The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What will happen now in the new era?

Rate this topic

alucard

Now that new regime is installed and is in the work,

What you think the new vision for the team will be?

Both short-term and long-term,

what are their solutions?

What do you think is the solution?

what do you wish they should do?

what is going to be the character of the team?

do you think we are going to "draft and develop"?

are we going to trade our picks for immediate returns?

what kind of a system canucks will play? pure offensive hockey? heavy? etc.

Are you optimistic or pessimistic? and why?

54 minutes ago, alucard said:

Now that new regime is installed and is in the work,

What you think the new vision for the team will be?

Both short-term and long-term,

what are their solutions?

What do you think is the solution?

what do you wish they should do?

what is going to be the character of the team?

do you think we are going to "draft and develop"?

are we going to trade our picks for immediate returns?

what kind of a system canucks will play? pure offensive hockey? heavy? etc.

Are you optimistic or pessimistic? and why?

They are/will evaluate everything, so that will take time

I think right now, they would say playoffs next year, win a round or more the year after, and cup contender the following one to two years would be a fairly aggresive, but achievable timeframe.

They have the starting goalie nailed down - that is a huge plus in the process. 

I do think it will be a hybrid plan - they won't want to wait for a full "draft and develop" plan, so they will make some trades for more "immediate" returns, but not in a "fire sale / we must do something now" mindset - they will be hockey trades 

I am more optimistic about this team now than I have been in a decade. They have a long way to go....but I have hope in the new regime. I think this group has less "attachment" to Vancouver players etc, and will make some tough decisions that the previous GM would not have made.

Excited for the future, for real this time.  Having Green and Benning before, there was hope, but who was I kidding? Green was a new NHL coach who lost the room, Benning was a new GM who let the wrong guys walk. Whatever culture they had, he extinguished.

Boudreau, Walker, Shaw and Clark - the Canucks finally have some quality NHL coaches teaching these young guys.

Rutherford, Smyl, Allvin, Clancey and Castonguay assessing what the team needs and going out and doing it. I feel more confident in JR getting good deals done, more so than Benning. Benning made some mistakes, as a new GM without a President. I also think there were some GMs that refused to make deals with him. I don't see JR having that problem. Respect.

The Sedins will play a bigger role, and will work seamlessly with Allvin and the A/GMs. 

The team feels healthier to me. They finally have a big boss again (JR), with his hand-picked GM ad A/GMs.  They all have the same goal.

What was Benning's goal? Make the playoffs?  Low bar. JR wants a Canucks Cup ring, and I believe they'll get the team there. 

• Upvote 1

I feel with this new regime, our only untouchables are EP, QH, Demko, Garland.  I expect there will be a ton of movement over the next couple weeks.

Trades:

-Halak

-One of Miller, Boeser, Horvat

-Motte  (could see him coming back as UFA)

-Pearson

-Hunt

-Ghost of Hamonic

-I bet they buy out Dickinson this offseason.

- I think they look to Move Myers this offseason with some retention.

The new Mantra will be Bigger, Stronger, faster, Younger

Buckle up, I think it's going to be a wild ride, that produces a completely different roster next year.

• Cheers 1

Accountability - no more pathetic excuses 

sustainability - real Cap management and draft/develop

winning -  no longer is the last wild card spot the goal.

unfortunately due to the horrendous cap management and shortsightedness some good players  will have to be moved in what will be a real retool. 
Built around young superstars 

• Cheers 1

I am really looking forward to seeing the direction.

Say what you will about JB but I didn't like him because we (jokingly) were never on the same page.

I like seeing assets sold on the high and building through the draft.

I also like building from the goal out. While Demko is a fantastic addition I think the blue line is a disaster.

Lastly I like size and toughness and this team lacks that as well.

Edited by Chris12345

Rutherford has stated he wants a fast, skilled team (who doesn’t) Funny, that’s what Benning said too.

if history tells us something, it’s to look at the Carolina team that won the cup vs the Penguins. Having Crosby on a team is a good way to start building a team. Carolina was built with no superstar (ala Crosby), rolling 4 lines, a great work ethic and pure will.

The good thing is Rutherford and his new management team already have some good pieces to build on. 

I expect the minimal activity during the season, unless a deal you can’t refuse is offered (like a first for Motte, not gonna happen, but for example).

Give the new management team sometime to effectively evaluate this team. Do it properly. I’d hate for Brock to traded just because he’s on low right now just to catch fire with another team.

Go Canucks!

• Cheers 2