The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why would NJ want Garland?

why wouldn't they? 

I don't know why we'd move him, we just need to go out and get someone like him. There are guys I'd pay a late round pick to move, like Pearson before I'd be thinking about moving Garland. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, hero11 said:

Hearing talks of Garland to NJ for Ty Smith and picks. More to come later.

Why?  That's barely a lateral move at best. 

If JR and PA make that move I'll start having some serious misgivings about how they view the team.

Garland at his cap is almost the perfect utility knife on any team and Ty Smith doesn't even get put in my drink let alone stir it

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why would NJ want Garland?

Still young and cost controlled for another 4 seasons after this one.  Gives some talent for Hughes / Hischier to work with and allows them to give their young prospects more development time.

30 minutes ago, JM_ said:

why wouldn't they? 

I don't know why we'd move him, we just need to go out and get someone like him. There are guys I'd pay a late round pick to move, like Pearson before I'd be thinking about moving Garland. 

I should rephrase........why would they want him at the deadline.  They're not making a push and that feels more like a draft day move.

I'm with you, there's no use for a lateral move on garland, it's got to be a big win or keep him

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

6 million in cap space is more than enough for him and even a late round pick is fine

Its hard to say a 4-5 d-man at that price is a bit steep in a flat cap world. Can't see a lot teams taking a chance of hurting their cap flexibility. This could be a case of Leafs giving up picks for the Canes to take Marleau 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, mll said:

Rutherford in his pressers has also implied that Vancouver are not built to be contenders just yet - talks of how he wants to get younger, faster and have a team that can come together in a couple of years.

Yes, this part is pretty key.  It doesn’t seem like a smart move to start off a tenure by lying to the fans or laying out a plan and then not even trying to execute on it.

Those things were big reasons for the downfall of the Benning regime.  He couldn’t lay out a vision and then follow up on it.

Our team is likely going to have a whole bunch of different players by the start of next season and that process is almost certainly going to start really soon.

Most players will be on the table, but in my mind the following guys are most likely to be moved by the draft.

Miller, Pearson, Myers, Poolman, Hamonic, Motte, Boeser, Garland, Dickenson, Chiasson, Hoglander 

15 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Ty Smith GTFO If JR and the Chipmunk make that move there better be NJ's 1st attached to it. 

Ty isn't even an upgrade on Rathbone. 

How do you figure on Rathbone lol?

Agree with the rest!  I expect a Kings ransom in return if we move one of our top 6 forwards.  Keep good players on the team or else receive an overpayment for them.  Either is a win imo. 

• Cheers 1