way of blue chip guys. Maybe Rathbone fits into that category too, but I wouldn't personally put him there. 

 

And you're right, Rutherford doesn't want to move high picks, he's said as much, so you've gotta thing that's off the table for at least a while. 

 

This roster needs to get younger, Rutherford's said he wants to get younger, but given our prospect pool is a bit shallow right now it's unlikely we're moving prospects out. If we make acquisitions it'll take actual NHL players, probably a top six guy. 

 

I'd say Rathbone's maybe an exception though, given who he's got in front of him. 

Edited by Coconuts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the Kings consider him a top prospect, I don't know if we have what they want. I believe they are looking for a top-4 LD and we don't have any of those available, in fact we could use a good one to play 3rd pairing.

 

It'll also be quite risky for us given his injury troubles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I agree with all of this...except I do think that Rathbone is moveable for a position of higher need like center, since as a LHD he would likely only be getting 3rd pairing minutes in VAN for the foreseeable future behind Hughes and OEL.

Thing is, as optimistic as it is to believe that LA would want Rathbone, they aren't exactly deprived of LHD either.  Their top-pair LD is also a 22-year-old who's a pending RFA, and he currently logs around 20 minutes a night.  They could also bring back Maatta who they traded for and who's only 27, and their 3rd pair LD is a 1st round pick in Bjornfot who is described as
 

Quote

"Skates well, and is particularly adept at pivoting when placed in a defensive position. As a result, offensive players have a lot of trouble beating him in one-on-one situations. Is reliable, so he can log big minutes. Uses a deceptive point shot to put plenty of pucks on net. Lacks optimum size for a defenseman at the National Hockey League level, so he needs to prove he can properly defend bigger forwards at the highest level.

Long Range Potential: Smooth, big-minute defenseman with upside."

If they're grooming Bjornfot and would keep at least Anderson (their top pair LD) if not also Maatta around, we probably don't have much bargaining power since Rathbone isn't skilled enough in his own end to play defensive minutes and I question if he can dislodge either of the top-4 guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that we've got a 1 and 2 c  (Petey and Horvat) but we could use a defensive / pk specialist as 3c

 

If we're moving a top asset, we should be getting our biggest need in return (top 4RHD)

Miller makes the most sense then to be moving out, and getting a high end RHD in return.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I think the Kings consider him a top prospect, I don't know if we have what they want. I believe they are looking for a top-4 LD and we don't have any of those available, in fact we could use a good one to play 3rd pairing.

 

It'll also be quite risky for us given his injury troubles.

He’s probably not as high on the list as you think. Turcotte and Byfield are ahead of him, and possibly JAD, as well.

 

He’s probably a good buy-low candidate considering his back issues and the Kings’ depth in centermen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

He’s probably not as high on the list as you think. Turcotte and Byfield are ahead of him, and possibly JAD, as well.

 

He’s probably a good buy-low candidate considering his back issues and the Kings’ depth in centermen.

Well Kings probably have the best pool in the league.

 

He'd be maybe, on average, the #2 prospect if you add up every team in the league. He'd be first on our list, for sure.

 

Maybe he does go for less than what I think, but what does that even look like from our perspective? Doubt they do it for like a 2nd pick.

Edited by kanucks25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Gabe Vilardi is a ppg player in the AHL this year. Was a high 1st round pick but had some injuries. The kings have lots of young C's and signed Danault long term this past off season.

 

Vilardi has a decent size frame and is a right shot C, wonder what it would cost to acquire him? Would fit an area of need in the Canucks organization in my opinion!

 

Discuss and flame away as usual cdc...

Trading in our own division is always a tough thing. No one wants to see a traded player coming back to haunt you but:

JT Miller for Vilardi, Clarke, and their 2022 1st?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

He’s probably not as high on the list as you think. Turcotte and Byfield are ahead of him, and possibly JAD, as well.

 

He’s probably a good buy-low candidate considering his back issues and the Kings’ depth in centermen.

If this is in fact true, then sure, I would love to see Vilardi acquired as long as the price isn't insane for the Canucks.  The Canucks are so thin on depth at C that I'm all for acquiring young Cs with promise.

 

Not that Brown and Boeser play a similar game but with Brown a UFA next year, I wonder if the Kings would have interest in Boeser?  They have the cap space to accommodate Boeser's $7.5M cap hit even while giving a raise to a guy like Adrian Kempe who is a RFA next year.

 

A major issue however is that I see the Kings as being in the midst of a rebuild so unless they see the acquisition of someone like Boeser as accelerating the rebuild, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for them (on top of making a deal with a division rival).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Well Kings probably have the best pool in the league.

 

He'd be maybe, on average, the #2 prospect if you add up every team in the league. He'd be first on our list, for sure.

 

Maybe he does go for less than what I think, but what does that even look like from our perspective? Doubt they do it for like a 2nd pick.

I could see them interested in Klimovich and a 3rd or Rathbone and a 2nd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, khay said:

I like the idea but you didn't propose what we give up for him.

 

Vilardi for 5th round pick? Yes please.hes? No way.

 

If we trade Miller to NYR, he would be a good long term replacement helping us build stronger center depth.

 

 

 

It's a discussion not a proposal, he on papers seems like a player we could use. Could be part of the return for someone like Boeser or Miller dare I say...and now I get flamed for saying that!

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I like the target because with his size he could still potentially carve out a bottom 6 Center job. Does LA have any desire for a Motte type player for the playoffs? Maybe a Motte for Vilardi?

Why would we just give Motte away like that?  Vilardi is not an NHL player, and Motte is.  No, we will get a couple seconds for the Clamato Man.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

It's a discussion not a proposal, he on papers seems like a player we could use. Could be part of the return for someone like Boeser or Miller dare I say...and now I get flamed for saying that!

 

Yeah I like Vilardi. Liked him in 2017 draft as a big heavy center. But if we are trading Miller, I want to send him far away from Western conference, let alone Pacific division.

 

I would consider moving Boeser if the Kings add more to the package like a 1st or a highly touted defence prospect. But I only move Boeser if Miler re-signs.

 

If we trade for Vilardi and he pans out, moving Petey to wing is again an option. I think Petey's scoring rate will increase as a winger.

 

C: Miller-Horvat-Vilardi-Lammikko.

LW: Petey-Pearson-Dickinson-Highmore.

RW: Garland-Podz-Hogz-Motte.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...