The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Winter Olympics Beijing

Jaimito

11 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Figure skating used to be one of my favourite events to watch, especially the worlds and Olympics. There has been so many fiasco's in the last 10 years that leave you wondering what in hell is going on? The fact that they had to change the scoring because of corrupt judging, to the mess it is now....really? These kids are set up to be pawns, and as we've seen with the latest revelations regarding Valieva. This kid is 15, and probably will never set foot on the ice ever again.

Doping? Don't get me started. This sport is like the East German swimming association used to manufacture swimmers in the 60's, and the Chinese in the early 2000's.

Me too.

I really hate how the adults/coaches appear to be using these kids as their own path to success rather than being mentors and role models who HELP them find success. It's heartbreaking to see them so broken and the team's handling of these children is seemingly abusive as it doesn't put their well being in the forefront.

I'm glad to hear they're also going to raise the age of competitors as these kids can't protect themselves against the vultures.

• Upvote 2

I watched the women's mass start....after seeing the segment on how depressed Blondin was after the last Olympics, I was really pulling for her. The amount of pressure some of these athletes place on themselves is massive.

Pretty strategic race, she did will not to be hauled down but, as she said, she may have jumped out too early at the end there. Was still a great medal win for her, she looked super happy and she deserved that.

22 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Me too.

I really hate how the adults/coaches appear to be using these kids as their own path to success rather than being mentors and role models who HELP them find success. It's heartbreaking to see them so broken and the team's handling of these children is seemingly abusive as it doesn't put their well being in the forefront.

I'm glad to hear they're also going to raise the age of competitors as these kids can't protect themselves against the vultures.

I guess you could certainly add gymnastics to the mix. So many of these "kids" all have unbelievable talent, but all it takes is a terrible program, terribly run, to undermine all these kids are working towards. My great niece in the US of A, was heading into that cycle. Tops in her age group in Washington State, she decided to take a huge step back, she competes but, not where I'm sure the headhunters were wanting her to be.

Add in all the "characters", like the Michigan State case, and you wonder who or why anyone wants to put their child at risk. When you hear of the headhunters in Russia, China, and the US of A, and how they try to identify "talent" at an early age, you have to wonder who gives them this authority to make that decision. Some parents though are going all in on this as they see the bright lights and dollar signs over the welfare of their kids. Vultures is a great description.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Congrats to the Slovaks winning their first ever medal in hockey (Bronze). Seeing them give each other their medals was awesome. 

I just sent their Government an E mail of congratulations.

Love it when somebody/place/country accomplishes a first time thing.

Olympic sportsmanship is not dead....

Canada's Laurent Dubreuil won Silver, after his Dutch opponent deliberately slowed down after exiting the inner lane of the 1000 metre event. Dubreuil had the higher top speed and his opponent Kai Verbij knew he was beat and that continuing at the pace he was at would interfere with Dubreil's race, likely costing him a medal....

So the Dutchman slowed up and finished about 6 seconds behind the eventual Silver medalist....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/winter-olympics/opponents-classy-act-of-sportsmanship-allows-canadian-skater-to-secure-medal/ar-AAU2hGv?li=AAggFp5

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

US didn't medal in the last alpine skiing even which pretty much grantees Canada finish ahead of the US in total medal count, but now it looks like the German will overtake us for third in medal count leaving Canada in fourth in total medal count.

Not a bad haul at 25/26 medals but the lack of gold does have one raise an eyebrow.