The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

1 hour ago, BabychStache said:

I think Boeser is the odd man out. He’s also a good fit for Chicago. 

I’m not moving down in a draft for a second round pick and moving boeser 

thats tough 

it would need to be a better deal for me 

And could boeser rebuild his trade value this season ? 

10 hours ago, R3aL said:

I’m not moving down in a draft for a second round pick and moving boeser 

thats tough 

it would need to be a better deal for me 

And could boeser rebuild his trade value this season ? 

Possibly but at what cost. Do we miss the playoffs so Brock can pad his stats? 

The reality is what you see is what you get. He's got great hockey IQ and knows how to put up points if surrounded by highly skilled players. But he's not suddenly going to come in faster or meaner. He's still going to be the guy you hope you line up against if you're on the other team. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/25/2023 at 8:04 PM, hammertime said:

Possibly but at what cost. Do we miss the playoffs so Brock can pad his stats? 

The reality is what you see is what you get. He's got great hockey IQ and knows how to put up points if surrounded by highly skilled players. But he's not suddenly going to come in faster or meaner. He's still going to be the guy you hope you line up against if you're on the other team. 

I don’t know. There’s always been a reason for me to understand why Boeser has struggled when he has.

Even while going through his struggles, (emotional/physical/mental) he’s still produced points which in itself is impressive.

Last two years we’ve not seen his shot (ability to score from distance), confidence, winning puck battles, strong on boards, puck protection. Things he has shown us before.

Do I think he will come in next season with wheels absolutely not.

But if he’s able to have a full offseason, one where he’s dialed in, passionate about hockey and takes care of his off season checklist, comes into camp in the best shape of his life I think he could have quite a different year.

Miller is the perfect style player for Boeser to play with 5 on 5, with a solid F1 / forechecker on the other flank. 

I do think Garland looked incredibly quicker once the coaching change happened. Even boeser. I feel like Tocchets system structure will help our slower forwards look faster by taking pucks with speed through the neutral zone and having players know where each other will be and where they are going. 

im not gonna be like boeser is gonna get 40/50 he’s the next bossy this season but I do think he has an opportunity that he is capable of capitalizing on.

am I incredibly confident he will. No. But I do believe he can and I understand trading him right now doesn’t make sense unless an offer from an executive that absolutely loves him  comes around. 

i do Question even if he hits this season or rebounds in a way that impresses us all to some extent if it’s sustainable for him. He’s always got a reason. And we need a roster filled with guys that we can rely on season after season to put their best foot forward and have sustained success in the league. 

im pulling for him and will stay optimistic. But if he comes out and has a bad start it will be hard to support him. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, R3aL said:

I don’t know. There’s always been a reason for me to understand why Boeser has struggled when he has.

Even while going through his struggles, (emotional/physical/mental) he’s still produced points which in itself is impressive.

Last two years we’ve not seen his shot (ability to score from distance), confidence, winning puck battles, strong on boards, puck protection. Things he has shown us before.

Do I think he will come in next season with wheels absolutely not.

But if he’s able to have a full offseason, one where he’s dialed in, passionate about hockey and takes care of his off season checklist, comes into camp in the best shape of his life I think he could have quite a different year.

Miller is the perfect style player for Boeser to play with 5 on 5, with a solid F1 / forechecker on the other flank. 

I do think Garland looked incredibly quicker once the coaching change happened. Even boeser. I feel like Tocchets system structure will help our slower forwards look faster by taking pucks with speed through the neutral zone and having players know where each other will be and where they are going. 

im not gonna be like boeser is gonna get 40/50 he’s the next bossy this season but I do think he has an opportunity that he is capable of capitalizing on.

am I incredibly confident he will. No. But I do believe he can and I understand trading him right now doesn’t make sense unless an offer from an executive that absolutely loves him  comes around. 

i do Question even if he hits this season or rebounds in a way that impresses us all to some extent if it’s sustainable for him. He’s always got a reason. And we need a roster filled with guys that we can rely on season after season to put their best foot forward and have sustained success in the league. 

im pulling for him and will stay optimistic. But if he comes out and has a bad start it will be hard to support him. 

Brock is a great guy good team mate and all around great human. It's easy to love Brock and I absolutely cheer for him every year even though I know better I still took him fairly early in my hockey pool last year because I'm always pulling for Brock. 

For me I got on the trade Brock train during the bubble. He's just out there having fun playing pond hockey with his buddies like he plans to have a BBQ with the other team after the game. To me his point totals are fluctuating they go up they go down it doesn't matter. I feel the same about Kuzz and he just put up 40g a great guy no killer instinct. Pete Hughes Garland Hoglander these are your undersized skill guys with that pack mentality. If you surround them with guys like Miller, Schenn, Ferland, Max Lap, Rousell they will be dogs in the fight and we will grind out series wins.

I felt strongly that we should have traded high on Brock in 2020 and Kuzzmenko when we had the chance at the deadline. If we want to win a cup we have to build a team that to a man goes to war. Kuzmenko registered 2 hits in the final 24 games of the season. I don't expect either of them to become hitters but at least get a participation ribbon.  

I'd rather score 2 goals and win than 6 and lose.  

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Brock is a great guy good team mate and all around great human. It's easy to love Brock and I absolutely cheer for him every year even though I know better I still took him fairly early in my hockey pool last year because I'm always pulling for Brock. 

For me I got on the trade Brock train during the bubble. He's just out there having fun playing pond hockey with his buddies like he plans to have a BBQ with the other team after the game. To me his point totals are fluctuating they go up they go down it doesn't matter. I feel the same about Kuzz and he just put up 40g a great guy no killer instinct. Pete Hughes Garland Hoglander these are your undersized skill guys with that pack mentality. If you surround them with guys like Miller, Schenn, Ferland, Max Lap, Rousell they will be dogs in the fight and we will grind out series wins.

I felt strongly that we should have traded high on Brock in 2020 and Kuzzmenko when we had the chance at the deadline. If we want to win a cup we have to build a team that to a man goes to war. Kuzmenko registered 2 hits in the final 24 games of the season. I don't expect either of them to become hitters but at least get a participation ribbon.  

I'd rather score 2 goals and win than 6 and lose.  

I agree to some extent. I do think Kuzmenko could be successful In playoff hockey. I don’t think physicality or dishing out hits will be his calling card. But I do think he has the hunger and drive to fight through the battles and get to those hard areas he lives in to score in the playoffs. I am hoping he comes into this camp stronger and more conditioned because it could really make a huge difference in his sustained success in the league or even hitting a higher level then he showed us last year. 

we are coming into next year with a lot of IFs which I don’t love.

- IF OEL has a solid summer and rebounds from last year

- IF BOESER has a solid summer and comes into camp hungry and motivated and rebounds

- IF KUZMENKO doesn’t have a drop off 

- IF MIKEHYEV knee rehab goes well and he comes into camp ready 

- IF HRONEK fits in and is the impact dman we need

- IF PODKOLZIN takes a step and finds some consistency to his game

- IF HOGLANDER spent enough time in the AHL and is ready to be an NHL regular 

- IF SPENCER MARTIN can be our back up, does Silovs push for it earlier than expected?

- IF BEAR takes a step, or just what we saw last year is who he is

- IF DEMKO can stay healthy with the game load he will probably have to ply to be a playoff team

then the offseason ifs

- IF we acquire a LHD that can kill penalties

- IF we acquire a 3C that can kill penalties and match up

- IF we move money out 2 of: MYERS/GARLAND/BOESER/OEL/BEAUVILLIER 

- IF we acquire another RHD for our bottom pairing or for Hughes 

whole lot of IFs 

I agree I want guys ready for war. But I just want guys ready to compete. for kuzmenko that could be the hunger to score and to win puck battles. I do think you can be a competitor, hungry guy without hits. Not a common formula but Kuzmenko could be an effective playoff player especially when playing with petey and a forechecking winger.

i do want our roster to have guys in roles that fit their skill sets. This is what I’m hoping for most and I do feel they are building towards that. 

and same with boeser I don’t expect hits from him. But I do want him sealing guys off, winning puck and board battles. He was actually quite effective at this and it’s beyond pond hockey level effort. But either way I’m rooting for him to rebound and if it turns into a better trade for us I’d be really happy. 

we have far too many ifs to confidently say we will be a playoff team even if they acquire a 3C and a LHD to kill penalties. Really curious how our draft and off season goes, equally curious / nervous lol 

im with you though I. The sense we have to have a team that’s COMPETITIVE AF. HUNGRY to win. We can’t have guys angry at hockey, questioning if they wanna play, soft on pucks, not drive  to fight for pucks. We need that.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I agree to some extent. I do think Kuzmenko could be successful In playoff hockey. I don’t think physicality or dishing out hits will be his calling card. But I do think he has the hunger and drive to fight through the battles and get to those hard areas he lives in to score in the playoffs. I am hoping he comes into this camp stronger and more conditioned because it could really make a huge difference in his sustained success in the league or even hitting a higher level then he showed us last year. 

we are coming into next year with a lot of IFs which I don’t love.

- IF OEL has a solid summer and rebounds from last year

- IF BOESER has a solid summer and comes into camp hungry and motivated and rebounds

- IF KUZMENKO doesn’t have a drop off 

- IF MIKEHYEV knee rehab goes well and he comes into camp ready 

- IF HRONEK fits in and is the impact dman we need

- IF PODKOLZIN takes a step and finds some consistency to his game

- IF HOGLANDER spent enough time in the AHL and is ready to be an NHL regular 

- IF SPENCER MARTIN can be our back up, does Silovs push for it earlier than expected?

- IF BEAR takes a step, or just what we saw last year is who he is

- IF DEMKO can stay healthy with the game load he will probably have to ply to be a playoff team

then the offseason ifs

- IF we acquire a LHD that can kill penalties

- IF we acquire a 3C that can kill penalties and match up

- IF we move money out 2 of: MYERS/GARLAND/BOESER/OEL/BEAUVILLIER 

- IF we acquire another RHD for our bottom pairing or for Hughes 

whole lot of IFs 

I agree I want guys ready for war. But I just want guys ready to compete. for kuzmenko that could be the hunger to score and to win puck battles. I do think you can be a competitor, hungry guy without hits. Not a common formula but Kuzmenko could be an effective playoff player especially when playing with petey and a forechecking winger.

i do want our roster to have guys in roles that fit their skill sets. This is what I’m hoping for most and I do feel they are building towards that. 

and same with boeser I don’t expect hits from him. But I do want him sealing guys off, winning puck and board battles. He was actually quite effective at this and it’s beyond pond hockey level effort. But either way I’m rooting for him to rebound and if it turns into a better trade for us I’d be really happy. 

we have far too many ifs to confidently say we will be a playoff team even if they acquire a 3C and a LHD to kill penalties. Really curious how our draft and off season goes, equally curious / nervous lol 

im with you though I. The sense we have to have a team that’s COMPETITIVE AF. HUNGRY to win. We can’t have guys angry at hockey, questioning if they wanna play, soft on pucks, not drive  to fight for pucks. We need that.

I whole heartedly agree on the "if's". 

I also agree on the part about guys who don't necessarily hit but compete hard. Where I diverge is somebody needs to hit other than Miller. 

Our top 6 is 

Kuzz Pete Brock

Beau Miller Garland

We can't win with a collective 3 hits a game from our top 6. Unfortunately there isn't a compete stat, I would consider penalties drawn a good indicator though where Pete and Garland are 2 of the best. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I whole heartedly agree on the "if's". 

I also agree on the part about guys who don't necessarily hit but compete hard. Where I diverge is somebody needs to hit other than Miller. 

Our top 6 is 

Kuzz Pete Brock

Beau Miller Garland

We can't win with a collective 3 hits a game from our top 6. Unfortunately there isn't a compete stat, I would consider penalties drawn a good indicator though where Pete and Garland are 2 of the best. 

That cannot be our top 6 and it won't be even with those guys last year RT wont deploy like that.

Wont work at all. Agree to that!

Speaking on Boeser though, I will be hard on him because hes paid millions of dollars and needs to have a good offseason. Storying on IG him playing beer pong with buddies then missing dad right after isn't what I wanna see if I am the canucks management, or as a fan.

I like Petey storying the gym at least, like im in here working even if hes taking personal time too.

Boeser doest really have the luxury of drinking and relaxing. And if he does a little now maybe be discreet about it. My opinion.

We will see what he does but I was hoping he'd go into the summer hungry to work..

52 minutes ago, R3aL said:

That cannot be our top 6 and it won't be even with those guys last year RT wont deploy like that.

I mean sure. We can sprinkle in some Di Guiseppe, Dries, Aman, Mikheyev, Hoglander and call it a top 11. Maybe throw a lil Lekkerimaki in the mix now we're cookin? A dash Kravtsov, and a pinch of Lafreniere otta do it!

Where are they going with this? Realistically IMO you have to strip it to it's bear bones. 

Kuzz Pete XXXX

Hog Miller XXXX

Mik XXXX Pod

Dakota Aman XXXX

Hughes XXXX

OEL Hronek

XXXX Myers 

This is a fine template there is just so much redundancy. 

Edited by hammertime

• 2 weeks later...

l

On 5/27/2023 at 1:54 PM, hammertime said:

I mean sure. We can sprinkle in some Di Guiseppe, Dries, Aman, Mikheyev, Hoglander and call it a top 11. Maybe throw a lil Lekkerimaki in the mix now we're cookin? A dash Kravtsov, and a pinch of Lafreniere otta do it!

Where are they going with this? Realistically IMO you have to strip it to it's bear bones. 

Kuzz Pete XXXX

Hog Miller XXXX

Mik XXXX Pod

Dakota Aman XXXX

Hughes XXXX

OEL Hronek

XXXX Myers 

This is a fine template there is just so much redundancy. 

who would you fill in those top 2 RW spots with via trade or FA? Foligno? Anderson?

With the Cup Final firmly underway, the offseason has already kicked off and the vultures are flying around our cap-strapped Canucks team.  My guess is that this will put to rest any speculation or proposals in which Garland is a trade asset.  

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/jets-pierre-luc-dubois-rockets-to-no-1-on-latest-trade-targets-board

Scoop: The Canucks are in salary cap jail and they know it. The rest of their summer plans cannot be enacted until they free up salary cap space, and they’ve been actively checking prices on Garland as their preference to move to alleviate their cap concerns. Garland, who played for Rick Tocchet in Arizona, is a scrappy but undersized winger who has struggled to find a comfortable fit in the Lower Mainland. With three years left at nearly $5 million, will a team take a flier? He’s essentially a free asset, as the Canucks have found teams that are asking for assets in return to take him off their hands.

So this leaves us with two options: bite the bullet and pay to get rid of him, or shift over and shop out Beauvilier/Boeser instead.  Personally, I think Garland is criminally underrated here in Vancouver.  He plays a very tenacious game and works hard to win the puck, both offensively and defensively.  His 5v5 metrics look incredibly strong - given the right environment, there's no reason he shouldn't bounce back.  The problem is that he simply hasn't fit in well with the team.  He keeps moving up and down the line in a bad way.  If he's to live up to his contract, it probably won't be here.

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text

• Cheers 4

But really, this shouldn't surprise anyone. Any GM worth their salt is gonna try and make life difficult for us regarding our cap scenario, why take on 3x4.95 for free if you can bend Vancouver over a barrel? 

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Paying to get rid of Garland is ridiculous.  

Once the cap starts to move back up he regains + value.  Legitimate very good 5v5 player despite playing on disastrous teams for his whole career.  

If we move him and *pay* to do so it’s a terrible move.

He’s a Smurf who contributes very little to winning. (Pun intended:)

He can’t PK because he’s too slow and small and he can’t PP for the same reasons and he can’t shoot. He’s just another Benning stain. 

Don't pay to get rid of anyone.

Let their contracts expire.

Probably Boeser that goes because it's actually not a terrible idea to take a flyer on him if your someone else. He's not a cap liability long term. There's a very good chance that someone will take him (If I had cap space I would). And given the lack of power on the Canucks side due to their cap problem, said team can likely get him for a bag of pucks.

And this will likely bite the Canucks in the ass as in this situation, he likely will rebound.

And hopefully, through this hard way, will the Canucks learn their lesson about managing the cap and trying to "win now".

• Cheers 2

To do anything of significance two of Garland/Beau/Brock gotta go. There really isn’t another formula. 
Can’t get rid of OEL, Myer’s buyout timing pretty much guarantees soonest we move him is deadline if at all. 
Can’t move on from the IR players. 
Only other option is one of the big contracts the PA signed, JTM. Kuz, Mik and don’t think that is happening. 
This is why have been saying we will trade next years first to move out some cap this off-season.  The owner has given his orders, playoffs now, the future is the next GMs problem if we don’t get to playoffs soon. 

• There it is 1

This doesn’t really surprise me, either.  

Garland has a significant ( if, imo, fair ) cap hit for 3 more seasons. 15 mil worth of cap is just a huge commitment under the current situation. 

The higher ceiling guy in Boeser or the 1 year guy in Beau were always the ones way easier to move. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He’s a Smurf who contributes very little to winning. (Pun intended:)

He can’t PK because he’s too slow and small and he can’t PP for the same reasons and he can’t shoot. He’s just another Benning stain. 

Let's get something out of the way: Conor Garland is a good player.  If he goes to another team I highly suspect he will play good top six minutes and have stable production.  Despite having no defined role on this team, he's put up okay numbers.  He's just not a great fit here and is therefore overpaid.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1