The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What will happen now in the new era?

Rate this topic

alucard

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Want to see our team play a heavier game and trade a couple of pieces to retool through the draft.  Build from the net out.

luckily we're nicely set with Demko and Hughes. OEL is playing well. 

I think we'll see a 1 to 2 year re-jig. One year if we can shed some of the older less efficient contracts, and hit a home run with a Miller deal. 

E.g., lets say NYR lose their minds and give us Laffy and a RHD prospect for Miller. That sure goes a long way to a fast rebuild. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think we'll see a 1 to 2 year re-jig. One year if we can shed some of the older less efficient contracts, and hit a home run with a Miller deal. 

E.g., lets say NYR lose their minds and give us Laffy and a RHD prospect for Miller. That sure goes a long way to a fast rebuild. 

That's by far my preferred strategy as well.  That also clears up some cap space for another RHD once all the dead cap is gone.

• Vintage 1

I just wish this strategy of hiring competent experienced, Cup winning management, starting at the top, who are not afraid of other voices with other opinions, and building a properly staffed management team to go in hand with the on-ice team, was implemented right after Gillis.  And we had a Gorton or similar, who like he did in NY, issue a letter to fans about having to make some unpopular decisions on favorite players. (Look at the Rangers now)

(edited out for redundancy)

JB's re-up was a huge mistake and I said so here.  I'm actually quite impressed with the Aquilinis humbleness and awareness now of how much they need to bring in the experts, and acceptance that their arm chair GMing days are over. Their puppet is gone. Better late than never.  It was fun for awhile I imagine, a real estate executive, long time fan, actually being able to set the game plan each season for his very own NHL team!  Not that I blame Francesco. Who wouldn't want to try that once in their life?  But that's over hopefully, and I'm stoked about the future for this team and all those questions answered by JR. 

294845093-JR_Ewing.jpg

Edited by kilgore
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No matter what moves he does. There are going to be those that criticize every move or moves he doesn't do. 

It's sad it's pretty much a no win scenario. 

There is a win scenario: win the cup.

Whoever complains about the moves after we win the cup, they ain't Canucks fans. We will know who they are when it happens.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I think anyone over 25 is up for possible trade. 
JR gave a hint there, needs to clear cap room and get young assets. 
I think we most likely will see JT Miller go, just seems that a good young prospect, a first and another piece would be too much to say no to.

He will establish if there is a market for OEL, Hamonic, Poolman or Myers.

The rest of the potential moves like Motte don’t really move the needle too much but may see Motte/Halak or some of the lesser vets moved. 
Team has a starting goalie, QH and a struggling EP and Podkolzin.  Past those four I think JR will be open to discussions. 
Who knows what will actually get done, probably not even JR and PA know at this point. 
‘Exciting times ahead and probably another step back before hopefully a big leap ahead. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Darth Canuck said:

Rutherford has stated he wants a fast, skilled team (who doesn’t) Funny, that’s what Benning said too.

if history tells us something, it’s to look at the Carolina team that won the cup vs the Penguins. Having Crosby on a team is a good way to start building a team. Carolina was built with no superstar (ala Crosby), rolling 4 lines, a great work ethic and pure will.

The good thing is Rutherford and his new management team already have some good pieces to build on. 

I expect the minimal activity during the season, unless a deal you can’t refuse is offered (like a first for Motte, not gonna happen, but for example).

Give the new management team sometime to effectively evaluate this team. Do it properly. I’d hate for Brock to traded just because he’s on low right now just to catch fire with another team.

Go Canucks!

CAR had 100 point Eric Staal and Ward, both back then were pretty amazing players but i do get what your getting at.    PENs had a plethora of young studs - like CHI, and even LA....what do we have?   Not very  close to what CAR had (they were a very good team, two finals one cup, proved it was no fluke - and a 112 point season ) ... and they had issues even making it to the playoffs when they were a good team at times.

On Brock/Miller whomever.   Hard not to love these guys, even with Green the effort seemed to be there...cap is just that, we can't pay them more and expect more return, that's what we'd be doing with most of these guys at this point...they are closing in on their primes ....   but aside from Miller nobody has really taken a big step.   Demko and Hughes i suppose, but they are also been paid at least on par for their production too...  

Edited by IBatch

What I would really like to see is more scouting in the CHL and even the BCHL.

The Giants are down the road so there should be no excuse for there not to be 1-2 scouts there every home game.

There's a lot of teams in the GVRD that are in the BCHL, and you can hop a ferry and go to Victoria and watch the Royals.

More scouting in the OHL and QMJHL.

We need to find not only players in our backyard. But late round gems.

Continue to look for great players from Europe too.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What I would really like to see is more scouting in the CHL and even the BCHL.

The Giants are down the road so there should be no excuse for there not to be 1-2 scouts there every home game.

There's a lot of teams in the GVRD that are in the BCHL, and you can hop a ferry and go to Victoria and watch the Royals.

More scouting in the OHL and QMJHL.

We need to find not only players in our backyard. But late round gems.

Continue to look for great players from Europe too.

Matthew Wood of the Grizzlies would be a nice later round pick.  Good size and hands, plays a heavy game.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, alucard said:

Now that new regime is installed and is in the work,

What you think the new vision for the team will be?

Both short-term and long-term,

what are their solutions?

What do you think is the solution?

what do you wish they should do?

what is going to be the character of the team?

do you think we are going to "draft and develop"?

are we going to trade our picks for immediate returns?

what kind of a system canucks will play? pure offensive hockey? heavy? etc.

Are you optimistic or pessimistic? and why?

except for 94 and 2012, we have been nothing but a cream puff team with no pushback... unless this gets solved it won't ever change, like it or not. Cream puff teams never get a cup, get beaten up in the early rounds and no top tier depth to step in when injuries etc happen. Sound familiar?! 

• Vintage 2

At this point, all we have is what was said, in there pressers - which I agree, with there perceived timeline for the team; but if you look at there record in drafting & development record in Pittsburgh: it was very comparable to Gillis.  I understand, that both JR & Gillis were focus on keeping the window of the current core going, hence, drafting & development became an afterthought. Both Gillis and JR inherited, there rosters and both got trophies but not the draft picks.

Pitsburgh, won with two generational talents acquired, with the top two picks of there respective drafts and these next two drafts - will potentially, have very similar talents on the top.  Will JR & crew, focus on the lottery to acquire top end talents or will they double down with the current core ?  Can they deliver on both ends, given there D & D record in Pitsburgh vs what they did to keep the Crosby core winning ?  It will be very interesting, to see how they will make this work, given some of the contract status & age, with some of the teams current key pieces.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

28 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

except for 94 and 2012, we have been nothing but a cream puff team with no pushback... unless this gets solved it won't ever change, like it or not. Cream puff teams never get a cup, get beaten up in the early rounds and no top tier depth to step in when injuries etc happen. Sound familiar?! 

Gino Odjick played for  8 years as a Canuck

Donald Brasher played 6 

That is already a lot of years the Canucks were not cream puff teams.

Don't let recency bias confuse you; this team and organization has been rough and tough for  many a season..

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, gurn said:

Gino Odjick played for  8 years as a Canuck

Donald Brasher played 6 

That is already a lot of years the Canucks were not cream puff teams.

Don't let recency bias confuse you; this team and organization has been rough and tough for  many a season..

seriously? one player (Odjick or Brash or Ryp)  1 player doesn't make your whole team tougher... it's by committee.. 

Not bias, and do we have a cup and I missed one or something?! The 2 shots we did have, were with decent sized rosters. 

Yet we didn't depth when injuries happened so another no cup reason..  

5 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

It's been reported that the only untouchables for the Canucks are Petey, Hughes and Demko.

Could see many changes in the near future potentially.

Buckle up, it's trader Jim szn.

Let’s see that report.

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

That’s just not happening. Not if the Canucks go for the playoff. With Demko shutting the door, watch that team go far.

This is a more balanced team than the bubble team with Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom.

You just don’t get rid of your best player if you’re going for the playoffs if not this year, next, unless you’re rebuilding.

The Canucks are not rebuilding. They’re evolving.

19 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

seriously? one player (Odjick or Brash or Ryp)  1 player doesn't make your whole team tougher... it's by committee.. 

Not bias, and do we have a cup and I missed one or something?! The 2 shots we did have, were with decent sized rosters. 

Yet we didn't depth when injuries happened so another no cup reason..  

Actually, when you know Odjik or Brashear or Laraque or Probert is on the team you’re playing against, you’re on your toes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Chicken. said:

I'm optimistic because that's just the type of person I am... glass half full 

This is good. That being said, there's always some around here who are in the glass half full category... or worse. 

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No matter what moves he does. There are going to be those that criticize every move or moves he doesn't do. 

It's sad it's pretty much a no win scenario. 

Yup. For some, this would be a glass "half full".

water-being-poured-into-full-glass-pictu

regards,  G.

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

The Canucks were one of the toughest teams to play physically for the entire 1980s.  Tiger, Snepsts, Smyl, Fraser and then right into Coxe, Odjick, Momesso, Hunter, etc.  They were also fairly tough in the 70s and very tough in the 90s.  That started to disappear with the Naslund and Sedin led teams and has stayed that way since, but the creampuff Canucks is a late appearance in their history and actually contrary to everything that came before.

• Upvote 1