The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Boeser for Laine

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

was he drafted to intimidate? 

He's got no tenacity man. No battle, you don't win with guys like that. Brock is a great guy and he's got great skills I want to love the guy but watching him flyby on every hit opportunity never stick up for anyone and get beat to every loose puck is infuriating to watch. If he was meaner and quicker he could be an elite player but instead he's just meh with the odd flash of offence. I don't want to pay 7m or 6.5x7 or whatever to watch him when guys like Garly are pulling his weight around. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

He's got no tenacity man. No battle, you don't win with guys like that. Brock is a great guy and he's got great skills I want to love the guy but watching him flyby on every hit opportunity never stick up for anyone and get beat to every loose puck is infuriating to watch. If he was meaner and quicker he could be an elite player but instead he's just meh with the odd flash of offence. I don't want to pay 7m or 6.5x7 or whatever to watch him when guys like Garly are pulling his weight around. 

this is just one of those agree to disagree moments. I do think he has been battling a lot harder this year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, JM_ said:

this is just one of those agree to disagree moments. I do think he has been battling a lot harder this year. 

Would hope so it's a contract year. On pace for what 46 points or whaever with 16 pillowy hits on the season playing 20mins of prime icetime a night is not good enough it just isn't. I really like Brock and I'm sure he's well loved. But when you pay him 7m and turn around with empty hands for a guy like Motte who's f'n bringin it every night there's a problem. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think the gm will have a tough decision to make regarding Brock.  Of course, the big ? is his upcoming contract. 

If JR decides to let him go, I would hope Boes could be traded for a RD prospect that has solid potential.  The Kings are really solid with RDs and have Brandt having an epic season in the Jrs.  They also have Helge Grans, who is already playing in the AHL at 19yrs.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/05/07/helge-grans-scouting-report/

Boeser is a good fit, as the aging Brown is in his UFA year.  Kings would have to add to this trade, but I'm not sure if they would be willing to let go of Vilardi. :(

If not... Boeser to LA for Lemiux (tough 3rd LW) + Grans + 1st rounder

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Didn't Jeff Skinner score 40 goals once?  

Goals per game:

Patrik Laine - .42

Brock Boeser - .38

There isn't a huge difference between to two.  Laine has sucked the last 2 years and is even slower than Boeser.  He was -29 last year too.  Hard pass...

Slower than Brock? 

How about faster than Bo. His first 3 steps were especially quicker.  

Not saying Laine is a speed demon or anything but he's certainly faster than Brock and is a better goal scorer.

• Upvote 1

A lateral move doesn't help this team.

If I'm dealing BB, the incoming player has to bring something different.

One name that comes to mind is Lawson Couse.

He's taken strides this year and could be coming into his own. 

Trading a bit more offence for a bit more physicality would be a deal I'd be into.

Crouse               Miller                Garland

That could be a fantastic line.

Honestly, no. I'd rather have Boeser than Laine. I don't doubt Laine's skill and I could see Boudreau potentially motivating him the right way, but I can also see a scenario where that doesn't happen with him. It'd be a risk at a heafty expense of Boeser if it doesn't pan out.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:25 PM, hammertime said:

Would hope so it's a contract year. On pace for what 46 points or whaever with 16 pillowy hits on the season playing 20mins of prime icetime a night is not good enough it just isn't. I really like Brock and I'm sure he's well loved. But when you pay him 7m and turn around with empty hands for a guy like Motte who's f'n bringin it every night there's a problem. 

Dude lay off.   Last year he was our MVP ... and ranked 13th in the entire league for board battles, ahead of everyone else on our team for forwards.    He was actually earning his QO as well.   This pillowy soft stuff is nonsense.   During the bubble watched him take some serious hits to make plays - TT and Pearson were invisible along the boards and supposed to be our tough vets (in the bubble)...Pearson is playing way tougher since Bruce arrived then i've seen him do yet - and yes he goes to the  tough places infront of the net...getting a little tired of reading lame stuff like Brock is one dimensional - he's also a very good passer.   Don't think he's worth his qualifying offer though ... 6 x 6 is about right.   We will miss him when he's gone ... as far as this trade proposal goes no thanks.   Laine just doesn't use his size the way he should.   

• Vintage 2

On 1/29/2022 at 12:25 PM, hammertime said:

You do realize that Laine has a grand total of 12 hits this year, right?

He has gotten worse in literally every season since his 2nd year in the league. Every Winnipeg fan I know, and there are quite a few where I live, was ecstatic the day Laine got traded. He has no drive or commitment outside of himself, he is a spoiled, entitled, whiny brat that shrivels at the slightest adversity and was developing a reputation around the city that was approaching the level of Evander Kane.

And as far as this hot take goes:

On 1/29/2022 at 12:12 PM, hammertime said:

He's got no tenacity man. No battle, you don't win with guys like that.

Brock was the best player, as a freshman, on a team that won a NCAA National Championship, including putting up 4 points in the title game.

As I mentioned in a different post, Brock has more points than Laine since joining the league, and since that time Laine has only managed to average 4 goals a season more than Brock, and with Boeser putting up more points in 3 of the last 4 seasons.

You like to come here and bash Boeser and hype Motte while ignoring that both players have completely different roles on the team. It is Motte's job to go out and play a limited amount of high energy, physical minutes because that style of play isn't conducive to playing 18-20 minutes a game and Motte doesn't have the skill to be a potential scoring threat every night. It's Boeser's role to go out play big minutes and put up points, and he has been one of the best players at his position since joining the league. 

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Vintage 2

I like Brock, but to me if this was a straight swap, I would have to think that Petey and Laine could be something special together.  If they develop chemistry together, it seems like they could potentially both hold each other accountable as there may be mutual respect.  Hard to know with chemistry, but it definitely feels like it could create a dynamic duo.

On 1/28/2022 at 4:47 PM, flat land fish said:

Two right handed shots closing in on UFA status primarily offensive players and paid similarl Money.   Boeser needs to be more of a primary option to reach his potential and Laine needs his confidence restored and would benefit from playing with playmaker like Hughes.

He only just got traded for a change of scenery and he’s done nothing. What makes you think another trade will make all the difference.