Canucks Community

[Proposals] Miller and Garland both traded

HKSR

On 1/31/2022 at 10:22 AM, HKSR said:

MIN receives JT Miller

VAN receives Matthew Boldy, Jordan Greenway, 1st round pick

NYR receives:  Conor Garland

VAN receives:  Braden Schneider, 2nd round pick

As JR has mentioned, he wants to get younger and gain cap flexibility while adding picks and prospects.

The above trades do both.  5 solid assets for the 2 players going out.  Boldy is a helluva player, 9pts in 9 NHL games.  Greenway adds some much needed snarl to the 3rd line.  Schneider is the key RHD prospect the Canucks need so badly.

Boeser-Petey-Boldy

Pearson-Bo-Hoglander

Greenway-Dickinson-Podz

Motte-Lamikko-Highmore

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Schneider

Schenn-Poolman

I've offered many options for Miller and Garland but the more I think about it, the more uncomfortable I am with moving either. Miller has become our top player and Garland is proving to be a very valuable winger on this team and is on a great contract.

I love Braden Schneider's potential and in a short stint with The Rangers, he didn't disappoint, pretty much showing what I thought he'd be. A sizey, physical, reliable, complimentary defender who will put up modest point totals (thirty or so). I see him as a great fit with QH.

I would be interested to see if they might be open to Brock Boeser.

1 minute ago, komodo0921 said:

I've offered many options for Miller and Garland but the more I think about it, the more uncomfortable I am with moving either. Miller has become our top player and Garland is proving to be a very valuable winger on this team and is on a great contract.

I love Braden Schneider's potential and in a short stint with The Rangers, he didn't disappoint, pretty much showing what I thought he'd be. A sizey, physical, reliable, complimentary defender who will put up modest point totals (thirty or so). I see him as a great fit with QH.

I would be interested to see if they might be open to Brock Boeser.

I'm with you on that.  My preference is to keep this core together.  They've shown for 2 solid months that they can play .700 hockey.  Why we would dump our best player is beyond me... but it's fun to make up trade proposals.  That's why I do it lol

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If you have Horvat as 1C on the Canucks, and can bring in Mark Stone... do you do it?

What does Fiala (a non-centre) have to do with this?  We all know strength down the middle is vital in the playoffs.  Guerin can repeat all he wants, but when he faces Vegas with Eichel, Karlsson, and Stephenson down the middle, or the Avs with Mackinnon, Rantanen, and Kadri down the middle, he'll eat his words.

Like you said, Ek is a shutdown centre on a shutdown line.  That's fine, then that means the other line is their 2nd scoring line.  The 2nd scoring line has Gaudreau as their centre?  I think you know that they need centre help.  Using Gaudreau and Rau to round out your other 2 pivot positions is suicidal for the playoffs, especially when your other scoring centre is not even that strong.

That's what I wrote.  Ideally they find a better C for that Fiala-Boldy line.  Russo wonders if they won't look at Pavelski or Giroux and doesn't think that Miller would work for the TDL.  Guerin might not want to pay much so maybe just a defensively responsible C that leaves the puck handling to Fiala/Boldy.  

They don't need a C for the Kaprizov line though.  

Eichel completely lost his cool last time he played against Ek. 

Edited by mll

2 minutes ago, mll said:

That's what I wrote.  Ideally they find a better C for that Fiala-Boldy line.  Russo wonders if they won't look at Pavelski or Giroux and doesn't think that Miller would work for the TDL.  Guerin might not want to pay much so maybe just a defensively responsible C that leaves the puck handling to Fiala/Boldy.  

They don't need a C for the Kaprizov line though.  

Eichel completely lost his cool last time he played against Ek. 

Well yeah, he didn't exactly have much help on Buffalo lol.  I'm thinking Eichel will have a bit more support in Vegas ;)

Guerin will have to decide if he feels his roster could compete with Vegas or the Avs... I don't see it without adding another impact centre.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I'm with you on that.  My preference is to keep this core together.  They've shown for 2 solid months that they can play .700 hockey.  Why we would dump our best player is beyond me... but it's fun to make up trade proposals.  That's why I do it lol

Honestly, when one looks at what they've done since the management and bench changes; Would it be unrealistic to hold tight and see what happens next season?

The only big issue this off-season is the Boeser situation and his value.

Moving an offensive, support winger for a support defender shouldn't be too big a thing to get over.

A 12-4 record at the start of a season looks much better then in the middle of one.