The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Happy Birthday, Steamer

Rate this topic

-DLC-

59 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I love Trevor, they are both guys you go to war with, but Stan gets the nod here. 

Imagine both in their prime. 

That team would have been unbreakable.  They were both there for the 1989 playoffs where they took the Cup champs to game 7 OT but Trevor was at about 85 or 90% on the way up and Stan had dropped to about 40% with age.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

There are things about Trevor that I'm starting to realize in comparison to Stan. Stan is a true blue Canuck through and through.

Dumb to diss Trevor, who is equally a legend as #12 and who brought this team closer to a Cup than any other Captain in Canuck History... despite being slashed, hacked and cheapshoted by #11.

Both Smyl and Linden are true Canucks... what happened with Trevor's departure is known only to him, the former management and owners.

I am quite certain it wasn't any character flaw on the part of Linden which caused him to leave.

Anyway, lets get back to wishing the Steamer a happy birthday and many more years with the Canuck's organization.

14 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Dumb to diss Trevor, who is equally a legend as #12 and who brought this team closer to a Cup than any other Captain in Canuck History... despite being slashed, hacked and cheapshoted by #11.

Both Smyl and Linden are true Canucks... what happened with Trevor's departure is known only to him, the former management and owners.

I am quite certain it wasn't any character flaw on the part of Linden which caused him to leave.

Anyway, lets get back to wishing the Steamer a happy birthday and many more years with the Canuck's organization.

Best ever Canucks captains and Canucks ambassadors, IMHO, are Steamer, Orland Kurtenbach & Henrik Sedin. I will always appreciate Trevor for his outstanding rookie season and the '94 Cup run. Despise Me$$ier.

Edited by Tiger-Hearted

19 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I also really love hearing stories from those of you who are connected to our team's history in some way or another.  I mean really, we all are if we're fans.  But the interactions you've shared with players and the way we can add to their stories through your own accounts is great.

If we could build a team of all Steamers we'd be champions. Hard working, tough, totally dedicated team players.

That's something that i really appreciate too Deb.   Doesn't matter when you became a fan.   This team connects all of us and the stories about ex or current players are great insights into that connection too. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Best ever Canucks captains and Canucks ambassadors, IMHO, are Steamer, Orland Kurtenbach & Henrik Sedin. I will always appreciate Trevor for his outstanding rookie season and the '94 Cup run. Despise Me$$ier.

Well Linden is the most beloved player we ever have for a reason.   With great power comes great responsibility...quoting  SpiderMan is silly but it's true.   If Linden wants to spend his days with his family and not be too involved, that's just fine.   He's earned it.   Messier wasn't the right guy and he's taken a massive hit from our fanbase and rightly so.   All he had to do, was change his number to 13/14 or something, and fall in line.   On paper we've never had a better team.   

Smyl is awesome and wish him the best.   And so is Linden.   Both have earned the right to sail into the sunset in my books. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Well Linden is the most beloved player we ever have for a reason.   With great power comes great responsibility...quoting  SpiderMan is silly but it's true.   If Linden wants to spend his days with his family and not be too involved, that's just fine.   He's earned it.   Messier wasn't the right guy and he's taken a massive hit from our fanbase and rightly so.   All he had to do, was change his number to 13/14 or something, and fall in line.   On paper we've never had a better team.   

Smyl is awesome and wish him the best.   And so is Linden.   Both have earned the right to sail into the sunset in my books. 

My eyes have opened up about Trevor in recent times. I know I will be flamed for this but I'm calling a spade a "spade" here. Family time or no family time, Trevor has been overrated and overhyped in this market. I will always appreciate his outstanding rookie season and his great playoff run in '94. I even have a white Skate jersey with his name and #16. Yes, his involvement in the community during his playing days was very admirable. We never hear of him being available in the community or meeting sick children nowadays. (NY Islanders great, the recently departed Clark Gillies has always been tireless in the Long Island community long after his playing days. He was extremely active with his Clark Gillies Foundation that focused on working with sick and disadvantaged children. Clark was also a very devoted family man.) However, where was Trevor from his retirement until he was hired in '14?? His Club 16 fitness clubs creation is great but still. He hardly ever makes himself available for Canucks activities or the fans. Even guys from the '94 team like Kirk McLean(Canucks '94 MVP), Gino Odjick, Jyrki Lumme and Dave Babych make regular appearances. So does Steamer after he long retired. Linden, to be very honest, was an underachiever. Scored 30 goals as an 18-year old rookie on an offensively challenged team but never cracked more than 33 goals on much better Canucks teams in the higher scoring era. Linden, with his 6'4" and 215 lbs couldn't even stand up for himself nor teammates. With his skills, size and outstanding skating ability, he should've been able to dominate on a regular basis. Should have been far more prominent in the playoffs besides that great '89 series with the first-place Flames and the '94 Cup run. He was great in the '94 Final. Though I hated the way Mike Keenan bullied him but Keenan said something to Trevor that made absolute sense: "Why be a good player when I know you can be a great player?" I believe Trevor being the team's NHL Player rep during his young prime hurt his on-ice focus. Trevor has become too much of a corporate guy and far less of a people person. 

Then, there's Stan, The Steamer. Never took a shift off. Scored 34 and 38 goals on sub .500 Canucks teams. Scored 38 goals & 88 points in 74 games. Would've likely cracked 40+ goals and 90+ points if he played in 4 of the 6 games he missed in '82-'83. He played consistently well in the playoffs beyond the '82 Cup run. In spite of his 5'8", 190 lbs size, he wasn't afraid to fight for himself nor his teammates. Didn't need Tiger, Harold & Ron Delorme to answer the bell for him. He even beat up guys bigger than he was, ie. Flames' Gary Roberts in '89 and Islanders' Bob Nystrom in '82. Stan and his wonderful and devoted wife Jennifer became parents to 3 children in the latter part of his career and he STILL made time to be the face, ambassador and voice of reason for the Canucks and loyal fan base. Stan had gone through more hell as a Canucks player with all the constant losing, Harry Neale's mismanagement, the revolving door of coaches including the lunatic Bill LaForge and the highly controversial Flying V uniforms and he never ONCE whined nor complained. He was proud to be a Canuck and he bleeds the Canucks to this very day.

16 hours ago, singing chef said:

Was at a game in the early '80s between Canucks and Oilers.  Dave Semenko was running everyone so Smyl took him on;  gave up 7" and 30 lbs. but didn't hesitate to stick up for his team mates.  A real gamer is Stan and one of the MANY reasons he is so well respected in the hockey world.

All due respect to Semenko, he took it easy on Smyl and tried to disengage without losing face.  Both players earned kudos from me that evening.

Would that be the game that Stan stepped up to fight, about 2 seconds before Canuck D man/winger Glen Cochrane got to Semenko?

I saw a game like that, just slow down a bit Stan and Glen will get there.

That would have been a monster scrap.

ps- belated Happy Birthday, Steamer.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

My eyes have opened up about Trevor in recent times. I know I will be flamed for this but I'm calling a spade a "spade" here. Family time or no family time, Trevor has been overrated and overhyped in this market. I will always appreciate his outstanding rookie season and his great playoff run in '94. I even have a white Skate jersey with his name and #16. Yes, his involvement in the community during his playing days was very admirable. We never hear of him being available in the community or meeting sick children nowadays. (NY Islanders great, the recently departed Clark Gillies has always been tireless in the Long Island community long after his playing days. He was extremely active with his Clark Gillies Foundation that focused on working with sick and disadvantaged children. Clark was also a very devoted family man.) However, where was Trevor from his retirement until he was hired in '14?? His Club 16 fitness clubs creation is great but still. He hardly ever makes himself available for Canucks activities or the fans. Even guys from the '94 team like Kirk McLean(Canucks '94 MVP), Gino Odjick, Jyrki Lumme and Dave Babych make regular appearances. So does Steamer after he long retired. Linden, to be very honest, was an underachiever. Scored 30 goals as an 18-year old rookie on an offensively challenged team but never cracked more than 33 goals on much better Canucks teams in the higher scoring era. Linden, with his 6'4" and 215 lbs couldn't even stand up for himself nor teammates. With his skills, size and outstanding skating ability, he should've been able to dominate on a regular basis. Should have been far more prominent in the playoffs besides that great '89 series with the first-place Flames and the '94 Cup run. He was great in the '94 Final. Though I hated the way Mike Keenan bullied him but Keenan said something to Trevor that made absolute sense: "Why be a good player when I know you can be a great player?" I believe Trevor being the team's NHL Player rep during his young prime hurt his on-ice focus. Trevor has become too much of a corporate guy and far less of a people person. 

Then, there's Stan, The Steamer. Never took a shift off. Scored 34 and 38 goals on sub .500 Canucks teams. Scored 38 goals & 88 points in 74 games. Would've likely cracked 40+ goals and 90+ points if he played in 4 of the 6 games he missed in '82-'83. He played consistently well in the playoffs beyond the '82 Cup run. In spite of his 5'8", 190 lbs size, he wasn't afraid to fight for himself nor his teammates. Didn't need Tiger, Harold & Ron Delorme to answer the bell for him. He even beat up guys bigger than he was, ie. Flames' Gary Roberts in '89 and Islanders' Bob Nystrom in '82. Stan and his wonderful and devoted wife Jennifer became parents to 3 children in the latter part of his career and he STILL made time to be the face, ambassador and voice of reason for the Canucks and loyal fan base. Stan had gone through more hell as a Canucks player with all the constant losing, Harry Neale's mismanagement, the revolving door of coaches including the lunatic Bill LaForge and the highly controversial Flying V uniforms and he never ONCE whined nor complained. He was proud to be a Canuck and he bleeds the Canucks to this very day.

I think you have to consider that, when Trevor cut ties with the team in his last involvement here, it likely wasn't great.  I fully believe him stepping "away" a bit is probably him showing respect (as he did when he left), not because he doesn't care about this city/organization.  Taking the high road, biting his tongue, not souring things WITH the city/fanbase (he deserves better).

Some guys (like Trevor, Hank) aren't drop the gloves fighters but that doesn't mean they're not "tough".  Playing with broken ribs without telling anyone as your teammates hear your screams from the training room.  That's "tough".

Did he focus elsewhere post hockey?  Yes.  And that's ok...there's life beyond hockey for many players. I know he was always into cycling/fitness so he's just carried that forward.

He paid his dues here, I have nothing bad to say about Trevor.  I,  personally, have 2 stories of how he showed nothing but respect to this city and the fans during his tenure here.

I mean, he stayed here....this is home to him.

If Keenan said that to Trevor when he was here, I hope he also said that to Messier while he was here.  Anything but great.

• Upvote 1