The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Patrik Allvin as GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Patrik Allvin as GM  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not hitting on any later rd picks is still horrific. That's where your scouting is really supposed to come into play.

That’s also where you’re supposed to get your European gems which he was in charge of finding.

Id promote Gradin to GM before him if it was based on scouting alone.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Out of 4 drafts and 19 choices by Alvin as head of amateur drafting, one has played in the NHL:

53OA18 Calen Addison 

12GP 2G 1A 3Pts

Conversely in the last 4 years, the Canucks have produced:

10OA19 Podkolzin

39GP 7G 3A 10Pts

40OA19 Höglander

97GP 21G 21A 52Pts

7OA18 Hughes

169GP 13G 116A 129Pts

Edited by Me_
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s also where you’re supposed to get your European gems which he was in charge of finding.

Id promote Gradin to GM before him if it was based on scouting alone.

I mean... to be fair, being a bad scout doesn't necessarily mean the guys going to be a bad GM. We've kind of seen the opposite of that first hand; Benning seems to have a pretty good eye for talent but never realllllly got the ball rolling as a GM (although in my opinion he was getting better lol). 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Nooks said:

Pretty horrific draft history in Pitts. Like REALLY bad :sadno:  hopefully he can find us a few gems like Jimbo did.

Like back to back cups bad? Drafting means nothing if you cant get the rest of the job done right. Just look at our last regime.

I'm stoked, we were horrible, the only way is up!

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Nothing really stands out with Allvin except the fact that he's Swedish. Draft record is meh. 

lol @ everyone who's excited solely due to the fact that he's a GM of Swedish ethnicity. 

TBH, I was more excited for Benning before we actually hired him years ago because of his drafting accolades.

Allvin's a dark-horse for sure. For all who are disappointed that Darche wasn't hired, maybe he declined the final offers the Canucks made.

Best of luck to Allvin!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Like back to back cups bad? Drafting means nothing if you cant get the rest of the job done right. Just look at our last regime.

I'm stoked, we were horrible, the only way is up!

lol unfortunately our team doesn't have the Crosby and Malkin needed for those back to back cups.

Completely different teams.

• Cheers 4

16 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Out of 4 drafts and 19 choices by Alvin as head of amateur drafting, one has played in the NHL:

53OA18 Calen Addison 

12GP 2G 1A 3Pts

Conversely in the last 4 years, the Canucks have produced:

10OA19 Podkolzin

39GP 7G 3A 10Pts

40OA19 Höglander

97GP 21G 21A 52Pts

7OA18 Hughes

169GP 13G 116A 129Pts

Blomqvist looks like a pretty good goalie prospect FWIW.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not hitting on any later rd picks is still horrific. That's where your scouting is really supposed to come into play.

I find that our scouting department is middle of the pack in the league. I have no data to back that up. Just a gut feeling. 

But we have in the past unearthed some pretty good gems - Bieksa comes to mind, Edler as well (3rd round, if not mistaken). Hansen (9th round?), Tanev wasn’t even drafted, and we signed him. 

Guerin wanted to bring Allvin with him to Minnesota and JR didn’t allow him. If both these guys viewed him so highly then I’m sure we made a good decision. 
Can only go off his body of work from here on out as far as I’m concerned. Welcome to Vancouver.