The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Bad is the Cap - really?

Rate this topic

John_Guest

I don't post a lot of threads. The reason being, I don't know as much about hockey as the rest of you wizards. I don't want to embarrass myself.

So think of this as more of a bunch of questions and hopefully you can help me out.

As I understand it we have cap problems and that leads us to want to look at guys like Miller, Boeser, or even Motte for a trade.

But I look at Cap Friendly and I don't see the cap problem.

There's nothing for cap there now but isn't this the year we lose the Luongo recapture penalty?

CF says that's 3million. 

I don't understand why LTIR doesn't factor into this.

Sutter's out with a contract coming next year, so he's gone at the end of this season, right? That's a mill. 

It's pretty had to imagine Ferland coming back, so how does that work? Where does that 3.5 in cap go? Has it already been discounted?

I don't know what the situation is with Hamonic but even it he does come back, at this point why not just give him away to lose another 3 mill.

How much of that 10.5 million in cap space could we actually lose if that's what it really is?

Speaking of giving away players, I like OEL but if we're talking crappier contracts than we'd be giving Boeser, Miller or Motte, there's one. At this time he seems more like an aging competent defensive, defense man. That nice but couldn't we find one of those a lot cheaper. If we can't trade OEL could we give him away and keep his 7.2 in cap space, maybe replace him for 3 or 4?

Then there's Myers. I'm starting to like Myers but he's 6 mill in cap space. Would I trade Myers for Miller? I would. Especially if something cheaper could be found to replace him and factor in what we could get for him. So why not use what we could make from a Myers trade to give Miller a raise?

And if I'm reading Cap Friendly correctly don't we get another 2.4 million in dead cap for Virtanen and Holtby at the end of next year?

I must be missing something. They tell me Rutherford is a pretty knowledgeable hockey man and he says there's a cap problem, so what am I missing?

You can't just give away OEL or Myers. You'd have to pay a team to take on their salary, and it would leave a hole on defense as we don't have an internal replacement ready for those minutes.

Our forwards have much more trade value, so if you can get a quality return there, then it's worth doing to better our future while also creating cap room.

Funny you made this post because I just did some of this work in the Proposals forum...

Here's my take: 

Cap2025-26.jpg.4533e9a58617ddd3e46dc783ada11674.jpg

EDIT:  I'd like to see what this team is actually capable of with a fresh start to next season.  Presumably covid will be in the rearview mirror, which means Hamonic will be back playing again... that substantially improves the RHD side of the equation.  Clearly we can afford the team we have now if we believe they're the .650 or .700 hockey club they've shown in the past 2 months.

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The buyouts from the summer and the Halak bonus eat up the Luongo savings.  Ferland is on LTIR so he doesn't count.

Isn't Halak also gone at the end of this year? Do these bonuses somehow affect the cap next year? 

And yeah the Ferland thing is something I don't understand. I don't think anybody is expecting Ferland to come back between now and 2023 when his contract ends. So why does he count against the cap? Is there not even some sort of cut?

17 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

You can't just give away OEL or Myers. You'd have to pay a team to take on their salary, and it would leave a hole on defense as we don't have an internal replacement ready for those minutes.

Our forwards have much more trade value, so if you can get a quality return there, then it's worth doing to better our future while also creating cap room.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe somebody might need defensive help in the playoffs and have the money to take a risk. So future considerations for OEL and Trade for not much with Myers.

Maybe we could make an Arizona style trade with somebody else for OEL, only not give away as much as they did.

Edited by John_Guest

Here a thing I'm thinking too:

When people are talking these giveaway trades to get rid of cap on Boeser, Miller, or Motte they're talking about making moves to help next year and into the future.

I'm looking at some of the answers above and some seem to be under the misconception I'm wondering about how things are affected this season. Not the case.

As an example, if the bosses could somehow make a trade that relieved the cap hit on OEL or Myers the hope would be it would create cap space to sign the 3 forwards and find cheaper OEL and Myers replacements in the off or maybe next season.

But that's just an example to show you what I mean about into the future. I'm not locked into the OEL, Myers thing. Just something I think about.

Edited by John_Guest

9 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

Yeah, I was thinking maybe somebody might need defensive help in the playoffs and have the money to take a risk. So future considerations for OEL and Trade for not much with Myers.

Maybe we could make an Arizona style trade with somebody else for OEL, only not give away as much as they did.

The teams that are contenders and looking to add generally don't have much cap space.

Or if they do, a cap crunch is coming in the next year or two, so they wouldn't be able to afford a big salary player long term. Not unless that player was going to be part of their core, like Miller would for any team that were to acquire him.

We don't have a cap issue if you are happy with status quo. For this year. Then their will be a couple of mil of bonuses pushed to next year plus the buyout roll over of 2.4 mil. next year you will need to resign Boeser and hopefully hey can get a deal done that is around what he makes right now. So basically next year will be roughly the same team. No wiggle room to improve.

The year after you will need to resign Miler and Horvat or watch them walk away for nothing.

So, yes we have a cap issue.

53 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Ferland is on LTIR so he doesn't count.

Except he does count.

My understanding is that players on LTIR still count against the cap, but that the team is allowed to exceed the cap in order to bring in a replacement player.  So the only time LTIR comes into play is when a team is up against the cap.  Or something like that.

Just now, goalie13 said:

Except he does count.

My understanding is that players on LTIR still count against the cap, but that the team is allowed to exceed the cap in order to bring in a replacement player.  So the only time LTIR comes into play is when a team is up against the cap.  Or something like that.

That's more accurate, but given the OP's confusion I was trying to dumb it down as much as possible.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, appleboy said:

For this year. Then their will be a couple of mil of bonuses pushed to next year

But not if you trade Halak, right?

plus the buyout roll over of 2.4 mil. next year you will need to resign Boeser and hopefully hey can get a deal done that is around what he makes right now. So basically next year will be roughly the same team. No wiggle room to improve.

But after next year, those buyouts are gone too, right?

The year after you will need to resign Miler and Horvat or watch them walk away for nothing.

Are you absolutely sure that in that time period the solution couldn't take place elsewhere? I mentioned OEL and Myers but is their nowhere you can lose cap elsewhere that would be better than a dump Miller and Horvat solution?

3 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

But not if you trade Halak, right?

But after next year, those buyouts are gone too, right?

Are you absolutely sure that in that time period the solution couldn't take place elsewhere? I mentioned OEL and Myers but is their nowhere you can lose cap elsewhere that would be better than a dump Miller and Horvat solution?

Or just clear enough cap space to absorb his bonus. That bonus is 1.5 mil.

Yes the buyout hits are all gone for the next year. 2.4 mil for next then gone.

Edited by appleboy