The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen officially charged with sexual assault

Rate this topic

HKSR

2 minutes ago, hockeygod77 said:

HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW THIS WOMAN JUST DID THIS FOR MONEY..WAS SHE DRUNK AND THEY HAD FUN IN BED OR DID HE FORCER HER...IF HE RAPED HER HE IS GUILTY..IF THEY HAD WILD RABITT SEX THEN ITS ALL GOOD..I THINK JAKE WAS JUST IMATURE AT TIME AND HE WENT OUT AND WANTED TO GET LAID LIKE ANY OTHER 21 YEAR OLD OR WHATEVER HE WAS...THERE ARE WOMEN WHO JUST LOOK FOR THIS STUFF..

Settle down. Charges wouldn't have been laid if this was the case. It was a loooong process.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

So we had a misogynist, a pedophile and a rapist on our team at one point. Good &^@#ing lord 

Leipsic was out of here in less than half a season. 

No one knew of Boucher’s creep past until this year. 

Virtanen was released immediately after allegations were brought up. 

This is very Gallagher like in revisionist history. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, North Kariya said:

Reid Boucher is somewhere laughing right now..

Yeah, no. Boucher is way worse based on what we officially know. They're both terrible though.

And Boucher might have gotten off without jail but Virtanen hasn't been proven guilty yet.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Yeah, no. Boucher is way worse based on what we officially know. They're both terrible though.

And Boucher might have gotten off without jail but Virtanen hasn't been proven guilty yet.

It sure appears both of these boys should be behind bars.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Never understood why guys like him need to force women to do what they want. i bet the ugliest guy in the league has no problem when it comes to  picking up girls or guys.

Control and power. Enough ego to not take no for an answer. Entitled. If not that, just being a lazy asshole (i.e. wanted sex because she was there and he'd put in the effort).

All the things real men wouldn't do so we don't understand why he just wouldn't be a gentleman.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Jeesh, Alf, what if he is found innocent and no other girls come forward?

Let's just see how it plays out! 

I dunno man. I'm with ya innocent until proven guilty and whatnot however this is the same reason many rapists walk free it's not the type of thing that is provable unequivocally in most cases. His word against hers. He's got the money to lawyer up and get away with it. 

I really hope the truth is found but I doub't it will be. It's unfortunate many people are too scared for various valid reasons to come forward in these situations. I wish that victims were be better protected in these matters. 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Bell said:

This.  I was so confused the Canucks buying him out.  

coz he's not convicted of anything and he wasn't caught in the act like mike richard was at the border. the canucks would have to do their own diligence and investigate and find sufficient evidence before they can even buy him out which could have dragged well into this year and canucks would have pretty much been stuck with his contract/cap for the full duration.

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Imagine we traded him after his 18 goal season…

Could have kept Toffoli and probably had a prospect to show for him.

As much as making the right pick is important, trading guys while they have value is important too. Jimbo should have recognized Virtanen wasn’t a core piece and didn’t have the character needed to be a full time NHLer. His ego definitely got in the way when it came to Virtanen.

Exactly^

But here's the biggest thing.  How did the Canucks management not know the character of this player and chose to re-sign him?

They never heard the rumours?  Hmm....  His teammates knew it.

People knew it.  I sat next to him on a patio and knew it based on his actions and loser friends that he hung around with. None of them were Canucks by the way. Guy acted in no way like a professional hockey player. 

Did Canuck management know something and cover it up?  Not that far fetched. Let's see. These scandals have been out there all over the news in the last couple years more and more about teams covering up sex abuse sandals.  Let's see if JB and co didn't know anything or if they did..

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

If Crown has approved charges it means there is some evidence and likelihood of conviction.  You are mixing up different burdens of proof due to a lack of understanding.

It doesn’t mean he will actually be criminally convicted, that requires proof “beyond a reasonable doubt” and these sorts of cases have a notoriously low conviction rate since defence counsel just needs to find any sliver of doubt…. Even if he “probably” did it, he won’t be convicted.  That is a feature of the criminal Justice system and not a bug.  It is intentionally built to not prove innocence, but to find them criminally not guilty… and the system is designed to let 100 guilty people free rather than send one innocent person go to jail. 

Civil courts only require the burden of proof to be

“On the balance of probabilities” which means that it is just “likely” he did it.  He can be found not guilty criminally and held civilly responsible because the evidence is enough to show he probably did it.  This is probably where this case lands.

People on a forum thinking he is a douchebag doesn’t require a criminal court level burden of proof.  It is silly to even suggest that is the case.  A team cutting him is allowed to do that based on whatever level of proof they are comfortable with, that can even be really low.

For me, the criminal complaint along with many anecdotal accounts of him being a dumbass make me not want to have him anywhere near a team I cheer for.  Having Crown recommend charges is just an extra level of proof that  there is a reasonable amount of evidence that it occurred.

A good example is, would you let a person currently charged with being a pedophile babysit your children?  I mean they haven’t been found criminally guilty so no problem right?  We don’t need that to make our personal decisions, that burden of proof is only needed to deprive someone of their liberty.

Thank you for saying what I wanted to say but better. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Exactly^

But here's the biggest thing.  How did the Canucks management not know the character of this player and chose to re-sign him?

They never heard the rumours?  Hmm....  His teammates knew it.

People knew it.  I sat next to him on a patio and knew it based on his actions and loser friends that he hung around with. None of them were Canucks by the way. Guy acted in no way like a professional hockey player. 

Did Canuck management know something and cover it up?  Not that far fetched. Let's see. These scandals have been out there all over the news in the last couple years more and more about teams covering up sex abuse sandals.  Let's see if JB and co didn't know anything or if they did..

Since you bring up his friends, we have to wonder how much he was enabled by them to continue acting like a small town celebrity rather than growing up and becoming a professional and an adult. He was able to keep those high school friends around  being drafted to his home town. And I'm not saying they are the cause of any of this, but often players will learn to be a better professional being around the older teammates more, and making new friends who may have outgrown the high school antics.

It happens with many of us, we move on and find new friends as we get older. When a lot of your shared memories are doing stupid high school things, you sometimes tend to keep doing stupid high school things.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Absolute Fing scumbag of a person. Hope nothing but the worst for him.

He’s local, people know things. Not surprised at all. 

Didn't we draft him cuz he was a good local Canadian kid

I didnt live in Vancouver when this happened. I have no idea what he's like or heard any stories. I heard Kassian was a jerk off. Kassian stories made it to Edmonton

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

3 hours ago, Western Red said:

Settle down. Charges wouldn't have been laid if this was the case. It was a loooong process.

And he might get acquitted.

Plus there is no way he has to come back from Russia.I think he will though. He can stay in Russia but then he'll never be able to come back and see his family.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Haha 1