The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Winter Olympics Beijing

Jaimito

Is it just me or do the Winter Olympics need better more/better sports?

In comparison to the Summer games or the World Cup this is not very entertaining imo.

The skating events have been good but really these games could be so much better with NBA basketball participating and of course NHL players in Men's hockey.

Curling and and sliding and skiing/snowboarding not doing it for me..

9 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

US commentator is so bitter right now. :gocan:

I don't know why, TBH. This game didn't really mean much in the long run.....

I suppose it gives Canada some confidence moving forward (and a slightly easier path) but it's a pretty safe bet that these two teams will meet again in the Gold Medal game and if we think the Americans will be intimidated by a loss in which they had twice as many shots on goal as their opponents, we're kidding ourselves. They'll likely be every bit as confident as TC....

Canada should enjoy the win, but they're going to have to do it again....

9 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

In comparison to the Summer games or the World Cup this is not very entertaining imo.

The skating events have been good but really these games could be so much better with NBA basketball participating and of course NHL players in Men's hockey.

It's always been kind of odd that Basketball is considered a Summer Olympics sport, but I can understand why the IOC (and the NBA) prefer it that way. The Summer games are bigger and higher profile and they happen in the off season for the pros....

Ah its a bummer.  My wifes second cousin (or cousin can't remember) was there for skiing and to do 3 events.  Ended up tearing her ACL on the weekend in training right before.  I was excited to see her compete too so the olympics suck right now for us.

• Huggy Bear 1

22 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Seems like you're not the only one:

https://www.si.com/olympics/2022/02/08/nbc-on-track-lowest-tv-ratings-winter-olympics-beijing?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_3667641

NBC on Track for Lowest-Rated Winter Olympics in American Television History

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Seems like you're not the only one:

https://www.si.com/olympics/2022/02/08/nbc-on-track-lowest-tv-ratings-winter-olympics-beijing?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_3667641

NBC on Track for Lowest-Rated Winter Olympics in American Television History

That really doesn't tell much these days as tv ratings (those that actually watch on a cable service) have been falling all over the place. The whole thing is also broadcast on their peacock streaming service and you only have to pay $5 to watch the whole thing and then cancel the subscription.

This quote in the article kinda explain the whole thing.:

"While television viewers are down, streaming continues to see massive increases. The first four days topped one billion streaming minutes, marking the fastest ever for a Winter Games. That puts NBC and Peacock on pace to surpass the total of 2.17 billion minutes from PyeongChang by the end of this week."

For me it is more about Canada's poor performance so far in these games. Really hard to get exited when we barely won any gold and silver. At least we are collecting bronze like no one's business.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Maybe some hope for Canada to get another medal. 

I doubt it.. the person in question is the 15 year old.. and because she's under the age of 16.. she's considered a protected person.. hence the legal issue right now and they might just get a slap on the wrist due to her being "naive" since she's under age. If it was as simple as they got caught doping would have been disqualified already and not this delay and legal consultation 

Edited by wai_lai416

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

I doubt it.. the person in question is the 15 year old.. and because she's under the age of 16.. she's considered a protected person.. hence the legal issue right now and they might just get a slap on the wrist due to her being "naive" since she's under age. If it was as simple as they got caught doping would have been disqualified already and not this delay and legal consultation 

That sound wrong. At this level of sports a 5 year old should be disqualified for doping.

That would set a dangerous precedent where doping becomes legal and accepted just cause an competitor is under 16. 

And given Russia's doping history they shouldn't get off so easily.

Well I guess we will she what she does on. Is it is one of those pain killers with trace amount of banned substances than fine. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

39 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

That sound wrong. At this level of sports a 5 year old should be disqualified for doping.

That would set a dangerous precedent where doping becomes legal and accepted just cause an competitor is under 16. 

And given Russia's doping history they shouldn't get off so easily.

Well I guess we will she what she does on. Is it is one of those pain killers with trace amount of banned substances than fine. 

Who knows regardless she will get off much easily than someone that's over the age of 16. I mean at that age I doubt she even knows what the hell her trainers and coach gives her.. 

Who knows regardless she will get off much easily than someone that's over the age of 16. I mean at that age I doubt she even knows what the hell her trainers and coach gives her.. 

Well I don't think she should be banned or suspended given her age but disqualification should be fair game especially when trainers are involved in a team event especially coming from the Russians. 

Aren’t a lot of summer Olympic girl gymnasts U-16?  Doping is doping, regardless of the participant’s age.  If this girl is juicing, she (and her team) should be and will be disqualified from the competition.  

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

I hope it does turn out to be something like this.

Kamila Valieva is, IMO, one of the star attractions of these Olympics.  I watched her performances in these team events and was looking forward to see whether she would break her own World Records in the short and long program.  It would be quite disappointing to find out she was doing it with drugs.