The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Flames / Sat., Jan. 29/22 / 7:00 PM (Hockey Day In Canada)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

21 minutes ago, sonoman said:

83157B8B-583C-4AFF-BBF9-DA5DA73BD8EA.jpeg

That's awesome.   I've kept a few papers after our game 7 loss too NYR, planning to burn them in a ceremony at some point...."Curses!"  Front page lol.   Yep.   Didn't bother in 2011, papers were going digital by then.  Still waiting....what a ride though.    Eventually we will get to reminisce on better days.    Until then Lindens teams were the bomb.   Won more series then pretty much the rest combined when he was on the team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

Seems weird that he could fly, skate with other teams but couldn't join his real team here?  

Some of it just doesn't make sense.

No doubt.   Get the need to be careful but at some point logic doesn't seem very logical with this stuff anymore.   

32 minutes ago, sonoman said:

83157B8B-583C-4AFF-BBF9-DA5DA73BD8EA.jpeg

Thanks; I remember that game.

It was in Calgary so I got to watch it on my new "Big Screen TV" (26" was BIG then).

The previous game was the first Canucks game on my new big-screen.

I had invited everybody over, and the living room was full.

The feed was pumped through my new surround sound 5 channel stereo, and the Canucks lost, and I got all the shots about my shifty TV; and did I say, the Canucks lost.

I watched this shellacking with a girlfriend, a couple 40-pounders of Lemon Hart, and great glee.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's awesome.   I've kept a few papers after our game 7 loss too NYR, planning to burn them in a ceremony at some point...."Curses!"  Front page lol.   Yep.   Didn't bother in 2011, papers were going digital by then.  Still waiting....what a ride though.    Eventually we will get to reminisce on better days.    Until then Lindens teams were the bomb.   Won more series then pretty much the rest combined when he was on the team. 

I've got a bunch in the basement too; I better go dig them out.

(Just don't tell the folks that helped me move many times over the years.

I marked the boxes with like, "Dishes" and "Fragile".)

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I've told this story before, but here's the condensed version of why HDIC will always be so special to me.

Mom was in the final stretch of terminal brain cancer, in palliative.  Mostly disconnected from reality by that point, but had glimpses of her here and there.  Very brief and very emotional.

I snuck in one day and her curtains were drawn and it was dark and quiet in her room...I pulled down the little hospital TV and turned it on, muted, to watch HDIC.   

Mom stirred.

Canucks were playing the Leafs and I was being mindful not to fully wake her, but all of a sudden she sat up in her bed, squinted to see the TV and said "is that Trevor Linden"?  (It was).  

"Yes Mom, it is" tears rolling down my cheeks.  It would be one of our last moments really "together".  I will never forget it...hockey/sports was our thing.

She laid back down and closed her eyes to sleep.  All was right in her world, if even just for a moment.

(Why do I love Trevor Linden/my team so much?  So many reasons, but she is the driving force in that)

There's that damn tear rolling down my cheek again.  Miss you Mom.

EDIT:  This was that amazing game summary from the last day Mom and I would hockey together:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/recap/_/gameId/270113021

Geez Deb I'm trying to eat lunch and now my screen is all bleary, may she rest in peace.

GCG

• Like 1