The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] January 25, 2022 Edmonton Oilers (19-16-2) @ Vancouver Canucks (18-19-4) at 7:00 SNPTV and SNP650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why so defensive? Not all goalies become good NHL goalies. He's too small, doesn't matter how much they develop him.  Unfortunate for him, good guy and all that.  

I mean he has been bad but to say he is too small for the NHL is a little ridiculous. Saros, Shesterkin, DeSmith, Binnington, Quick, Grubauer, Raanta, Khudobin are all the same height +/- 1". I think if anything we have ruined his development, he should have never been on the taxi squad he should have been playing in Utica.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I mean he has been bad but to say he is too small for the NHL is a little ridiculous. Saros, Shesterkin, DeSmith, Binnington, Quick, Grubauer, Raanta, Khudobin are all the same height +/- 1". I think if anything we have ruined his development, he should have never been on the taxi squad he should have been playing in Utica.

I agree that he should have been in Utica playing as many games and minutes for his development. Watching and practicing with the Canucks did not help him at all. Benning screwed up there. AGAIN. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

He is not that small (at 6').

Yes it is.  Not just because I’m 6’4. 
6’ is small for a goalie. 

And re this:

Athleticism CAN be "taught" (improved) to some degree.  Flexibility work is part of that.

This kid has natural ability and flexibility that some bodies just won’t ever be able to do. 

I, too, am concerned that he makes himself SO small in net...but I think that's a fairly easy fix (once you break his old habits).

Can’t make a small guy bigger.   He can try, but he will never cover the net like a Demko or Marky.  

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Not tonight tho. #97 and #29 are pretty good at their job,well at least the non defense part and if they have one of their games where they're really feeling it that not only hurts the teams playoff hunt but could crush the poor guy.

Hopefully since JT is back and both apparently had no symptoms, Demko will be back as well.

Valid points and how Boudreau, will communicate with him after the loss and demotion to Abby - will be a good, start to mitigate any doubt.  Ultimately, it will come down, to Dipietro and if he still feels confident, that the Canucks, is where he will get his best shot to making the NHL.   

As for his size, Halak is a tad smaller than him and he has had a decent NHL career.  Just like JM, who had a tendency to play small for his size earlier in his career, with the right partnership, with a coach - these technique, issues can be fixed.  Spencer has played lights out in Abby, and should get the opportunity with the Canucks but Dipietro, is still young and regardless, of his performance this year - he should be getting the net to work through, any issues.  But I get it cause the Abby Canucks (being in there inaugural season), was built to win [now], rather than focus on prospect developement.  There are things, he can control but the opportunity to play -  has to be both given & earned.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

There's nothing left to do other than to laugh it off at this point.

Hoping for the same effort level we saw against the Panthers and Blues and I'll be happy regardless of the outcome.

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I had such high hopes for Mikey but he's completely stagnated regressed even from his last season in Utica. Really hope he turns it around but I think Silov or Spencer will be the backup next season.

I think he relies far to much on athleticism while struggling with the fundamentals like tracking the puck and positioning.

That 3rd goal was a good example, it wasn't a hard shot and it wasn't a well placed shot, yet he wasn't able to either figure where his glove needed to be or wasn't quick enough. Either way I've seen a lot of goals like that scored on him, sure he makes some really athletic wow type saves but is beaten far two often on easy saves that should be instinct type saves.  if after 3 years with Ian he's not progressing but regressing that's a big red flag.

Mikey has barely played in 18 months. He'll be fine. Most goalies don't really come into their own until about 24 - 25, he's only 22 right now. People forget when he faced the Sharks, he was only here on emergency call up from the OHL. People also forget that His teammates deflected about 3 of the goals that went in, past him. The whole team had a bad night.

Schneider, Demko and Markstrom, all sucked and struggled heavily in their first games in the NHL. It took all of them time to find a rhythm, and that was with playing almost nightly in the AHL.

Mikey will be fine, just needs to get back into form and get some significant playing time.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Yes it is.  Not just because I’m 6’4. 
6’ is small for a goalie. 

This kid has natural ability and flexibility that some bodies just won’t ever be able to do. 

Can’t make a small guy bigger.   He can try, but he will never cover the net like a Demko or Marky.  

"Bigger in net"

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Demko

Martin

tandem of the future

Thinking Halak might be traded prior to or at the TDL. Doesn't he receive bonuses if he plays two more games?

So far, I believe Halak has zero interest in waiving his NTC. That might change at the deadline if we regress and are out of the playoffs, but if we're not, assume he is here till his contract expires.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1