The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mathew Highmore has quietly been learning from Boudreau and Motte

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Kid was a solid pickup from Benning, great trade that EVERYONE freaked out about.

He's become a integral part of our 4th line, while Gaudette is struggling to stay in the Ottawa lineup after being tossed away by Chicago. 

And I will be the first to admit I thought letting Gaudette go was a mistake.

Although I have to wonder if Gaudette might have performed better under Boudreau.

I still think Gaudette is a better choice than Chiasson.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Agreed both about that the trade to get him is looking great now and the whole line has played so well together.

When Miller, Horvat and Garland were all out last week they bumped the whole unit up (ahead of Dickinson and Podkolzin from what I recall) and that speaks volumes.
A throwaway years ago when we traded Vanek (Motte), a throwaway when we gave up on Juolevi (Lammikko) and a someone many considered a throwaway when we moved on from Gaudette (Highmore) look great together, and I'm getting shutdown 3rd line vibes from them (though having them on the 4th would be a luxury at this point).

Edited by Phil_314

4 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Really??? Havent been watching any of their games or following them but 7 points in 9 games is nothing to laugh at. 

2073034427_ScreenShot2022-01-27at11_06_14PM.png.c85020d67e8b3b82c7498e019f543f38.png

While he's had a nice little streak (4 points in 3 games, with 2 points against Buffalo), he's only reached 12+ minutes of ice time three times this season.
Of course I hope that this little scoring run gets him more confidence but I can't help but think that he'll top out as a Jeff Tambellini type depth scorer.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

While he's had a nice little streak (4 points in 3 games, with 2 points against Buffalo), he's only reached 12+ minutes of ice time three times this season.
Of course I hope that this little scoring run gets him more confidence but I can't help but think that he'll top out as a Jeff Tambellini type depth scorer.

Yes, that's exactly what he can be... but remember the reason Edmonton is having so many problems is exactly because they don't have the depth scorers to complement their two hockey gods.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I said it before and I'll say it again.

If Benning had not renewed Green's contract and gone shopping for another coach along with assistants last summer he'd still have his job.

Sometimes I wondered if he was pressured by the media and the players to extend Green. Green received A LOT OF PRAISES from the players. And I guess, to Benning, he prob didnt want to sign green hence it took so long? But he succumb to the media and players 

Edited by DontMessMe

14 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

And I will be the first to admit I thought letting Gaudette go was a mistake.

Although I have to wonder if Gaudette might have performed better under Boudreau.

I still think Gaudette is a better choice than Chiasson.

Gauds would not have brought a better work ethic or character trait. Highmore brings more, despite numbers. Also, in respect of popular opinion, Chiason brings more value. Even J Benning knew that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

46 minutes ago, khay said:

I think Benning is a good evaluator of players.

He is a terrible evaluator of coaches.

I thought Highmore and Lammikko were two of the most useless players I have ever seen play under Green.

Now I can't even believe that they are the same players under Boudreau. The hustle and forechecking is so beautifully in sync whenever that "4th" line is on the ice.

Big reason why we were able to turn things around.

I say that the players in NHL is the best. They only need a coach that knows how to utilise them.

So I don’t bother about Benning regarding this. 
Now with Boudreu we can bring back Pouliot and he become Hughes no 2

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Kid was a solid pickup from Benning, great trade that EVERYONE freaked out about.

He's become a integral part of our 4th line, while Gaudette is struggling to stay in the Ottawa lineup after being tossed away by Chicago. 

uhhhh.. Gaudette 7 points in 9 games playing like 10 minutes per game for Ottawa. 

highmore have been great under boudreau but i still wouldn't mind having gaudette on the team.. one of the biggest issue with the team this year is secondary scoring. gaudette would be somewhere between 2nd-3rd on this team in points per game avg and he plays half the mins of those players. of coz he wouldn't be able to keep up those pace here on the canucks but i figured he would be somewhere at 15-20 points on this team now.. that's the production of like highmore chiasson dickenson combined. we avg well under 3 goals per game not going to win many games in this league scoring just 2 goals.

36 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Finally, an affordable 4th line, that can compete.  Hoping, they can move some pieces and use the savings to keep the 4th line, together cause all three are Free Agents, at seasons end.

I like my grinders and bottom 6 heros. One thing JB was never able to do was shore up his bottom ranks at forward. Lots of costly mistakes there. We haven’t been able to find consistency in our bottom 6 in years…the line of Lammy, Motte, Highmore bring me back to those days I remember being proud of our teams 3rd and 4th lines. Feels good to see some glimpses of it again.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1