The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Winter Olympics Beijing

Jaimito

6 hours ago, Jaimito said:

That was a clutch shot to win the game by Brad.  Had some rough luck before they asked for the ice to be cleaned....a few picks.  

I like the US team, if we hadn't been in it I'd be cheering for them. Well, except Hamilton (because he was complaining about the ice clean request).

Another article from SI about Kamila Valieva:

Kamila Valieva’s Collapse Was a Fitting End to a Controversial Olympics

BEIJING — And finally, after the worst week of her life culminated in the worst performance of her life, after she became the face of a problem she did not cause, after an eye chart’s worth of international organizations took her to court, after every adult around her failed her, the child listened, weeping, as her coach yelled at her.

“Why did you let it go?” Eteri Tutberidze demanded. “Explain it to me—why? Why did you stop fighting? You let it go after that axel. Why?”

Kamila Valieva did not answer.

https://www.si.com/olympics/2022/02/17/kamila-valieva-collapse-fitting-end-to-controversial-olympics?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_3733684

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Another article from SI about Kamila Valieva:

Kamila Valieva’s Collapse Was a Fitting End to a Controversial Olympics

BEIJING — And finally, after the worst week of her life culminated in the worst performance of her life, after she became the face of a problem she did not cause, after an eye chart’s worth of international organizations took her to court, after every adult around her failed her, the child listened, weeping, as her coach yelled at her.

“Why did you let it go?” Eteri Tutberidze demanded. “Explain it to me—why? Why did you stop fighting? You let it go after that axel. Why?”

Kamila Valieva did not answer.

https://www.si.com/olympics/2022/02/17/kamila-valieva-collapse-fitting-end-to-controversial-olympics?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_3733684

That's messed up. 

I really feel for this girl. 

In a Slate article written by Rita Wenxin Wang she claims  

" that " Eteri girls" talk openly about not being able to drink water in competitions. 

They do their best to delay puberty by only eating powdered nutrients or by taking Lupron a puberty blocker known to induce menopause. 

They are subjected to daily public weigh ins and verbal and physical abuse. 

And they compete injured while huffing Smelling salts while wearing knee braces and collapsing in pain after programs " 

Tutberidze was rewarded for this in 2020 receiving the inaugural Best Coach Award from the International Skating Union. 

If all this is true she is a child abuser pure and simple and should not be allowed near a child let alone coach.

I am not sure if I can post the link, however put

Slate figure skating abuse

into your search engine and the link should come up.

• Vintage 1

It's horrific. I mean, I get upset over elephants/animals being used in circuses....these are human beings. Children, really. Being forced to do things so others can live their dreams and profit off their backs.

I had no idea. I loved figure skating but will look at it in a whole different light. This can't be allowed to happen. I don't blame them for hating skating.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

51 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

That's messed up. 

I really feel for this girl. 

In a Slate article written by Rita Wenxin Wang she claims  

" that " Eteri girls" talk openly about not being able to drink water in competitions. 

They do their best to delay puberty by only eating powdered nutrients or by taking Lupron a puberty blocker known to induce menopause. 

They are subjected to daily public weigh ins and verbal and physical abuse. 

And they compete injured while huffing Smelling salts while wearing knee braces and collapsing in pain after programs " 

Tutberidze was rewarded for this in 2020 receiving the inaugural Best Coach Award from the International Skating Union. 

If all this is true she is a child abuser pure and simple and should not be allowed near a child let alone coach.

I am not sure if I can post the link, however put

Slate figure skating abuse

into your search engine and the link should come up.

The link is:

https://slate.com/culture/2022/02/kamila-valieva-coach-eteri-tutberidze-abuse-russia-doping.html

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

It's horrific. I mean, I get upset over elephants/animals being used in circuses....these are human beings. Children, really. Being forced to do things so others can live their dreams and profit off their backs.

I had no idea. I loved figure skating but will look at it in a whole different light. This can't be allowed to happen. I don't blame them for hating skating.

I see a correlation between this and Gymnastics.

If you do a bit of research, child abuse seems to be rampant in both these sports involving girls.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1097168/figure-skating-jessica-shuran-yu-abuse

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/08/french-ice-skating-president-resigns-over-sexual-abuse-scandal

One other thought about Valieva:  IF she is found to have used performance enhancing drugs, suspicion will also fall on her coach, Eteri Tutberidze.  Who also coaches     
Anna Shcherbakova, the gold medal winner, and  Alexandra Trusova, the silver medal winner.   Hence, suspicion will fall on them as well.  And what about all the other young women who have spent years training (presumably drug free) for an event like this?  They may have been cheated out of winning an Olympic medal.

The whole thing is just such an unfortunate mess.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Cheers brother.

Sometimes I am unaware if I am allowed to post the link due to copyright.

I don't think any publication is concerned about links to their articles.  In fact, I would guess they would welcome it.  It attracts readers to their site.

It's when someone starts to copy and paste the entire article to a site such as this that they might object.

But, then again, I'm not a copyright lawyer.   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

I don't think any publication is concerned about links to their articles.  In fact, I would guess they would welcome it.  It attracts readers to their site.

It's when someone starts to copy and paste the entire article to a site such as this that they might object.

But, then again, I'm not a copyright lawyer.   

Yeah I think ideally what you would do is copy a couple sentences to make a talking point, then add the link for others to gain more context/fact check/pique their interest.

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

One other thought about Valieva:  IF she is found to have used performance enhancing drugs, suspicion will also fall on her coach, Eteri Tutberidze.  Who also coaches     
Anna Shcherbakova, the gold medal winner, and  Alexandra Trusova, the silver medal winner.   Hence, suspicion will fall on them as well.  And what about all the other young women who have spent years training (presumably drug free) for an event like this?  They may have been cheated out of winning an Olympic medal.

The whole thing is just such an unfortunate mess.

Figure skating used to be one of my favourite events to watch, especially the worlds and Olympics. There has been so many fiasco's in the last 10 years that leave you wondering what in hell is going on? The fact that they had to change the scoring because of corrupt judging, to the mess it is now....really? These kids are set up to be pawns, and as we've seen with the latest revelations regarding Valieva. This kid is 15, and probably will never set foot on the ice ever again.

Doping? Don't get me started. This sport is like the East German swimming association used to manufacture swimmers in the 60's, and the Chinese in the early 2000's.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Sweden's Niklas Edin team is super clutch, I'm happy they got the gold. 

The thing with curling is, there's not a team I don't like. If Canada's out, I still am interested and there are some really good, hard fought battles.

Congrats to team Sweden for getting a gold to complete their collection.