The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

Just now, DeNiro said:

Teams thinking we’re going full rebuild. :lol:

Circling like vultures.

Only really see 1 or 2 big pieces traded. I think a bit more has to be done even if we trade Miller but at that point you could try to trade some of the higher cap-hit role/support players if you can. 

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not surprised teams are interested. I doubt we trade him. He's cost controlled and if we are taking a step back he still fits our age group afterwards.

For me it would literally have to be a Miller-like return.

Yeah the return would have to be massive.  Close to a Miller-like return given his cap hit and performance.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not surprised teams are interested. I doubt we trade him. He's cost controlled and if we are taking a step back he still fits our age group afterwards.

For me it would literally have to be a Miller-like return.

Garland's a guy I'd prefer to keep, I like him for the reasons others are huge fans of Miller. Different player, but he plays with similar drive, particularly for a smaller player. Having a guy like Garland on the team is part of why I'm comfortable with Miller going. 

And as you said, his age fits if they see themselves a few years out. 

It does appear they could be going full rebuild, but it's more like full re-tool.  Rebuilding teams aim for draft picks, the Canucks would be aiming for young roster players and almost ready prospects who will be able to step in next year.  

However, I think Garland fits the former definition so it seems like a lateral move unless the return is something you can't turn down.  He'd be a great piece for a team like the Hurricanes though.

Just now, HKSR said:

Yeah the return would have to be massive.  Close to a Miller-like return given his cap hit and performance.

No reason for us to trade him for anything but that. If we decide to part from Miller and we take a minor short step back, Garland will still be here by the time when we move forward as a veteran piece and leader on the team.