The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Winter Olympics Beijing

Jaimito

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The person I feel sorry for right now is the Japanese speed skater who tripped over nothing and cost her teammates the Gold in the team pursuit.

Canada won the gold instead, but they were 3 tenths of a second behind with half a lap to go. It was Japan's to win.

Happy for the Canadian women, but wow, that must be devastating for the Japanese skater. The consolation (I suppose) is that it was the final and there were only the two teams competing, so Japan ended up with the Silver. (even though they finished about 11 seconds behind Canada)

I feel bad for the Japanese skater too but the race was way too close to call for Japan.

Canada was behind a bit but have steadily caught up to the pace. Very possible Canada would have won even if no accident happened. 

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

She’s in a sport where 99% of the success comes from the money and technology put into the sled.

How bobsled has even survived as a sport over some other sports is beyond me. Does anybody even watch it honestly?

As we have the biggest track in the country locally I've gone to several events. But mostly it is to drink mulled wine with others more than the event itself. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

I feel bad for the Japanese skater too but the race was way too close to call for Japan.

Canada was behind a bit but have steadily caught up to the pace. Very possible Canada would have won even if no accident happened. 

This pic says it all. She is the older sibling of the other skater on the team. On the NBC feed, the announcer mentioned she had fallen before in races in the past, but I can't find the exact one. They were 2018 Olympic champions, so they sure know the ups and downs of winning and losing.

resized.speed6_.0215-1024x757.jpg

https://japan-forward.com/speed-skating-heartbreak-on-ice-nana-takagi-falls-on-final-turn-as-japan-settles-for-silver/

Teammates Miho Takagi, Nana’s younger sister, and Ayano Sato embraced her in an emotional moment for all of them. Tears flooded down Nana Takagi’s face.

It was a moment for teammates to process the pain together, and Miho Takagi explained why she had to be there to support her sister.

“I just wanted to be close to her and give her a hug,” Miho Takagi said, according to The Associated Press. “In this event, to fall, we understand the pressure will be on. We cannot turn it around, we cannot change it. That is frustrating.”

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

3 tenths of a second is quite a lot to make up in 1 lap in speed skating, coming out of the last bend canada was still behind. japanese have a lot of pride, it'll be hard for her to live down not because she fell but when and how she fell on the final corner on the final lap on the biggest stage of her life with the gold medal in their grasp.. if she fell earlier or if this was any other race.. oh well better luck next time.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

3 tenths of a second is quite a lot to make up in 1 lap in speed skating, coming out of the last bend canada was still behind. japanese have a lot of pride, it'll be hard for her to live down not because she fell but when and how she fell on the final corner on the final lap on the biggest stage of her life with the gold medal in their grasp.. if she fell earlier or if this was any other race.. oh well better luck next time.

I remember we were one tenth of a second behind at half lap. All I'm saying is it is way too close to call for anyone at that point. They look neck and neck to me coming in the last bend. 

Not saying it doesn't sucks for the Japanese skater to fall at that moment. It definitely could have costed them the gold. But don't treat it as Canada was in no position to win and we need to all thank our lucky stars or anything.

Edited by 24K PureCool

27 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I remember we were one tenth of a second behind at half lap. All I'm saying is it is way too close to call for anyone at that point. They look neck and neck to me coming in the last bend. 

Not saying it doesn't sucks for the Japanese skater to fall at that moment. It definitely could have costed them the gold. But don't treat it as Canada was in no position to win and we need to all thank our lucky stars or anything.

they were 0.32 secs behind at the last half of the lap, as soon as the jap skater fell the 2 lead skater stopped skating and glided to the finish line. entering the final lap canada was 0.39 seconds behind.. and at the half way they were 0.32 behind.. so it took them half a lap to shave 0.07seconds.. unless the japanese falls off the map from their avg and have to hit almost 15 sec on the last half laps which would be an anomaly.. they have never had a half lap time close to 15 sec except during the race against ROC when they were well clear of them and started slowing down to conserve energy.. it's not possible to shave 0.32 sec off half a lap to go.. happy canada won but yes it's a lucky gold nevertheless it was impressive.. these jap women ain't the world record holder for nothing.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

they were 0.32 secs behind at the last half of the lap, as soon as the jap skater fell the 2 lead skater stopped skating and glided to the finish line. entering the final lap canada was 0.39 seconds behind.. and at the half way they were 0.32 behind.. so it took them half a lap to shave 0.07seconds.. unless the japanese falls off the map from their avg and have to hit almost 15 sec on the last half laps which would be an anomaly.. they have never had a half lap time close to 15 sec except during the race against ROC when they were well clear of them and started slowing down to conserve energy.. it's not possible to shave 0.32 sec off half a lap to go.. happy canada won but yes it's a lucky gold nevertheless it was impressive.. these jap women ain't the world record holder for nothing.

Let's agree to disagree cause I remeber it differently and really not important enough to dig into it.

Canada also ain't 5 time straight world cup champions in this event for nothing either. 

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Let's agree to disagree cause I remeber it differently and really not important enough to dig into it.

Canada also ain't 5 time straight world cup champions in this event for nothing either. 

really doesn't require digging it's literally on the video that show them winning the last 2 split time lol.

not saying canada suck, they have as good a chance and probably was favorite to win but this race they weren't going to win gold if the jap didn't wipe out based on the splits

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

really doesn't require digging it's literally on the video that show them winning the last 2 split time lol.

not saying canada suck, they have as good a chance and probably was favorite to win but this race they weren't going to win gold if the jap didn't wipe out based on the splits

You're offensive pal. This might have gone over in the 50's, but not now, not ever!

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I feel a little sorry for her. She’s now a scapegoat for a cruel, abusive and doping Russian coaching system that constantly chances it despite the entire world knowing what they’re up to.

I think it’s possible to state that she shouldn’t be competing while also recognising that technically she’s still a child.

It would have been better for her mental well-being if she had been disqualified, given the scrutiny and criticism aimed at her just now.

And even with all that scrutiny and criticism she still finished first in the Short Program.  That's a tough-minded young woman.

Just now, goalie13 said:

Sports like bobsled and speedskating have so many different events.  I totally think the Olympics could have a 3-on-3 hockey tourney in addition to the regular hockey tourney and it would be awesome.

Like curling mixed doubles