The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Patrik Allvin as GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Patrik Allvin as GM  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

31 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Nothing really stands out with Allvin except the fact that he's Swedish. Draft record is meh. 

lol @ everyone who's excited solely due to the fact that he's a GM of Swedish ethnicity. 

TBH, I was more excited for Benning before we actually hired him years ago because of his drafting accolades.

Allvin's a dark-horse for sure. For all who are disappointed that Darche wasn't hired, maybe he declined the final offers the Canucks made.

Best of luck to Allvin!

Yeah, I wonder what happened there with Darche. I was hoping he’s the guy the Canucks would hire. Would have been a massive move by JR. 

Instead of we get Allvin. He’s okay, I guess. Can’t really judge because he hasn’t started yet. 

4 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Was he in charge of drafting at Pittsburgh?

The drafting under Benning was one of the best in the history of the team, was it not? And that’s saying something because it has never been very good through the history of the franchise.

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

The drafting under Benning was one of the best in the history of the team, was it not? And that’s saying something because it has never been very good through the history of the franchise.

Tough to compare though, Pittsburgh traded most of their first round picks and the picks they had were close to end of the second round. Benning has the same results so far it seems. Most are still prospects and have a slight hope of NHL time.

53 minutes ago, aGENT said:

All of you fretting about the drafting record...

You do realize that GM'S do about one or two more things outside of drafting, right? (Never mind that he didn't exactly have top 10 picks to play with.)

He'll have a scouting department. Hell, he may even have an AGM more directly in charge of said department than he is.

Same with the fretting about him being from Pittsburgh. Oh no! Rutherford hired a qualified, experienced, cup winning executive that he knows he has a good working relationship with! The horrors! :frantic:

This place sometimes :lol:

Yes, he can hire Benning to run the scouting department.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

surprised McFarland and the Carolina guy were not mentioned much/interviewed

MacFarland was mentioned. Maybe he didn’t have much interest leaving or didn’t interview well.

Doesnt sound like Tulsky has any desire to leave Carolina.

55 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

surprised McFarland and the Carolina guy were not mentioned much/interviewed

Surprised that Darche wasn't named GM, to be honest. 

Considering when asked about the Vancouver GM position he said "No comment" and then Tampa Bay had an opening for a AGM position. 

I wonder what happened there. Because I feel like Darche was probably the best candidate, even among Allvin.

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

Tough to compare though, Pittsburgh traded most of their first round picks and the picks they had were close to end of the second round. Benning has the same results so far it seems. Most are still prospects and have a slight hope of NHL time.

I understand with Pitts it was different. Mandate was probably win at all cost, especially when you have Crosby and Malkin as your two top centres. Surround those two with depth and attempt to win as many championships as much as possible. Is that not what Canucks would be screaming for if we had those two in blue and green? 

Vancouver is different. We do not have any generational players like that. So I'd like to see what Allvin will do before judgment be given out. 

I'm disappointed that we didn't land Darche, though. GM who is young, who comes from a championship pedigree team. 

• Cheers 1

I for one am glad the hiring is finished so they can start planning for the foreseeable future. Nobody should be negative about this hiring since he hasn't been given a chance yet. The fact that he was able to move up so much in his career means he must have a good head for the game. One of my theories for him being hired is that maybe in Pittsburgh they also have a management by committee style so he would not feel the need to call of the shots. Maybe some of the other candidates wanted more control than Rutherford wanted to give.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Nooks said:

Pretty horrific draft history in Pitts. Like REALLY bad :sadno:  hopefully he can find us a few gems like Jimbo did.

Penguins have drafted once in the top-50 once in the last 5 years. The one was Poulin at #21, who is a pretty good prospect.

And they've only had 19 picks total in the last 4 years (with Allvin in charge), and 7 of those were in the 6th or 7th round. (For comparisons sake, none of Benning's 6th or 7th round picks ever played a single NHL game.) Despite those challenges, Penguins still found some decent prospects (Addison, Blomqvist, Svechkovsky, etc.). 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2