The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JR's 2022 Moves ~ (Proposals)

6 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

problem, we all have players we don't want to lose but are willing to move others. i think some of us will be disappointed.

ruthy feels the mix is wrong. we have good players but they aren't the right match for success.

we have to trust them to make our team over-all better.

I agree.

And sometimes you have to make trades that are not exactly even or fair or even a good deal, just to be able to restructure they way you would like.

Make one here and two more there and pay a bit of a price to build it properly.

If we go off the rails and fall out of the race, not looking good, etc, then management can make some deals that open up cap and roster flexibility without having to worry too much about this year's team's success. 

You don't want to blow it up and ruin the great spirit of this team, but several changes might be necessary.

Also, there are a lot of teams that do not want to pony up the big bucks renewing overpaid deals on older players.

I believe a lot of seasoned pros are going to have to take less than their last deal.

So some of our guys may be open to taking less to get a decent contract with this team.

Some other teams are going 'to let so-and-so walk for nothing'; those UFAs may be well-advised to rein in expectations.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Garland             to             Colorado                for                 Barrons (RHD) and 2022 1st

I love Garland as much as the next person, and he has plenty of fight, but as much I do, his cap allows us to keep Miller, and re-sign Boeser, as well as grabbing Barrons and a late 1st. Colorado does this, as Garland is a none stop work horse, that can produce even strength points. Sorry, hate to see him go, but it is the easiest move to keep Miller. Now this is all predicated on Miller saying he wants to stay to JR. If not, Miller goes too!

Motte                 to              LA                         for                 Helge Grans (RHD 6'3" 206 lbs  drafted 2020 - 35 OA)

Again, I love Motte, but with him being a UFA at the end of the season, and Lockwood looking like he can play up here, I say move him now. I am tired of guys walking away for nothing, and his ask will be a minimum of what Dickenson is getting and probably a Million more. Sell now and recoup some asset. He will be loved in LA. Grans is a high 2nd round pick, who has been playing pretty good in the AHL and LA has an abundance of maturing RHD. Let's get him before he costs too much.

Halak                 to              Edmonton             for                 2022 2nd and  2022 5th

I am not sold on the fact that Halak has passed on Edmonton, and in fact, I believe he would look at it as a possible place to end his career with. Hey, If we are moving players, lets move Halak and see if Spencer Martin can give us more of the Nice  as he did when he came for a visit! I also think that if Halak considers that the Canucks are taking a possible step back, he might be just as happy to be moved late in his career.

Anyways.....that is my thoughts, and idea's. Wasn't it refreshing to to see another Miller trade!

Cheers!

Nice to see a proposal not including Miller.

Not saying they are as good, but they do cover some of out concerns... Nice one Jan 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

problem, we all have players we don't want to lose but are willing to move others. i think some of us will be disappointed.

ruthy feels the mix is wrong. we have good players but they aren't the right match for success.

we have to trust them to make our team over-all better.

Well said.  Get we are both excited and nervous at the same time ... maybe just let these big brained folks do the math.   

6 hours ago, mll said:

Colorado has no cap space - they can't add without removing from their current roster.  They just had to recall Dylan Sykura on emergency roster exception where his cap hit doesn't count against the cap.

As for next season Burakovsky is probably not back but the way Kadri is playing that space freed up could well go entirely to his cap hit if they find a way to extend him (+ a cheap replacement for Burakovsky).  Kadri is 4th in points per game in the entire league with 59 in 40 games and plays a more critical position than wing.

Which would make a suggestion of, say, Giroux, even more remote.  And it is a factor.

There is 2/3rds of the contract gone for the year, retention, 3rd parties, odds are someone will be on IR; heaps of scenario's.  They might smooth out speedbumps. Cap might be a true roadblock.  I fully expect them to be interested, and investigating all such options. And hope we are!

17 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Which would make a suggestion of, say, Giroux, even more remote.  And it is a factor.

There is 2/3rds of the contract gone for the year, retention, 3rd parties, odds are someone will be on IR; heaps of scenario's.  They might smooth out speedbumps. Cap might be a true roadblock.  I fully expect them to be interested, and investigating all such options. And hope we are!

Take back Compher and retain $1m on a Miller deal and it's almost cap neutral. There's ways to make it worth if they're interested (and one would assume they are/should be).

Sometimes some users have trouble seeing past what is, to what could be :lol:

56 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Which is what was noted when Friedman says he wasn't sure they could make the cap work.  Giroux could be had for 2M by using a 3rd team.  

The NHL investigates all LTIR cases - they've apparently tightened the process. 

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Take back Compher and retain $1m on a Miller deal and it's almost cap neutral. There's ways to make it worth if they're interested (and one would assume they are/should be).

Garland was the asset offered up - not Miller.   Trading Gompher for a winger creates a hole at C and he's one of their top PKers.  Garland also has 4 years left to his deal when they have Kadri up at the end of the season + they also have MacKinnon a year later.   

One of the objectives listed by Rutherford is to create cap space.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'd take Compher, Byram and a 1st! Not a righty but otherwise the ideal mix actually...

53 minutes ago, mll said:

Garland was the asset offered up - not Miller.   Trading Gompher for a winger creates a hole at C and he's one of their top PKers.  Garland also has 4 years left to his deal when they have Kadri up at the end of the season + they also have MacKinnon a year later.   

Sorry, thought surfer and I were talking about Miller. Miller and Compher's deals line up perfectly.

53 minutes ago, mll said:

One of the objectives listed by Rutherford is to create cap space.

That would create cap space. Miller $1m retained minus Compher would save about $700k. 

Rutherford isn't going to clear millions in one trade. He's going to have to whittle away at it, $500k-$1m at a time.