The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks and Ducks Boeser goes to Disneyland

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd prefer a pick to Zellweger, but otherwise that works for me as long as Manson is signed to an extension prior to the deal.

Zellweger is the Samuel Girard type player they need in a 3rd pairing and then push OEL for ice time as below is from the hockey writers 

Zellweger’s offensive traits are going to outweigh the size issue that some teams may hold over him. He has the potential to become a top-four defenceman who will eat up a lot of minutes on the power play. He continues to improve as each season passes, and with a never-quit attitude, he will have a distinguished career as an NHL blueliner”

that sounds better then taking a draft pick 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

Zellweger is the Samuel Girard type player they need in a 3rd pairing and then push OEL for ice time as below is from the hockey writers 

Zellweger’s offensive traits are going to outweigh the size issue that some teams may hold over him. He has the potential to become a top-four defenceman who will eat up a lot of minutes on the power play. He continues to improve as each season passes, and with a never-quit attitude, he will have a distinguished career as an NHL blueliner”

that sounds better then taking a draft pick 

Zellweger has some areas to work on as well. He needs to be stronger as he can be outmuscled when defending against the cycle. He also has issues in clearing the front of the net. Zellweger could improve these areas of his game by adding muscle to his frame, but he willl likely always be somewhat undersized, especially when facing bigger and stronger opponents at the next level. He also needs to work on his positioning away from the puck. Zellweger can sometimes be undisciplined in his positioning. He will leave his man and look to chase the puck carrier, even when he is engaged with a teammate. This can lead to his man being alone in dangerous areas

Yikes.  That's a hard no for me with that many defensive issues.  I'd much rather the pick than a defensive liability; we need a D who can play defence on the third pairing.

Edited by King Heffy

44 minutes ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

Ducks get 

Brock Boeser

Luke Schenn 

Canucks get 

Mason McTavish

Josh Manson

Olen Zellweger 

take your shots 

I would loooooove to see Vancouver get McTavish. He was #1 on my draft wishlist last draft.

Unfortunately, he is rumored to be on The Ducks untouchable list and a gross overpayment may be required to get him. I don't think BB gets it done but, I do like where your heads at. He would be a great fit here. Another B Horvat type with higher offensive potential.

Anaheim are rebuilding.  It's very unlikely that they would even enquire about Boeser - he's 2 years to UFA with a 7.5M qualifying offer and is too old to fit the players they are building around.  Zegras, McTavish, Drysdale are their future.  

• Cheers 2

Honestly if we're going to trade Boeser I'm fine with not getting McTavish and I'd rather get a young, right shot defenseman (presumably we'd try to keep the 26 year old Horvat and maybe even Miller who's only 28, and with those two and Petey we'd be three centers deep, and we'd be good on the wings with Miller and probably Hoglander or Garland on the top line, and the other wing can play with Podkolzin and Horvat). 

Now I'm not saying that we get Drysdale for Boeser, but from some other team maybe we can get our RHD partner for Hughes (not thinking Dumba btw).  

Edited by Phil_314

4 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I would loooooove to see Vancouver get McTavish. He was #1 on my draft wishlist last draft.

Unfortunately, he is rumored to be on The Ducks untouchable list and a gross overpayment may be required to get him. I don't think BB gets it done but, I do like where your heads at. He would be a great fit here. Another B Horvat type with higher offensive potential.

I guess it depends how much the Ducks want Brock. 

I mean, one is an established NHL player, the other is still quite raw and hasn’t established himself in the league yet. 

But I understand why Anaheim is high on McTavish. Still has a lot to prove though. Just because you’re a high draft pick, doesn’t mean it’s a guarantee that he’ll be a star. 

3 hours ago, mll said:

Anaheim are rebuilding.  It's very unlikely that they would even enquire about Boeser - he's 2 years to UFA with a 7.5M qualifying offer and is too old to fit the players they are building around.  Zegras, McTavish, Drysdale are their future.  

Yeah, that’s true. Brock wouldn’t make sense for Anaheim. Maybe if the Ducks were contending, they might make a trade for Boeser. But moving him to the Ducks doesn’t make sense for them

8 hours ago, mll said:

All true.  Still they are going to need older guys to help the younger ones, wouldn't be the first time a GM makes a move like this.   McTavish was the right pick for them, they need him.   So do we.  I'd do Miller straight across for him as well.    We also need a young center in our group.    ANA Gibson is carrying the mail like usual - hopefully he's not going to be wasted for their case - for us the same goes for Demko.    Brock Boeser needs to go to a team with bad right wing depth ....  that is a little ahead of our cycle.   He's a valuable trade chip - any team (ours or if we trade him) can go to arbitration if his camp sticks to that cap hit which is too much.   As a free agent in the open market, he won't get that and i'm pretty sure he knows it as does his agent.  

14 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I was fortunate enough last year to work with someone who played with him predraft. Admittedly, I don't think I was giving the player the attention he deserved. But after hearing him being spoke of so highly it definitely changed my mind a bit. I was actually working with that person on draft day when McTavish went higher then most expected. When were were talking about it, they said "the kid could have gone first overall and I wouldn't be shocked." Been watching this kid closely ever since. I think he's an untouchable.

Edited by Shayster007

12 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

I was fortunate enough last year to work with someone who played with him predraft. Admittedly, I don't think I was giving the player the attention he deserved. But after hearing him being spoke of so highly it definitely changed my mind a bit. I was actually working with that person on draft day when McTavish went higher then most expected. When were were talking about it, they said "the kid could have gone first overall and I wouldn't be shocked." Been watching this kid closely ever since. I think he's an untouchable.

I can't help but bring up Miller's name here. 

Anaheim is proving to be better then expected and is playoff bound.

JTM seems to be resilient to injury and keeps himself in peak shape. I could see him having, at least, five more seasons of peak production. Acquiring Miller places Anaheim in the conversation of favorites to win the cup, imo.

I don't think bringing up McTavish's name in this scenario would be out of the question.

Miller for McTavish, Comtois, a first, and a second could, and should be, looked at as a solid return for The Canucks.

Comtois has definitely had a rough 21-22 campaign but his skillset has a lot of what Vancouver needs and, up until this year, was progressing nicely. He's a player I'd take a chance on to have a bounce back season next year.

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

I can't help but bring up Miller's name here. 

Anaheim is proving to be better then expected and is playoff bound.

JTM seems to be resilient to injury and keeps himself in peak shape. I could see him having, at least, five more seasons of peak production. Acquiring Miller places Anaheim in the conversation of favorites to win the cup, imo.

I don't think bringing up McTavish's name in this scenario would be out of the question.

Miller for McTavish, Comtois, a first, and a second could, and should be, looked at as a solid return for The Canucks.

Comtois has definitely had a rough 21-22 campaign but his skillset has a lot of what Vancouver needs and, up until this year, was progressing nicely. He's a player I'd take a chance on to have a bounce back season next year.

By point percentage Anaheim are not in a playoff position and have tailed off after a hot start.  Since the Christmas break they are 5-7-2 or 0.429.  Only Edmonton and Seattle have a worse record over that stretch in the division.

Manson, Rakell and Lindholm will be UFAs and if they can't reach a deal by the TDL would expect them to be traded.  

• Cheers 1

I think it is better to trade Brock to a playoff team.  Realistically, he isn't going to get a centerpiece player in a trade.

Instead, he gets a very good RD prospect and a young potential 3C

LA gets Brock for Kapuari  (C-shoots R) + Helge Grans (RD)

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2018/04/10/rasmus-kupari-scouting-report-2018-nhl-draft/

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/05/07/helge-grans-scouting-report/

or 

LA gets Brock for Lemieux (LW) + Vilardi (C)

https://thehockeywriters.com/brendan-lemieux-the-next-ones-nhl-2014-draft-prospect-profile/