The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Jan. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Harold Drunken said:

I mean, covid definitely has an affect when players are missing games. I just don't see your logic that covid is the be all end all of all and is the only reason for this teams struggles - in reality there's many things at play. Your blaming all the struggles on covid? Noting to do with coaching, scheme, individual struggles, lack of offense etc.....all covid? The fact that Pettersson despite playing all 44 games somehow his struggles are because of covid? Just seems like a crazy way of thinking. 

I am not talking about the beginning of the season; just the last month. I didn't hear any Covid excuses in the Green era to start the year, outside of the Hamonic antivax Sh!tshow.

The main reason the Canucks play has trailed off since before Xmas is all covid related; missing players, postponed games, etc....they couldn't stay on the roll. Momentum in sports is big, and its hard when you don't play for 10+ days OR miss core players for 5 games bc of protocols. So yes, it isn't an excuse, its actually reality.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

It was TG and then covid. 

Under BB, we are going at a 112 pt pace (with enough of a sample size and having gone through covid issues) so you'd have to be a fool to think this team isnt a playoff team. 

I didnt realize many teams had to start their 4th string goalie during covid. What teams were they? 

How about missing 4 of your top 6 forwards because of covid including your top 2 centres. Which teams are those?

Edit. 

Sorry that came out harsh

I blame TG more than covid. 

The hole he dug was too deep

Lol all good, I 100% agree missing players due to Covid most certainly has and had an effect on this team. Missing the likes of Demko, Bo, Boeser, Miller and Garland will obviously hurt. But this team has also played some very poor games with them in the lineup (not so much lately). We still struggle to score goals and our blue line doesn't contribute  (Schenn did last night, by the way has our last 2 goals from a defenseman?). We are 28th in the league in scoring and can't do it with much consistency, that to me is a byproduct of more than just Covid. Bruce has them playing the best they've played in a long time, especially defensively but we need to figure out a way to give our goalies more goal support, as it stands this team has a 12% chance of making the playoffs, and that's not 100% Covid's fault is my point. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

8 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Lol all good, I 100% agree missing players due to Covid most certainly has and had an effect on this team. Missing the likes of Demko, Bo, Boeser, Miller and Garland will obviously hurt. But this team has also played some very poor games with them in the lineup (not so much lately). We still struggle to score goals and our blue line doesn't contribute  (Schenn did last night, by the way has our last 2 goals from a defenseman?). We are 28th in the league in scoring and can't do it with much consistency, that to me is a byproduct of more than just Covid. Bruce has them playing the best they've played in a long time, especially defensively but we need to figure out a way to give our goalies more goal support, as it stands this team has a 12% chance of making the playoffs, and that's not 100% Covid's fault is my point. 

I think it all depends on how you look at it. 

One could argue that we are a really good team because under BB we are still winning games while our stars besides Miller are putting up historically low numbers. These are guys that are young who should be peaking in the next few years, not aging vets on the downward of their career. 

Like where would this team be if Petey is back to his near point per game pace instead of half a pt/gm

Add to that, Brock is below 0.6 pts per game when traditionally he's been 0.8-0.9.

Same for Horvat. Lowest numbers in years. 

The team is collectively snake bitten. 

They are overthinking it because they're used to expecting more out of themselves. So we see an extra pass, we see trying to be too perfect with the shot and missing the net. 

We've gone 20 games (1/4 season) under BB and are 12-4-4 with the team being carried by our goalie, bottom 6 and Miller. 

I do think goals will start coming in bunches soon. These guys are too good to stay in a season long slump. 

Whats great is that if the scoring touch comes back, hopefully our team defence stays the same and we start winning 4-1 instead of 2-1