The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Thursday, January 27, 2022 Vancouver Canucks (18-19-5) @ Winnipeg Jets (17-15-7) at 5:00 on SNPTV and SNP650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

13 minutes ago, x00x said:

who cares? are u a experienced coach? no , let bruce do his job, if he doesnt want those 2 on the ice, than so be it, he is one of the best regular season coaches for a reason

we winning 5-1 and of coarse someone has to cry cause one of there favorite players isnt on the ice lol

Lol it was a simple question as Shorthouse and Garrett pointed out they hadnt seen much time at the end of games. Relax bud. 

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I really think this is the wrong take. Unless the return is too good to be true. I fear the return will be 3-4 spare parts. 

Not a chance. It will be too good to be true. Contending teams need a player like Miller. I am just happy we have competent management that will get as much as they can for him if they decide to go that route.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's all about winning.  That's why you play the games.  Unless you want to be Ottawa or Buffalo or even Edmonton.

Trading your best player is not always a recipe for success.

Not always, but in this case there are valid arguments for doing just that 

We won tonight but so did LA and Anaheim, and Edmonton is tied after two

Winning is fun, I like seeing the guys score and win, but we're still a long shot 

We've been told there could be big changes, we'll see how that plays out 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not always, but in this case there are valid arguments for doing just that 

We won tonight but so did LA and Anaheim, and Edmonton is tied after two

Winning is fun, I like seeing the guys score and win, but we're still a long shot 

We've been told there could be big changes, we'll see how that plays out 

This is true.  There are also valid arguments to keeping Miller.  Both arguments have weight and validity.  After tonight I see Miller as a top 10 forward in the league.  JR has a tough decision to make, but I am perfectly fine with keeping Miller long term...

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's all about winning.  That's why you play the games.  Unless you want to be Ottawa or Buffalo or even Edmonton.

Trading your best player is not always a recipe for success.

No, Its all about asset management. You don't wanna become the Flames who were medicore for life.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is true.  There are also valid arguments to keeping Miller.  Both arguments have weight and validity.  After tonight I see Miller as a top 10 forward in the league.  JR has a tough decision to make, but I am perfectly fine with keeping Miller long term...

I'll admittedly be disappointed if we do, because it doesn't line up with my idea of how this team will be competitive long term. But if it turns out we extend him I'll root for him, because we'll be tied to him at that point and he'd better damn well produce. 

But yeah, tough decisions, and arguments both ways for sure. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

I'll admittedly be disappointed if we do, because it doesn't line up with my idea of how this team will be competitive long term. But if it turns out we extend him I'll root for him, because we'll be tied to him at that point and he'd better damn well produce. 

He is doing it as we speak, much much better than anyone else on the team...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

He is doing it as we speak, much much better than anyone else on the team...

He is, but current Miller isn't the Miller that concerns me. I've never once argued that Miller as he is isn't a fantastic player, he is, which is why he's so valuable. It's the Miller we've got at 30+ with his massive retirement caliber contract that makes me leery. With more lucrative contracts come larger expectations, and if his production falls off people will turn on him. 

are you then by the same token in full belief that Boeser, Pettersson,Hoglander

Podkolzin Horvat are 5 of this teams top 6 going forward?

He is, but current Miller isn't the Miller that concerns me. I've never once argued that Miller as he is isn't a fantastic player, he is, which is why he's so valuable. It's the Miller we've got at 30+ with his massive retirement caliber contract that makes me leery. With more lucrative contracts come larger expectations, and if his production falls off people will turn on him. 

That could happen to any player.  Even yours truly...  -_-

You don't have to be 30+ to have your play fall off a cliff...

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Loui The King Er1ksson 

Edited by DontMessMe

Just now, hammertime said:

are you then by the same token in full belief that Boeser, Pettersson,Hoglander

Podkolzin Horvat are 5 of this teams top 6 going forward?

I'm not convinced by Boeser tbh, he's in a weird limbo right now. His production up until this season lead many of us to believe he'd be worth paying big bucks to, but his struggles this season have planted seeds of doubt. As a pending RFA with a large qualifying offer it's hard to say what happens with him. Does he accept a small dollar amount for security? Does he chase the money? Can he be worth 7.5M+? I don't know. There's also no question that his season has probably impacted his trade value, if you move him you're probably selling low. I think he could be an important piece going forward, but he'll need to keep scoring goals to make people more confident in him again. 

Pettersson just turned 23 in November, he's been close to point per game almost every season up til now, and he's showing signs of life recently. I'm confident he'll return to form, he's young enough that these kind of struggles aren't all that uncommon. Sometimes we forget how young he still is because of what he's accomplished. Horvat? Yeah, I'm confident in him. Hoggy and Podz? Yeah, I think they've got lots of potential. Hoglander's a second year player finding his way, not uncommon for sophomores to struggle. Podz has had a fine rookie season, more in line with what you'd typically get from a rookie than the standout seasons we've seen from rookies in recent years. 

Also, there's no reason we couldn't add pieces to our top six. A Miller trade wouldn't be the only move between now and next season. Plus, if he's moved we'd get pieces in return, who and what we'd get is anyone's guess though. 

I think Bo and Pettersson could be a fine 1/2 combo though. The reality is almost no team has three top six centers down the middle. The key would be bolstering the roster as a whole, which is likely the goal anyway by the sounds of it. This team's strengths are goaltending and it's top six, makes sense that any significant improvements would involve us moving a top six guy or two out. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That could happen to any player.  Even yours truly...  -_-

You don't have to be 30+ to have your play fall off a cliff...

You don't, but there's no denying that signing a player entering his 30's to big cap and term is a gamble. You pay for past performances and try to project what you'll get going forward. Some players produce at high levels into their 30's, but a lot of players also decline. Every player has a peak, decline is inevitable, it's just a matter of when you think it'll happen and whether the potential return is worth the gamble. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

You don't, but there's no denying that signing a player entering his 30's to big cap and term is a gamble. You pay for past performances and try to project what you'll get going forward. Some players produce at high levels into their 30's, but a lot of players also decline. Every player has a peak, decline is inevitable, it's just a matter of when you think it'll happen and whether the potential return is worth the gamble. 

Nobody had an issue signing the twins into their 30's.  You can make an argument that Miller is just as valuable to this team as the Sedins were to their team...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nobody had an issue signing the twins into their 30's.  You can make an argument that Miller is just as valuable to this team as the Sedins were to their team...

I'd argue the twins are a poor comparison though. For one, what they meant to this franchise is on a completely different level that JT likely never touches. The roster was different when they signed, the team was legitimately a playoff squad and the twins weren't significantly older than the rest of the core. Miller's the best player on a fringe playoff team right now. Could they be more next season? Sure, but I'd still have them pegged as maybe a playoff team at best, not a contender. 

We drafted the twins 2 and 3, Henrik or Daniel were the likely heirs apparent to the captaincy, they were never going to go anywhere that didn't allow them to sign together. The Canucks situation with the Sedin's was incredibly unique from the day they were drafted.