The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JR's 2022 Moves ~ (Proposals)

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

not sure how likely these are, or if COL needs Garland but it is an interesting option if by moving him we can keep Miller. 

Yes and Miller > Garland

And if we are moving Miller, why keep Garland anyways?

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

What I think maybe could possibly happen, just for fun

to NJ - Connor Garland and Luke Schenn

to VAN - Ty Smith, Tomas Tatar and 2nd

to NYR - JT Miller

to VAN - Filip Chytil, Nils Lundqvist and 1st

to MIN - Brock Boeser

to VAN - Jordan Greenway and Carson Lambos

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

to NYR - JT Miller

to MIN - Brock Boeser

You seriously put those trades up for fun?

Laugh Laughing GIF by Captain Obvious

Probably as good as mine!

Friends Joey GIF - Friends Joey I Dont Know GIFs

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok, let's here your reasoning.............

Garland is young enough, under a good contract, and with term, that he can certainly contribute to the early part of the young core's window in 2+ years. 

Moving Miller is not some death knell to the roster. We can still be a bubble playoff team, heading in to that window. 

Now saying that, I'm not opposed to a Garland trade in theory, depending on the return though.

But "why keep Garland if we move Miller"... Come on.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Colorado have Kadri who will be UFA after this season.  They are very unlikely to put money in wing when they have a far more important position to pay.  MacKinnon is also up a season after.  Colorado entering a serious cap crunch.  

Friedman thinks their target is Giroux for this TDL but isn’t sure they can even make it work as they are completely cap strapped - cost a 4th or 5th round pick to use a 3rd team in previous seasons so cap could be only 2M and that’s still a hard fit.  

LA went into a rebuild to get prospects and aren’t even serious contenders.  They need to plan for their post-Doughty so wouldn’t expect them to part with D-prospects just yet.  

Edmonton not willing to give up a 2nd when they were losing games and now they've added Kane.  They probably think they’ll outscore their goalie issues and doubt they want that 1.5M bonus on their books next season.  Vancouver has a back-to-back this week.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

to NYR - JT Miller

to MIN - Brock Boeser

The Wild have the buyouts for Parise/Suter that increase by 8M next season and again by 2M a season later.  They will have 13 to 15M on their books for the coming 3 seasons.  Boeser is not having a good season and his lack of speed is apparent.  Can’t see the Wild having interest in a winger and they don’t even have the cap space anyway. 

3 hours ago, mll said:

Colorado have Kadri who will be UFA after this season.  They are very unlikely to put money in wing when they have a far more important position to pay.  MacKinnon is also up a season after.  Colorado entering a serious cap crunch.  

Friedman thinks their target is Giroux for this TDL but isn’t sure they can even make it work as they are completely cap strapped - cost a 4th or 5th round pick to use a 3rd team in previous seasons so cap could be only 2M and that’s still a hard fit.  

LA went into a rebuild to get prospects and aren’t even serious contenders.  They need to plan for their post-Doughty so wouldn’t expect them to part with D-prospects just yet.  

Edmonton not willing to give up a 2nd when they were losing games and now they've added Kane.  They probably think they’ll outscore their goalie issues and doubt they want that 1.5M bonus on their books next season.  Vancouver has a back-to-back this week.

The Wild have the buyouts for Parise/Suter that increase by 8M next season and again by 2M a season later.  They will have 13 to 15M on their books for the coming 3 seasons.  Boeser is not having a good season and his lack of speed is apparent.  Can’t see the Wild having interest in a winger and they don’t even have the cap space anyway. 

@mll......sometimes, ya bug me!

It is not that I do not appreciate your POV, it's the god damn way ya say it! LOL

Hey, look at this way............these are the types of trades we could expect and the returns............

Someone one will be trading! Players will be moved, and teams that people do not expect to make trades will.

Also, don't put all your stock into the media so much, because some just make their $hit up.

Hey, thanks for dropping bye!

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, mll said:

I'm not so sure they cannot use help at wing?

They lost Saad & Donskoi.  Jost is playing wing, and not that well. O'Connor & Newhook look like they have a future. Are not there yet nor producing at a championship level.

Colorado picked up winger Aube Kubel OFF WAIVERS! Outside the top 6 he's their most physical fwd? Followed by JT Compher who ain't any bigger than Garland.  

I believe they could desperately use Miller or Garland. 

And I know he's a lefty, I'd be asking for Byram!

Pay for it, capwise anyway, by not re-signing Burakovsky who is also their own rental.  

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@mll......sometimes, ya bug me!

It is not that I do not appreciate your POV, it's the god damn way ya say it! LOL

Hey, look at this way............these are the types of trades we could expect and the returns............

Someone one will be trading! Players will be moved, and teams that people do not expect to make trades will.

Also, don't put all your stock into the media so much, because some just make their $hit up.

Hey, thanks for dropping bye!

Janis nobody saw JBs deal coming last summer, the fear of cap was palpable, all season he said no big deal "we don't have cap issues" - one fell swoop it was gone, Edler was replaced and we got Garland - who's worth a lottery ticket.   Plus we've all seen lopsided trades - recently and in the past so any trade is actually possible.    Likelihood for sure is a different story the poster does like to make sure we all get that lol.  But this sort of stuff happens often enough, how many times did JB come from left field with something nobody considered out of all his bigger trades? 

Zinbenjad for a cap dump and a second.   That one sticks out in my mind as somewhat recent and before anyone looks at the stats - anyone who's watched him in OTT isn't that surprised to see his next level.    Lumme/Butcher we could sure use some Quin magic right now. 

Garland to me is a keeper.    And yes teams have called on him.   Doesn't get the primo minutes, yet produces anyways.   Pest as well, i don't care a lick about his size - he's high skill and very good 5 x 5.    Exactly what your hoping for with his cap hit and we've got him for the entirety of his prime.    Doubt he will decline given how hard he's had to work for it.     Agree Miller > Garland - plays a more important position, but also wouldn't be surprised to see Garland lead the team in scoring if he had 4 minutes a night on the first unit either.     

Feel it's either got to be one of BB, Miller, Horvat or Garland though and maybe that's the right route.    Return absolutely matters.   If we could get a lottery ticket out of him and a decent D prospect it would be hard to so no too IF that meant we can sign the rest...  

A bird in hand is better then two in the bush for sure when it comes to these guys, Bieksa comments about ripping the heart and soul from a team is an intangible worth considering - but if that heart and soul doesn't intend to stay ... or only will with a massive overpayment ... Do we really want to see grouchy Miller for 8 years if this goes South?  Or make the space and watch him walk anyways not really.   To me those are the worry wart points anyways.  

As fans we have no idea what's going on behind closed doors.    Miller, Garland, Brock Boeser and Motte are all rumoured to have teams kicking tires about.   Thanks for making a non-Miller trade thread.    This one's pretty good! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

They lost Saad & Donskoi.  Jost is playing wing, and not that well. O'Connor & Newhook look like they have a future. Are not there yet nor producing at a championship level.

Colorado picked up winger Aube Kubel OFF WAIVERS! Outside the top 6 he's their most physical fwd? Followed by JT Compher who ain't any bigger than Garland.  

Pay for it, capwise anyway, by not re-signing Burakovsky who is also their own rental.  

COL is for sure at their peak window this year and the following one.   After that like CHI - they are going to have to start trading away players, and working on trying to win more like TO has - with a cap heavy team.    McKinnon isn't taking much of a discount given what Rantanen is getting.    And with Vegas loaded up with Eichel coming in soon .... well they won't have it easy getting out of the West despite their awesome record this season.   Vegas is built for the playoffs.  

With Kadri playing himself into his own monster sized deal, maybe Miller is the best stop-gap for them to go for it as well.   We need to retain, but with retention, Miller would definitely improve their next two playoff hopes.    A cup would make them forget about losing almost anyone on their team.    NYR did this - and it worked (sad for us), lost better players in the long term but nobody cares.    McKinnon also just broke his face.    Byram sure would be nice for us .... 

Edit: McKinnon is his generations Tavares.   Tavares was a top player (not as good as NM, but still pretty awesome) playing on bad teams ... for 5ish million ... which was a huge discount.    He cashed out.   So will McKinnon despite what he's said - very likely will be the highest player in the NHL...

Edited by IBatch

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Colorado has no cap space - they can't add without removing from their current roster.  They just had to recall Dylan Sykura on emergency roster exception where his cap hit doesn't count against the cap.

As for next season Burakovsky is probably not back but the way Kadri is playing that space freed up could well go entirely to his cap hit if they find a way to extend him (+ a cheap replacement for Burakovsky).  Kadri is 4th in points per game in the entire league with 59 in 40 games and plays a more critical position than wing.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Colorado has no cap space - they can't add without removing from their current roster.  They just had to recall Dylan Sykura on emergency roster exception where his cap hit doesn't count against the cap.

As for next season Burakovsky is probably not back but the way Kadri is playing that space freed up could well go entirely to his cap hit if they find a way to extend him (+ a cheap replacement for Burakovsky).  Kadri is 4th in points per game in the entire league with 59 in 40 games and plays a more critical position than wing.

Of course COL can jam Miller in at 50% retained - and let Kadri walk ... and of course it would cost them something too.   They've got plenty of guys other teams would be happy to have on their team as well.   Would cost them.   What's one crack at a cup worth compared to two?  

29 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

how much cap space does JR want, 5 mil, 10 mil?

boeser makes the most sense, his contract today and his next contract.

That's a simple solution.   Maybe the best one too.   Smithers i miss the days when we didn't know how much these guys made and didn't have to think about it.  

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Of course COL can jam Miller in at 50% retained - and let Kadri walk ... and of course it would cost them something too.   They've got plenty of guys other teams would be happy to have on their team as well.   Would cost them.   What's one crack at a cup worth compared to two?  

They don't have the cap space to add for this season without removing a player from their roster.  They most certainly aren't trading Kadri before the playoffs.  

If they had cap space they wouldn't be allowed to use roster emergency exception - this allows to bring up someone without him counting against the cap.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

That's a simple solution.   Maybe the best one too.   Smithers i miss the days when we didn't know how much these guys made and didn't have to think about it.  

problem, we all have players we don't want to lose but are willing to move others. i think some of us will be disappointed.

ruthy feels the mix is wrong. we have good players but they aren't the right match for success.

we have to trust them to make our team over-all better.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1