The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Thursday, January 27, 2022 Vancouver Canucks (18-19-5) @ Winnipeg Jets (17-15-7) at 5:00 on SNPTV and SNP650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You can’t have your blueline being paid the second most in the nhl, be at the bottom of the standings, and it not provide any offense at that.  Our blue line is being paid 30 million. When Pittsburgh won their cups they only paid their blue line 18 million. It allowed them to put money into other areas. We can’t do that. Our goal should not be to just make the playoffs every year. It’s obvious where the problems lie and spending this much money on a subpar defense is getting the team nowhere.

While some scoring from them besides Quinn would be nice, given all the injuries and missed games from covid the fact that we are #1 in GA 5on5 and 12th overall including the 32nd pk I don't think the D has been the issue.

The issue has been the fact our forwards are bottom 10 in scoring 5on5. Jt is the only guy close to a ppg and not one guy has 15 goals at the halfway mark. That's the problem but I do think they will turn that around without any trades. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I didn’t say we should only get prospects and draft picks either and I never said it is the way to building a Stanley cup winning team. Lol. I said that it was something that we need more of. Our depth is so bare and we aren’t fast at all. What players do you expect to  get from other teams rosters that are faster and at a good age? The reason I brought up the defense was that most of the money is being spent on it and not in a good way. Either way the money being spent there is hindering the progress that can be made. We do need more picks and prospects.

This your quote copied from your profile

Making the playoffs really doesn’t matter at this point. This team needs to be restructured. I know this is hard for fans to hear but trades have to be made to make the club better in the long term. Getting rid of money and getting faster with picks and prospects should be the long term goal. If they win great but I am not even worried about playoffs anymore. It’s so far off, you have to get rid of players that change the look of the team.

so what exactly did you mean?

• Vintage 1

REFEREES

Gord Dwyer #19
GD19.jpg
Mitch Dunning #43
MD43.jpg
Games ’21-22 31 30
Games ’20-21 (Reg/PO) 49 / 17 21 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1087 / 89 70 / 0
First NHL Game 11/19/05 3/28/19
Birthplace Sackville, NS Tecumseh, ON

LINESMEN

Devin Berg #87
DB87.jpg
Trent Knorr #74
2021_TK74.jpg
Games ’21-22 39 34
Games ’20-21 (Reg/PO) 38 / 9 49 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 413 / 40 511 / 20
First NHL Game 10/15/15 11/13/13
Birthplace Kitchener, ON Powell River, BC
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

This your quote copied from your profile

Making the playoffs really doesn’t matter at this point. This team needs to be restructured. I know this is hard for fans to hear but trades have to be made to make the club better in the long term. Getting rid of money and getting faster with picks and prospects should be the long term goal. If they win great but I am not even worried about playoffs anymore. It’s so far off, you have to get rid of players that change the look of the team.

so what exactly did you mean?

We should be getting rid of money and getting younger and faster. It should be a priority. I don’t think in that quote I said we should only do that in the draft. I didn’t say it is the only thing they can do. Lol. The cupboards are bare. We don’t have much in the system. The depth needs to be improved. We can also do that through college free agents and by looking at European players. I never said it was the only way. Your the one who talked about how we can’t just do everything through the draft. I didn’t say that. It’s needs to be a combination. We can’t cut corners is what I am saying. You have to do it the right way.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

If you watched the Spoilers game you must have seen the speed and precision of that move he made in ot, didn’t score but nice moves. He also made some nice plays earlier too. Here’s  the extended game link https://www.nhl.com/video/edm--van/t-277350912/c-10357726

Every player has his ups and downs, you don’t trade them when they’re down and you don’t think of it when they are up.  As Deb said, it will come. Thankfully management is not as reactionary as us fans.

I said absolutely nothing about trading him though... I just said that, IMO, Bruce's comments are clearly saying that Brock needs to put more effort in. NOT that he can just continue doing what he has been doing, and the goals will come. 

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

We should be getting rid of money and getting younger and faster. It be prioritized.  I don’t think in that quite I didn’t say it is the only thing they can do. Lol. The cupboards are bare. We don’t have much in the system. The depth needs to be improved. We can also do that through college free agents and by looking at European players. I never said it was the only way. Your the one who talked about how we can’t just do everything through the draft. I didn’t say that. It’s needs to be a combination. We can’t cut corners is what I am saying. You have to do it the right way.

Thanks for explaining, I get what you mean. But I don’t think it requires trading away the vets/money we have now. Miller, Bo, Pete and Boeser are all very good players, and the latter 2 are too young to give up on. Yes to drafting well and making good UFA signings (especially on D) but I say keep this core. You trade away the “player no name”’s. We got OEL and Garland that way, now that is team building and adding to the core.

4 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Thanks for explaining, I get what you mean. But I don’t think it requires trading away the vets/money we have now. Miller, Bo, Pete and Boeser are all very good players, and the latter 2 are too young to give up on. Yes to drafting well and making good UFA signings (especially on D) but I say keep this core. You trade away the “player no name”’s. We got OEL and Garland that way, now that is team building and adding to the core.

Well I think if Miller is looking at the team and realizing we aren’t close he will likely walk. You can’t have him walk for nothing. We have seen the consequences of that. I just think to keep the players we have and not change things has shown to not have worked. We don’t have a lot of ways to improve the team so players on the roster have to be dealt to free up that money. It’s a real problem that Benning left behind.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

6 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

I said absolutely nothing about trading him though... I just said that, IMO, Bruce's comments are clearly saying that Brock needs to put more effort in. NOT that he can just continue doing what he has been doing, and the goals will come. 

Thanks, I know you didn’t. It was more a comment on his play improving lately and all the talk of him being traded. And I agree with your statement.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well I think if Miller is looking at the team and realizing we aren’t close he will likely walk. You can’t have him walk for nothing. We have seen the consequences of that. I just think to keep the players we have and not change things has shown to not have worked. We don’t have a lot of ways to improve the team so players on the roster have to be dealt to free up that money. It’s a real problem that Benning left behind.

I understand your thinking on this issue, but we have no idea what Miller is thinking. Look at their record under BB, maybe he’s thinking this has potential? Who knows?
He’s under contract for another year, I’m sure management will know which way to go come TD of 2023.