The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I think Miller will be traded and why Canuck fans will be somewhat disappointed with the return.

Rate this topic

nameci

On 2/1/2022 at 9:27 AM, nameci said:

While Canuck fans are thinking Schneider, Chytl and a first is a fair return, I think the Rangers will be unwilling to part with Schneider or even Lundquist in a trade.

And you’re basing this on what, exactly?

Rangers have Fox and Trouba signed for years. One of Schneider or Lundqvist has to go at some point. 

Good prospects get traded for top players regularly. Jones, Kuemper and friggin Ristolainen all got at least a solid prospect or young player and a 1st round pick, and a 2nd!  And they only had 1 year until UFA. Miller at this deadline, with 2 playoff runs at a cheap cap hit for the receiving team, is worth considerably more than Kuemper or Ristolainen.

Edited by D-Money
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Horvat is 2 years younger than Miller and our Captain, Boeser is 4 years younger and contract is up after this year. Giving Bo 8 years is the equivalent of giving Miller 6 years age wise. 

Wait, captains never ever get traded? :shock:

Way to ignore key points I made such as playmaking declining at a slower rate or that Bo himself, already tired of losing, may choose to walk in free agency rather than wait until his 30's to even see a light at the end of the competitive tunnel.

33 minutes ago, Baggins said:

We don't. But he could simply wait for his QO and accept it. Then leave it to management/agent to set the term on that $7.5m salary offer. If he's not re-signed before the QO is needed to retain his rights that is the risk. It brings up the question: how honorable do you believe him to be when it comes to his contract? I'm honestly not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that he's not having a very good season.

It's going to be interesting to see how all of this plays out through to summer 2023.

We could also take him to arbitration.

Personally, I don't think it hurts us that he's had an off year. Could be a blessing in disguise.

18 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Wait, captains never ever get traded? :shock:

Way to ignore key points I made such as playmaking declining at a slower rate or that Bo himself, already tired of losing, may choose to walk in free agency rather than wait until his 30's to even see a light at the end of the competitive tunnel.

Why does he need to wait 4 years to see light? We can still be a bubble team the next couple years as new management builds the contender they've already told us is the plan to do.

meh i'd inquire about getting lafrenier or kakko out of the rangers on top of schneider if it means we trade miller eat half his cap on top of having to add picks or prospect. Lafrenier is starting to look better and better, have great vision and playmaking ability just not much confidence in his shot like EP right now. i think Kakko is worth more than the 1st rounder coming back from rangers if we end up trading with them. the 1st rounder is going to be a really late one based on the standing. i think Kakko struggle had to do with his former coach Quinn trying to force him to play simple.. dump the puck in and chase.. kinda like Green's system.. Kakko have all the skill to be agressive taking on skaters but his coach just wants him to make the simple play dump and chase and be back in ur position.. so a change of scenery along with an offensive minded coach could fix him.. we technically don't need a center back unless we can magically get rid of dickenson anyways.

Like it or not, it's more than likely that the team's best player will be traded at the TDL.  JT will be sorely missed and not just in points.  By now, we have discussed ad nauseam the various characteristics and skills he brings to the Canucks.  My ambivalence in trading JT is what comes back in return.  My impression is that Vancouver will get a prospect and pics for him.  These young players will take 3-5 years before they make an impression on the team.

I will be very disappointed if the trade does not include a young NHL player that has some upside.  Guys that can help the team right away, like Jeannot, Kupari, Kunim, Chytil, Necas.  One of these players, a valued prospect and maybe a 1st round pic would do it.

Don't like trading JT, would rather trade Brock.  It's at the GMs pleasure.  Maybe he will trade both and Garland as well. 

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

And you’re basing this on what, exactly?

Rangers have Fox and Trouba signed for years. One of Schneider or Lundqvist has to go at some point. 

The issue is that Schneider is playing games for the Rangers on the 3rd pairing (2nd now that Fox is out). 

So unless Rangers have something else in the pipeline, I don't see them losing an important d-man to try and improve up front. 

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

Supposedly the Bruins are interested in Garland and the Canucks are interested in Lysell. 

Lysell and a first?      Or just Lysell and cap space?

We would probably have to take Jake DeBrusk back (upcoming RFA). 

Lysell and DeBrusk for Garland?  

At this point I want to keep Miller and trade Petey.

We need to form a tough gritty fast identity and Petey is none of those. You can never have enough skill though, there is room on any team for Calder petey.

Not 2022 Petey ... maybe jimbos drafting wasn't as good as we thought. 

Ugh, and the way he held out for more money and missed camp

Not a fan of EP40 right now

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs

25 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

The issue is that Schneider is playing games for the Rangers on the 3rd pairing (2nd now that Fox is out). 

So unless Rangers have something else in the pipeline, I don't see them losing an important d-man to try and improve up front. 

How long is Fox expected out? And until recently they had Lundqvist (aka 'something else') in the lineup.

We could also send them Schenn.

Just now, aGENT said:

How long is Fox expected out? And until recently they had Lundqvist (aka 'something else') in the lineup.

We could also send them Schenn.

I used the wrong wording ....  instead of pipeline I meant that maybe they have another deal on the side.  

If you're trying to make some noise in the playoffs, you're not going to depend on two 21 year olds.  Who knows, maybe we can pry Schneider out of them if they're going to acquire someone else like Ben Chiarot. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I used the wrong wording ....  instead of pipeline I meant that maybe they have another deal on the side.  

If you're trying to make some noise in the playoffs, you're not going to depend on two 21 year olds.  Who knows, maybe we can pry Schneider out of them if they're going to acquire someone else like Ben Chiarot. 

They have plenty of depth at D. Both roster and prospect. But they'd probably happily take a playoff hardened vet like Schenn back in a potential Miller trade (or a side trade as you noted) for depth.

What they do lack is grittier, playoff-type forwards. Especially as prospects. One of many reasons Miller is a good fit there. Assuming we can't extend him, Motte would be a good fit in that regard as well. Both teams have a LOT of pieces the other needs.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Why does he need to wait 4 years to see light? We can still be a bubble team the next couple years as new management builds the contender they've already told us is the plan to do.

I was responding to Pavel's time frame....

5 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Depends on how much the greater player wants and if he fits in the teams timeline to compete. Can we afford to give miller 8 years if we arent competitive for another 2-3 years? What happens if he Loui's us, and his game drops off at 31 years old?

In 2-3 years Bo is 29-30. Bo turns 27 in April and will be 28 when his contract expires. If he doesn't see light at the end of the tunnel do you believe he'll re-sign long term here, or will he decide to bolt to a contender and open that window himself immediately? I do see that as a possibility. Last offseason he said...

"I've been on the team, this will be my eighth year coming up, which is crazy. And I want to be in the playoffs. I don't want to go through the motions in the regular season and be done in April."

How long before his patience runs out? This is why I said previously if Miller was moved there better be something coming back that helps now as opposed to just getting future possibilities.

I think there's no rush and management just have to have a frank conversation with JT Miller and see what he wants. This season is a write-off, Green demolished the team and now we're playing catch up. We were good at the start of the Bruce era but are back to a .500 team now. I wonder what a solid off-season and full season under Bruce might bring, it'll go one of 3 ways - we're a playoff team early next season, we're a fringe playoff team or we still suck badly.

If we're a playoff team I could see Miller wanting to re-sign. If we're a fringe playoff team or still suck, I think he'd prefer to go elsewhere to be honest. What's the chances of us suddenly becoming a .650-.700 team after an off-season? Possible...

That's why I think we sit on Miller for just about a full year. 20-30 games into next season we see how he feels. If he's not happy, we shouldn't hang on to him for a late playoff push next season, we should really just flip him to a team who will drop a good roster young player + prospect + pick if that's available, otherwise I'd be happy with a former 1st round young good player and a pick.

I don't think there's any need to trade him right now unless we get a monster return back which I highly doubt. Realistically we would need a top-6 young forward, a decent prospect (ideally a defenceman who can play solid defence) and a 1st-2nd round pick, but I don't see any team dropping this. I think JR wants quantity of quality too, not just a 1-for-1 trade as we're quite bare in the cupboards.

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

In 2-3 years Bo is 29-30. Bo turns 27 in April and will be 28 when his contract expires. If he doesn't see light at the end of the tunnel do you believe he'll re-sign long term here, or will he decide to bolt to a contender and open that window himself immediately? I do see that as a possibility. Last offseason he said...

"I've been on the team, this will be my eighth year coming up, which is crazy. And I want to be in the playoffs. I don't want to go through the motions in the regular season and be done in April."

How long before his patience runs out? This is why I said previously if Miller was moved there better be something coming back that helps now as opposed to just getting future possibilities.

Well, If by 'competitive' we mean contender, IMO we're not a contender in the next couple years with, or without Miller. So it seems a moot point.

But yes we need, and I expect we'll get, ready-near ready players back.

9 hours ago, Baggins said:

Id rather he say that then say he is content not making the playoffs every year. Some teams can get complacent losing. I think Bo loves playing in Vancouver minus the losing, his goal song was Put On by Young Jeezy when they were doing them. Miller does not have as deep of ties to this organization, is older, and was traded from a team that went on to win two stanley cups right after. If he gets a good offer to play for an American contender, I think he would take it.   

On 2/3/2022 at 9:04 AM, Bure_Pavel said:

Id rather he say that then say he is content not making the playoffs every year. Some teams can get complacent losing. I think Bo loves playing in Vancouver minus the losing, his goal song was Put On by Young Jeezy when they were doing them. Miller does not have as deep of ties to this organization, is older, and was traded from a team that went on to win two stanley cups right after. If he gets a good offer to play for an American contender, I think he would take it.   

I suspect Bo has just as much risk of doing that on his next deal if who ever is move doen't bring a return with immediate impact to improve next year.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:23 AM, aGENT said:

Well, If by 'competitive' we mean contender, IMO we're not a contender in the next couple years with, or without Miller. So it seems a moot point.

But yes we need, and I expect we'll get, ready-near ready players back.

Contender is the end of the tunnel, not the light at the end. Bo is tired of missing the playoffs. I suspect if we miss next year he'll go free agency.

16 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Contender is the end of the tunnel, not the light at the end. Bo is tired of missing the playoffs. I suspect if we miss next year he'll go free agency.

I don't see why. With the right moves, we're roughly as competitive next year as we are with Miller. And FAR more competitive mid-long term.

If Horvat doesn't want to stay for that, he was never staying at all.

We keep Miller, we can't fix any of your structural and succession issues... And we actually start getting worse, not better. At best, we stay the not good enough, that we already are. 

THAT might drive him away faster actually :lol:

Edited by aGENT