The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Predators / Tuesday, Feb. 1/22 @ 5:00 pm PT

Rate this topic

-DLC-

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

There’s no reason why this team shouldn’t have had a top 10 powerplay.

Imagine the difference that would make if they could get rolling.

Needless to say going 0 for tonight doesn’t help their chances.

Of a number of compelling statistics from this season, this one is perhaps the most perplexing. 

To me, it only stands to reason that the teams who receive the most power plays must also be those forcing opponents to react to extended puck possession, to the creation of scoring chances, overall dominance 5 v 5. You know, the way an offensive juggernaut might be characterized.

I've yet to read or hear an analysis of 2022 Canucks that suggests that this is the case. What of this seeming anomaly then? Could the opposition possibly be that uniformly dismissive of our PP? It doesn't seem like this could be the case. A statistical fluke that will correct itself? 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Of a number of compelling statistics from this season, this one is perhaps the most perplexing. 

To me, it only stands to reason that the teams who receive the most power plays must also be those forcing opponents to react to extended puck possession, to the creation of scoring chances, overall dominance 5 v 5. You know, the way an offensive juggernaut might be characterized.

I've yet to read or hear an analysis of 2022 Canucks that suggests that this is the case. What of this seeming anomaly then? Could the opposition possibly be that uniformly dismissive of our PP? It doesn't seem like this could be the case. A statistical fluke that will correct itself? 

image.jpeg.b31cf6ca0a9b832f97241407efe8864c.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, zimmy said:

I honestly find the most perplexing to be our scoring from 2019/20 to this year.  We have all of our top producers from that year, plus a ton more offensively known forwards like Garland, Hoglander, and I guess you could say Podkolzin all that we would say are quite significant upgrades from what we had then, yet we went from the 9th highest scoring team in expected goals/60 that year to 23rd this year at 5 on 5.  It also makes even a bigger difference when we had better finishing that year.  This year we currently sit at 0.52 goals less per game than expected.  That means that we should have scored 24 more goals this season at 5 on 5 alone if we had average finishing.  Compare that to 2019/20 where we scored 0.26 goals above expected per game.  It's something so perplexing that it's almost unbelievable.  Are goalies just consistently playing way better against specifically us than anyone else?  Cause that's what the numbers point to.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

I honestly find the most perplexing to be our scoring from 2019/20 to this year.  We have all of our top producers from that year, plus a ton more offensively known forwards like Garland, Hoglander, and I guess you could say Podkolzin all that we would say are quite significant upgrades from what we had then, yet we went from the 9th highest scoring team in expected goals/60 that year to 23rd this year at 5 on 5.  It also makes even a bigger difference when we had better finishing that year.  This year we currently sit at 0.52 goals less per game than expected.  That means that we should have scored 24 more goals this season at 5 on 5 alone if we had average finishing.  Compare that to 2019/20 where we scored 0.26 goals above expected per game.  It's something so perplexing that it's almost unbelievable.  Are goalies just consistently playing way better against specifically us than anyone else?  Cause that's what the numbers point to.

Or the nucks are missing that crash the net mentality and look to make fancy perimeter plays.

41 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Slumping Pettersson and Boeser, particularly early this season, are probably the biggest culprits.