The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] January 25, 2022 Edmonton Oilers (19-16-2) @ Vancouver Canucks (18-19-4) at 7:00 SNPTV and SNP650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Mikey has barely played in 18 months. He'll be fine. Most goalies don't really come into their own until about 24 - 25, he's only 22 right now. People forget when he faced the Sharks, he was only here on emergency call up from the OHL. People also forget that His teammates deflected about 3 of the goals that went in, past him. The whole team had a bad night.

Schneider, Demko and Markstrom, all sucked and struggled heavily in their first games in the NHL. It took all of them time to find a rhythm, and that was with playing almost nightly in the AHL.

Mikey will be fine, just needs to get back into form and get some significant playing time.

Well said, he needs to play to get better.  Not sure, if Cull is implementing, the same ddevelopemental strategy, that Green so successfully deployed with rookies.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Well said, he needs to play to get better.

Exactly, doesn't mean he hasn't looked great, the first 2 goals the other night, were not his fault. 3rd one, he should have had and he would likely say the same thing.

This kid has way too much natural ability to be written off, but unfortunately, there's a number of fans on this board, who think if someone doesn't play lights out, their first game in the league, they should be considered a bust.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Because I think it's garbage that some are making him out to be a joke and $&!#ting on him for coming in and trying his best in a bad situation. Ain't his fault all the other goaltenders went down or that his development has kind of gone off the track a bit these last couple seasons. 

He's 22 and 6 feet, we've no idea what he'll be. Is it likely he makes it? For most players it ain't likely at all, but let's not pretend to know. 

You tell em Mrs. Dipietro. 

Have heard through the grapevine, that Holland intends to sign a wet bag of cement as the Oiler's next Goalie this summer.

Ken Holland was over heard in a local bar saying...: "You know, watching Mikko play, I'm pretty sure I could get a wet bag of cement and get better results. I mean, it would probably save us a load on cap space as well, I mean, it wouldn't need more than minimum, and we could use it for all the pot holes in Edmonton roads between games...."

I mean, I may be paraphrasing here, but I'm pretty sure the stuff he's said, that this is REALLY what he means...

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Exactly, doesn't mean he hasn't looked great, the first 2 goals the other night, were not his fault. 3rd one, he should have had and he would likely say the same thing.

This kid has way too much natural ability to be written off, but unfortunately, there's a number of fans on this board, who think if someone doesn't play lights out, their first game in the league, they should be considered a bust.

Yeah, just like OJ and others no longer with the team, it starts with the how these prospects were sold to the fans, from the time they are acquired cause when they dont live up to the hype, they are immediately criticized & categorized, as a bust.   We had been spoiled, by Boeser, EP, Hughes and Hogz, as rookies that earned there spot under a rigid coach in Green, from day one.  The other factor, to consider is the coach & his staff, when it comes to opportunities - just look at how Green deployed Podz vs with  Boudreau.   I do wonder, how further along the roster, would be if Benning had hired, different coaches.

We live in a hockey craze city, with a local media that knows how to push buttons with the fans, to maximize $.  Just the environment we live in, and it nothing new and unique to Vancouver.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Let's protest if this ridiculous scenario plays out.

I will bring the pots and pans...meet you where?

(Maybe we can fire up a plane...got one??)

Lol sorry no plane but I'll pitch in for one to fly a banner in protest haha 

I can't even fathom this being considered till the next trade deadline in 2023 and only if he won't re-sign.

How can anyone think getting a 1st and a prospect both that will almost 100% not be as good as JT let alone 4+ years from now is a good idea.

For me this would be worse then any move Benning made in his time here. You and I are pretty easygoing when it comes to these types of things usually trusting our FO to make the right choice. So the fact that we both are vehemently against trading him is proof it's nuts lol.

• Thanks 1

Cheering for Martin tonight. I hope he gets the W. Definitely a feel good story. He’s been great down on the farm too, He deserves his shot. Heck could challenge for back up next year too. I’ve been a huge DiPietro fan but he has not looked good this year. He’s competitive tho and will bounce back, he needs to figure out how to clean up his sight lines. Gets beat by too many screened pucks, you can see him battle to try and find a line of sight but he’s just not getting those lanes closed off quick enough. He used to stand tall and look over the play now I notice he is crouching a lot…you can’t do that as a small goalie in the NHL…or AHL for that matter.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So far, I believe Halak has zero interest in waiving his NTC. That might change at the deadline if we regress and are out of the playoffs, but if we're not, assume he is here till his contract expires.

I don't understand why Halak would not waive his NTC. He could listen to his options and say yes or no. At his age I cannot see him not wanting another crack at playoffs.