The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Patrik Allvin as GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Patrik Allvin as GM  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hope I'm wrong but seems like JR wants a group that will do what he says without question.  A bunch of rookies and people who have worked under him before doesn’t seem like the best way to get differing opinions to me, but I guess we'll see.

3 minutes ago, thrago said:

Hope I'm wrong but seems like JR wants a group that will do what he says without question.  A bunch of rookies and people who have worked under him before doesn’t seem like the best way to get differing opinions to me, but I guess we'll see.

You might not be wrong. 

But he wanted a GM where he could mentor and shape. So you have to be somewhat of a yes person, and a person willing to listen and observe, before it's Allvin's full time gig. Because JR isn't going to be around forever. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

His drafting record is fair game.

All it means is we’re gonna need to hire someone who has a strong scouting record.

He could very well be a strong manager. But scouting clearly wasn’t his strong suit. The evidence is there.

Scouting is a team work.

Do you really think Allvin is a brute forcing his will over all the other scouts? 

It’s the same as the talk about Benning being a great scout… He just was the last guy on a long line of scouts before him.

Just now, Timråfan said:

Scouting is a team work.

Do you really think Allvin is a brute forcing his will over all the other scouts? 

It’s the same as the talk about Benning being a great scout… He just was the last guy on a long line of scouts before him.

He was head of European scouting.

Needless to say he would have had strong input on those picks.

He has a long track record of picking duds as both European scout and director of amateur scouting. There’s zero evidence to show that he was strong in that role.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

He has a long track record of picking duds as both European scout and director of amateur scouting. There’s zero evidence to show that he was strong in that role.

No public evidence.  Teams typically have a draft board of about 40 players - they don't rank all prospects just the ones they are looking to pick.  It's well possible that by the time the Pittsburgh pick came along the ones they had higher on their lists were already gone.  They likely have an internal procedure to review their draft lists regularly to help improve their process.  Need to know if they keyed on the right players and where they pegged them even if they ended up on other teams.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well if that’s true, then we’re just going back to pre-Benning era. 

Back to normal. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Why is that? 

Cause he constructed the team that went on a win streak and drafted well.
That being said, I understand why he was fired. I'm mainly just saying that cause I'm underwhelmed by this hiring. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, mll said:

No public evidence.  Teams typically have a draft board of about 40 players - they don't rank all prospects just the ones they are looking to pick.  It's well possible that by the time the Pittsburgh pick came along the ones they had higher on their lists were already gone.  They likely have an internal procedure to review their draft lists regularly to help improve their process.  Need to know if they keyed on the right players and where they pegged them even if they ended up on other teams.  

I mean, how good is Pittsburgh’s scouting department? 

Doesn’t strike me as strong as Tampa Bay’s. 

Just now, Nave said:

Cause he constructed the team that went on a win streak and drafted well.
That being said, I understand why he was fired. I'm mainly just saying that cause I'm underwhelmed by this hiring. 

Allvin hasn’t even started yet, and we’re throwing him under the bus? 

Give the man a chance to prove himself first, before making any sort of judgments. 

I preferred that we hired Darche, but it is what it is at this point. 

Let’s get behind our executive team, and our team as a whole. 

If Allvin doesn’t do the job, he’ll probably also be let go. 

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, how good is Pittsburgh’s scouting department? 

Doesn’t strike me as strong as Tampa Bay’s. 

Yeah pretty underwhelming draft record for the last 10 years they’ve only found key pieces in Kapanen a 1rst round pick, Jary 2nd round pick, Guentzal 3rd round pick (only great pick if I’m being honest) and Matt Murray 3rd round pick. Can we tell Judd Brackett we’re sorry and that he can come back and make all the picks.

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yeah pretty underwhelming draft record for the last 10 years they’ve only found key pieces in Kapanen a 1rst round pick, Jary 2nd round pick, Guentzal 3rd round pick (only great pick if I’m being honest) and Matt Murray 3rd round pick. Can we tell Judd Brackett we’re sorry and that he can come back and make all the picks.

Maybe JR’s plan is to suck, and tank, so we get two generational players like he did in Pitts that landed them Crosby and Malkin. 

Then we’re set. 

I’m joking. 

Edited by N4ZZY
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

He's going to be the GM not the head scout. I know that with Benning us fans got kind of used to him being both. The head scouts will make the recommendations based on the criteria of the attributes the new management wants on their picks. Rutherford wants people who are willing to listen and learn because he's not going to be here long-term. There's a reason why there will be way more AGMs, that way the duties will be much more spread out and have more opinions.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

All of you fretting about the drafting record...

You do realize that GM'S do about one or two more things outside of drafting, right? (Never mind that he didn't exactly have top 10 picks to play with.)

He'll have a scouting department. Hell, he may even have an AGM more directly in charge of said department than he is.

Same with the fretting about him being from Pittsburgh. Oh no! Rutherford hired a qualified, experienced, cup winning executive that he knows he has a good working relationship with! The horrors! :frantic:

This place sometimes :lol:

Well said. I was reading through this forum hoping to get a bit more insight on our new GM and I found myself slipping into a dark depression lol. Seriously building a front office experienced cup winners doesn’t sound all that bad to me either. 

4 hours ago, combover said:

Beats a wife beater. 

From everything JR has said the team will be run by committee.

now we can get to fixing this team.  

Yeah, would have been a terrible look if Sean Burke got the GM job days after the Canucks hire the first female AGM since the 90's. So glad he's not gonna be part of this team right now.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007475.html

Pitt drafting 1999-2016 actually looks pretty good guys, many many long nil careers- matt moulson, biz nasty, Eric Christiansen, brooks orpik ( a key guy in their cup run), didn't know Letang was a 3rd rounder lol, rust, guetnzel, max Talbot - another key guy for them, Danny Carrillo, Olli Mattaa was a great pick until he got hurt, Tyler Kennedy, Alex goglioski- this actually may be one of the best drafting franchises over than 17 year span, not to mention Fleury, Sid, Gino and Staal lol!!!!