The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Happy Birthday, Steamer

Rate this topic

-DLC-

33 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

my all time favourite canuck.  wish everyone could have seen him play. i coached ateam that played against his brother harvey's team.

One of my all-time favourites as well. I can still remember a game where Stan and I think Fraser started fighting their opponents at the same time coming to the defense of Thomas Gradin.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

I also really love hearing stories from those of you who are connected to our team's history in some way or another.  I mean really, we all are if we're fans.  But the interactions you've shared with players and the way we can add to their stories through your own accounts is great.

If we could build a team of all Steamers we'd be champions. Hard working, tough, totally dedicated team players.

• Like 4

Funny story about Smyl - like others I've been a fan of his since he first joined the Canucks.  In another life I lived in in Toronto during the early 2000's and I would routinely go down to Hamilton to watch the Bulldogs Play - I have a friend who works for the AHL and he actually got me an 'arena' pass (I just showed it to security at any AHL arena and I got full access to most rinks - a couple times it worked at NHL rink also). 

So one night I'm in Hamilton specifically to watch them play Manitoba when Smyl was coaching down there.  The Bulldogs were one of the better teams in the league at that time and the Moose were not.  It wasn't a good game, the Bulldogs destroyed the Moose on the ice and Smyl and the team had to make the looooong bus ride back to Manitoba in the middle of the night after a long road trip and bad loss.  I was happy because I got to see Ryan Kesler's first pro-hockey game (I believe he'd left Ohio State that week to turn pro and his first game was in Hamilton).  So the team was boarding the bus in the old Copps Coliseum secured parking area where nobody was supposed to have access to (except me:), and I approached Smyl and said hi.  He turned around and while he was turning I could hear him say "What the F*&k is it now?".   He was clearly pissed and didn't want contact with anyone so I just said sorry to bother you Stan, I hope you have a safe trip back to Winnipeg and I walked away.  He must've either regretted muttering that phrase and/or he spotted that I had a fist-full of hockey cards with me and a sharpie.  I had no intention of bothering him further but he actually called me back and insisted he sign all of the cards that I had brought with me - I had a bunch of his cards from his playing days as well as an original game program from when he was with the Bruins in New West.  Believe it or not I had several CHL hockey cards with me and Stan was kind enough to go on the bus and get those signed by the guys that had already boarded (Baumer, King and Auld were the ones I remember).   He apologized for his reaction and I apologized for bothering him in the 'secure' area of the arena, then the bus left and I drove back to Toronto.  I did see the Moose play in two other AHL arenas that season and I saw Stan both times after the game when I was looking for autographs from some of the players - we said hi each time.  I then saw Smyl in Whistler years after that when he was there for one of the Canucks' rookie orientation camps and I said hi to him in one of the local restaurants - I don't suspect he remembered me, but I told him how I used to watch his team play in the AHL and we had some small-talk. 

He's the definition of 'forever-a-Canuck' and I hope it stays that way.

Happy Birthday Steamer! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

stan wasn't big, but if he couldn't go around you, he would go through you. the ultimate team player.

one of the many things I liked about Smyl (even though I was relatively young at the time) - if you just watched him play, you would have no idea of the score, time of the game, or game # in the season....he played 110% every shift. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, smithers joe said:

my all time favourite canuck.  wish everyone could have seen him play. i coached ateam that played against his brother harvey's team.

I watched him with the New Westminster Bruins, along with Barry Beck, coached by Ernie "Punch" McLean. 

Happy Birthday Stanley! 

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Like 2

Was at a game in the early '80s between Canucks and Oilers.  Dave Semenko was running everyone so Smyl took him on;  gave up 7" and 30 lbs. but didn't hesitate to stick up for his team mates.  A real gamer is Stan and one of the MANY reasons he is so well respected in the hockey world.

All due respect to Semenko, he took it easy on Smyl and tried to disengage without losing face.  Both players earned kudos from me that evening.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I watched him with the New Westminster Bruins, along with Barry Beck, coached by Ernie "Punch" McLean. 

Happy Birthday Stanley! 

there was some great games back in the whl in stan's day. punch like his teams to play tough. some great donnie brooks too.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

there was some great games back in the whl in stan's day. punch like his teams to play tough. some great donnie brooks too.

Unreal. You're right, many times it was war. Even Brad Maxwell could throw 'em down. 

Amazing team and Smyl was the heart and soul, as he was with the Canucks. That's why his number is hanging from the rafters.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I love Trevor, they are both guys you go to war with, but Stan gets the nod here. 

Imagine both in their prime. 

There are things about Trevor that I'm starting to realize in comparison to Stan. Stan is a true blue Canuck through and through.

1 minute ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

There are things about Trevor that I'm starting to realize in comparison to Stan. Stan is a true blue Canuck through and through.

Trevor is a Canuck true and true. None of us no exactly what exactly played out behind the scenes with Benning and FA. 

If you know, please enlighten us.